Just for fun.........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just for fun.........

Nobody is gonna be right or wrong but just for some lively discussion............

List your top 5 reasons that this team has underperformed this year(based on generally accepted pre season national themes) and finds themselves with their backs against the wall and looking up from 5 and 6.

1 being the biggest reason and 5 being the least (in your list)...............
    ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

5. Up and down defensive play and schemes. Lack of push up front has caused some lapses in the rear. Lack of focus has hurt this D at times as had the lousy reverting to a soft coverage at times (ie the Bears game). While they have played some stellar goal line work, I'm not real impressed with the over all redzone body or work.

4. McNabbs play in general.... may or may not be more on Reid, not sure -- but he was not ready to come back IMO. He has been very inconsistent in a league where they will make you pay if you aren't. Lost some speed and quickness not only from his legs but i think from his mental game as well.... now I see this improving as the year goes on but -- and this is truly hindsight since I didn't see him practice and rehab and all of that stuff, but maybe he should have been eased back in or played more in the fake phony games to get a better feel --- but he wasn't ready. It's obviously a risk and they choose wrong this time. And IMO it was a mistake. But I'm not sure, cause I don't portend to know, that we(you or I) still wouldn't have done the same thing based on the info at hand.

3. Poor Redzone play on O. Too many chances with too few points as a result. This is not all on #5, a lot on the MM, and a lot of other players sucked inside the 20.

2. Poor St's play.......... IMO, directly cost us not only the GB game but cost us a lot in the mental game going forward... I think we all and they all and the national guys all also thought this team had a shot at going 5 and 0 going into the Bears game............. and I think the GB game took a lot out of this team. That also doesn't factor in the rest of the year where ST's (overall) has been at best below average.

1. Lack of Turnovers and T/O differential. Yes IMO this is the biggest reason. We have lost the ball at critical times and have not created many T/O in corresponding times for ourselves and even when we have, we haven't done much with them. I'm not gonna throw out any stats, in fact I haven't even looked any up....... just what my eyes tell me. You HAVE to win the T/O battle in the NFL-- you have to stop the other guy and give your O more chances to score. And our D and ST's has failed here all year long.

Re: Just for fun.........

1. McNabb's play - He's a step slow and has been ineffectual most of the time.
    2. Special Team's play - Fumbles cost us the first game, and Reno Mahe is not a star performer.
    3. Lack of a competent RB to complement Westbrook. We need someone else to help carry the load. Westbrook should be drawing two salaries.
    4. Injuries in the defensive backfield. Every safety and Lito has been injured. Hard to get consistency when you don't have the same players from week-to-week. Still, the defense has played very well this season. Big improvement against the run!
    5. Lack of consistent play from the DL. Patterson has been consistent against the run, but he isn't much of a pass rusher. Cole is a great pass rusher, but is neutralized by the best OT's and is very weak against the run. Other DL have been mediocre.
    "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

5 -- George W Bush
      4 -- that damn 2nd gunman on the grassy knoll
      3 -- Global warming
      2 -- CIA is using mind-control rays and McNabb ran out of aluminum foil to line his house
      1 -- No Freddie Mitchell

Comment

LOL..........

Comment

1. McNabb's play and leadership. Just too many missed passes or bad reads or holding of the ball too long cost us longer drives and more points in close losses. He also doesn't seem to fire up or inspire his teammates anymore. Something just isn't right with 5 in 2007

2. Lack of health and quality depth in the D-Backfield. Considine was not the answer when healthy. Dawk and Lito are just now getting back to themselves. Will James is pathetic. His off-season thoughts that he was going to start is laughable as I watch him play. Hanson is better.

3. Returns game. It's awful. I saw some nice holes Sunday Night and Buck just ran right into someone. There is no threat there and thus our average starting position is sub average. Mahe can field a punt and occasionally come up with a 10-15 yard return by surprising the opposition....but there is no real threat

4. Growing pains for youth on D. I think JJ is just now learning what he has in some of these young guys. Gocong finally got to rush the passer. Gaither is excellent in coverage. Bunkley is getting better. Hanson is better than James. He is finally using some of these guys correctly

5. same faulty playcalling from past seasons. I still get upset when I watch some of the playcalls on offense. Throwing on 1st and 10 with a 10 point lead, etc...
          The prevent D vs the Bears cost us a game that may ultimately keep us out of the playoffs. I know JJ won't make that mistake twice...but he did it once and that could be enough to sink us

all but # 3 are fixable in these last 5 games. Go with Feeley. DB's are getting healthy and better. JR Reed looks better than I thought back there. JJ seems to have figured out some of his toys. Playcalling got better vs the Pats. keep it up!

Comment

5. McNabb's injury recovery.

4. Defensive play calling.

3. Special teams play.

2. Lack of defensive turnovers.

1. Offensive play calling/schemes.
            Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

5. ST's- Akers has not been as money for some odd reason, Bloom the China Doll dicked us, and having a brand new coach always has a learning curve.
              4. O-line- We were spoiled last year with a group that played together the whole year. It largely accounted for our surge to end the season.

3. D-line- Yes, Bunkley was in his second year, but it was more like his first because of how little he played last year. Kearse, like McNabb, may be able to step on the field after Major knee surgery, but, like McNabb, he is still not 100%. Howard has started to play better, but he blew in weeks 1-10. Pass rush has been absent when needed most.
              2. Secondary- Injuries/Lack of depth/Age have made this group vulnerable to teams with more than one WR threat.

1. Coaching- (Pats game was best coached game in three years, so that doesn't count) Horrible in-game adjustments (or the lack thereof) I mean after Osi's 2nd sack, how do you not get Justice help? Or, the Bears game when they were in the 1 min. drill? Or, the Packers game where we have a new coordinator and a return man who has only been there a week? What I want to know is how could they be so well-prepared for the best team in the league, and then so ill-prepared for everyone else (besides Detroit).

