Clear All

• teams are getting wise to Howie

You are here: Blog Description
    | Login

Mickey Loomis not eager to do more deals with Eagles GM Howie Roseman
    Aug
    8/25/2023 4:31:05 PM
    | More
    New Orleans Saints general manager Mickey Loomis acknowledged in an interview that doing a deal with Roseman can a losing proposition.

“Well I think Howie Roseman is one of those guys, he’s very smart,” Loomis said during an interview with former Eagles defensive end Chris Long on the Green Light Podcast. “Look, Howie and I have done some deals in the past. He’s really a bright guy. He’s done a great job in Philly. But he’s also one of those guys where I have to keep both hands in my back pockets when I’m talking to Howie. And I mean that in the most complimentary way.”

Roseman has gotten the better of Loomis recently.

iThe Eagles traded two 2022 first-round picks (No. 16 and No. 19) and a sixth-rounder (No. 190) prior to the 2022 NFL Draft for a 2022 first-round pick (No. 1, a third (No. 101), a seventh (No. 237), a 2023 first (No. 10), and a 2024 second-rounder (TBD).

The Eagles later traded the No. 18 and No. 101 into A.J. Brown, who broke the team’s single-season receiving record last season with 1,496 yards.

This year, the Eagles traded No. 10 and a 2024 fourth-rounder to Chicago to land Georgia defensive lineman Jalen Carter.

Last August, the two general managers made another deal, the Eagles acquiring safety C.J. Gardner-Johnson and a 2025 seventh-round pick for a 2023 fifth and a 2024 sixth.

So it's understandable why Loomis is reliuctant to answer the phone when Roseman calls.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

The trade for the future first was more about how did the Saints think they were going to do in the 2022 season -- if they made the playoffs, that pick would have been worth far far less. They were probably assuming they were going to be better. Still, they ended up with two first round picks last year, and maybe that will still turn out well for them. If the Eagles had beaten the Saints in the Minshew game, I think we would have been picking 8th and not needed the sweetener to move up (though probably would have used it anyways to make sure they landed him).

Comment

I’m sure the vast majority of GMs know Howie has come out on top of most deals recently. However they don’t go into deals blindly. They needed something and Howie had something to give them. You give up something based on how badly you want that something. Evidently they wanted what Howie was giving pretty badly or they wouldn’t have done it. People will still make deals with Howie although they might ask around a little more before settling with Howie.
      Hell if you need a DT right now Howie may be your best bet to deal with.
      Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
      Hope is not a strategy
      RIP

Comment

Working...
      X