Thoughts on Defense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on Defense

I've been watching video of Morrow and Edmunds and it gets me to thinking that we will be more aggressive. I see more speed and 2 guys who can cover ground quickly and attack like they have a rocket up their ass. They both seem long and athletic and can get to balls that come into their areas. Adding Dean to the mix and I think we are better vs the run and pass. Time will tell, but the only negative I see is the loss of Hargrave. If they add a Kancey at DT or one of the edge rushers, we could be a very stout, but quick defense. I'm giddy at what Howie has done . Offensively I see us as being slightly less deep on the line, we should be able to score with anyone, but if the defense can take even a small step forward, we are in a sweet position once again. I'm pretty stoked to see what we add. These 4 top draft picks could put us over the top. Hit a couple homers Howie !!
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

maybe it's just me but I think we will be better in the defensive backfield than we were last year. we have got to be if we want to win the big one.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

The biggest variable is the defensive coordinator / system. He could well utilize the players better, and give us a better defense even if we don't have as much talent. Or, he could be worse and make a lot of Gannon's early mistakes. He at least has some NFL DC experience, but not lots. But yes, there is hope even though we had tons of free agents signed away. I suspect we'll be targeting DL early and often in the draft, as Graham / Cox / Barnett are all free agents again. And Sweat's deal is done after 2024. But somewhat like the Chiefs last year, we will depend on draft picks playing well I think.

Comment

I think Howie has done a good job in FA considering the number of losses and the available cap space. I don’t think they are better today. Edward and Hargrave both had pretty stellar years. The birds are sitting better than I thought though. Getting the draft right on defense and the team will be right up there with and team in the NFC.
        I have a sneaking suspicion Howie has a big defensive draft move us his sleeve and it isn’t Carter.
        Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
        Hope is not a strategy
        RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
          I think Howie has done a good job in FA considering the number of losses and the available cap space. I don’t think they are better today. Edward and Hargrave both had pretty stellar years. The birds are sitting better than I thought though. Getting the draft right on defense and the team will be right up there with and team in the NFC.
          I have a sneaking suspicion Howie has a big defensive draft move us his sleeve and it isn’t Carter.
          Carter just didn't look all that good in his workout , I have a problem with a guy in the biggest moment in his career not being at his best
          We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post

Carter just didn't look all that good in his workout , I have a problem with a guy in the biggest moment in his career not being at his best
            That scares the hell out of me too. Then you look at his game film and the guy is a beast. it doesn't make sense. Maybe he's just immature and he will slip to us at 10. We'll see how Howie works it out but in at all fairness I would say in the past he's been very up and down. Remember after Nick's first season all of Philadelphia was screaming for Howie's head. Now everybody loves a winner, Damn I hope he nails that pick! How many times are we going to get a draft position like this again?

Comment

I don’t think right now the defense is as good as it was last year. For one thing, everyone is a year older. For another we lost Hargrave plus some DL depth without replacing them. In the secondary, we lost CJ and replaced him with Edmunds. No reason why this can’t be neutral or even a net positive, but we won’t know for a while. They also play different positions - Edmonds is SS / LB whereas CJ is more of a FS. In that sense maybe the comps should be Epps / Edmunds and CJ / Blankenship. I do think the draft can change all this if we go heavy on D. My real question is this: our vaunted D last year did nothing when it counted most. To me, this is largely a product of current NFL rules that heavily favor the offense. Soooo …. should we get a stud RB or another WR or TE (in a deep TE class) and make our offense unstoppable. Not saying ignore the D, but I would split early picks reasonably evenly between D and O.
              Russian reporters to Bobby Clarke: Can you imagine hockey without fights?
              Robert Earle Clarke's response: Can you imagine vodka without alcohol?

Comment

60 has been clamoring for Robinson for a while and has started to back off that a little bit. I heard one of the analysts one day that got me really thinking . I He mentioned that the Birds see a lot of light boxes because of Hurts abilities. Someone like Robinson would really be able to exploit that. Consider if you will when one of our lighter backs ran 7,8,9 yards before anyone laid a finger on them. Now imagine a dancing freight train like Robinson who will never get caught by an arm tackle. I started watching his tape. He never gets out over his feet. He reminds me of a north / south Barry Sanders. He’s potentially the best back of the 2020’s. With all our weapons, we could be looking at a 35 PPG offense and that should be enough to beat most anyone. Let the Defense work into shape till the end of the year

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
                  60 has been clamoring for Robinson for a while and has started to back off that a little bit. I heard one of the analysts one day that got me really thinking . I He mentioned that the Birds see a lot of light boxes because of Hurts abilities. Someone like Robinson would really be able to exploit that. Consider if you will when one of our lighter backs ran 7,8,9 yards before anyone laid a finger on them. Now imagine a dancing freight train like Robinson who will never get caught by an arm tackle. I started watching his tape. He never gets out over his feet. He reminds me of a north / south Barry Sanders. He’s potentially the best back of the 2020’s. With all our weapons, we could be looking at a 35 PPG offense and that should be enough to beat most anyone. Let the Defense work into shape till the end of the year
                  i'm not really backing off MM, I just said that Penny was a great signing because the Eagles won't pick a running back Perry can be a bulldozer.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post

… Perry can be a bulldozer.
                    …. but only if he stays healthy, which he has not been able to do, perhaps bc of his violent running style.

btw, I am not necessarily saying Robinson, but a RB on day 1 or early 2. Gibbs also offers an interesting skill set with his catching ability and blazing speed.

Russian reporters to Bobby Clarke: Can you imagine hockey without fights?
                    Robert Earle Clarke's response: Can you imagine vodka without alcohol?

Comment

I am a believer that Sermon may be a secret weapon this year. Having said that I will say that teams fro around the league devalue, for lack of a better term, RBs now. So it isn’t just the Eagles and it results in guys being available later than one thinks they should be. Birds don’t have mid round picks
                      right now but there should be good value in rd 2 or 3.
                      Hope is not a strategy
                      RIP

Comment

I am a believer that Sermon may be a secret weapon this year. Having said that I will say that teams fro around the league devalue, for lack of a better term, RBs now. So it isn’t just the Eagles and it results in guys being available later than one thinks they should be. Birds don’t have mid round picks
                        I've wondered why Sermon hasn't been as effective as I think he could be, so I looked for some pre-draft scouting on him. It appears that the main issues are in his head (trusting his eyes, confidence). Both of these things are surmountable.
                        All Combine and Draft-Related Analysis, News, Video, and Biographical Information for Trey Sermon

Comment

Philly is his second team. He has talent and has had a little coaching now. If he isn’t a player this next year I don’t think he will be a player.
                          Hope is not a strategy
                          RIP

Comment

I don't know about that value stuff ND. That's what the Weasel always did and mostly got squat when we had the best quarterback in the NFC. I always want to move up and get talent but that's just me. I want stars not bargains, I don't even know what the heck value is. This guy had the player in the third round and they got him in the 4th, So what's the terrific value? How is it at 32 other teams didn't take him? I just don't get it.

Comment

I loved Sermon when he was a freshman at Oklahoma. I thought he was going to be a star. But he has had a lot of injuries. I just don't see him ever breaking into the lineup.

I do think the defense can actually be better next year than this year. That might sound crazy but if the draft falls right and we could get Tyree Wilson/Myles Murphy and then maybe Breese or Cancy towards the end of the first round the pass rush will actually be better. We will only have lost Hargraves on the DL.

Yeah, I get that we lost TJ but he was good not great IMO and Kyzir White is a nice story but Dean I think has the potential to be better.
                              You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Working...
                              X