Comment

1. Poor coaching on offense. Winston Justice didn't get enough help against the Jints, Buckhalter should've gotten more carries when Westbrook went down, and the choice to start a 70% (80%?) DMac to start the season has turned out to be the wrong one (ok, I don't know when AJ's broken hand healed -- that's the X-factor there). Going with the pass first offense on a windy day against the 30th-ranked rushing defense in the NFL was also not a good plan. Where were the motion routes when our WR's were getting held up at the line early in the year by press coverage?

2. Poor play from DMac. Doesn't need explanation, though I believe that this was mostly due to the knee, and then his thumb. Began to show progress as the year went along and he regained his mobility. It'll be interesting to see what happens through the end of this year (and even into next year, assuming he's healthy), not sure if he's back in green next year though.

3. Poor coaching and personnel on defense. Just no way that Chicago should win a game with two minutes left, starting inside the 10, needing a TD. The defense has been only a work in progress all year. Gaither has been growing into his role, Spikes is finally showing some signs of life, but Kearse and Howard weren't replaced until well into the season, and right now Cole is getting so many reps that he probably won't be productive late into games. Will James...nuff said. Lito was hurt again. Considine is ok but no better than that. So few sacks and so few turnovers. I can't believe that JR Reed didn't get burned repeatedly vs. Moss or Stallworth. If Mikell is out for a long period, I'd be pleasantly surprised if they kept playing like they did vs. the Pats. But I wouldn't expect it.

4. Poor coaching on special teams. Or is this a lack of depth on special teams personnel? We're always starting after kickoff between the 20 and 25, and the opposing teams are always starting at the 30. Someone needs to help Akers get past this Koy Detmer thing, he hasn't been himself outside the 40 this year. I think that he's 2 for 7, and he used to be automatic.

5. On offense, we have a pass-first offense, but no game-changing threats outside of Westbrook. That simply must change, regardless of who's playing QB. LJ has been unhealthy most of the year, and is probably gone after this year. We need at least one true #1 WR and a "real" TE to take LJ's place.
                "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
                — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
                - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

That's an interesting question. Here are some reasons why I see the Eagles wobbling at 5-6.

(1) failure to adjust play-calling to protect McNabb - this should have been a clear focus throughout the season - too much passing and too many sacks (12 in one game!)
                  (2) getting no turnovers and giving away too many turnovers
                  (3) McNabb's average and inconsistent play - granted he was recovering from major surgery but it is what it is
                  (3) lack of sack production by DL, e.g., Kearse and Howard & DTs
                  (3) poor special teams play & lack of a good PR/KR

Comment

5. McNabb's continuing recovery from the knee injury. IMO it affects everything else in his game.

4. Game-plan: Because of McNabb's continuing recovery, the coaches should scheme more to protect him. Not throw more. Run more. Give Justice help when it is apparent that he needs it.

3. Inconsistent ST play. If there was a bona-fide KR/PR threat, field position would not be much of a concern whenever that threat fielded a catch and returned it.

2. No turnovers/ low-to-no T.O. differential.

1. Spotty pass-rush

Comment

why is this injury a reason for McNabb's struggles but it never was in his past 2-3 injuries he has had?

I think we are underemphasizing the QB play for our Eagles this year and covering some issues up with excuses. Feeley threw the ball 42 times and we ran just 17 against the Pats. Nearly a 72% pass to run ratio. Why did that work and it hasn't worked in other games? Would McNabb have been able to do that? Or would we have covered up any of his failures by blaming the coaches for throwing too much?

again. I hope I am wrong. But I know what I see. and what I see is a QB really struggling in certain phases of his game more than he ever has and thus an offense that is so off and on. If the deep ball or the screen is there...he is great. If not....uh oh.

and anyone that knows me knows I have backed McNabb like crazy over his whole career. I have two McNabb jerseys. I have an autographed helmet. I love the guy. But struggles are struggles no matter who you are. He is struggling and I'm not convinced it is all health.

However...if it is health...do us a favor and play Feeley the rest of the way, cuz McNabb should not be out there.

one last time. I'd love to be proved wrong. Right now the occasional decent game with deep balls and successful screens is not enough to prove it to me

Comment

Originally posted by dawkins20
                        why is this injury a reason for McNabb's struggles but it never was in his past 2-3 injuries he has had?
                        Knee injuries are different then most other injuries. Although his hernia was definitely as legitimate excuse for his struggles in 2005; although he still managed to fight through it and post a couple great games.

Feeley threw the ball 42 times and we ran just 17 against the Pats. Nearly a 72% pass to run ratio. Why did that work and it hasn't worked in other games? Would McNabb have been able to do that? Or would we have covered up any of his failures by blaming the coaches for throwing too much?
                        1. The coaches were more creative with their formations. They actually spent some time passing out of 2 TE sets and the such to give a little mystery pre-snap as to what they were going to do instead of just coming out in 3-wide shotgun virtually every time they pass.

2. The Pats played a soft zone which as a team the Eagles do really well against. For examples go back and watch the Detroit game, the Minesota game, the past few Green Bay games before this year.

again. I hope I am wrong. But I know what I see. and what I see is a QB really struggling in certain phases of his game more than he ever has and thus an offense that is so off and on. If the deep ball or the screen is there...he is great. If not....uh oh.
                        Don't take this the wrong way, but maybe what your seeing isn't all that's there. There are a lot of finer points that your average fan doesn't always notice (for instance the aforementioned formation changes). Again I'm not trying to offend you, but how many times do you watch the games? I usually try and watch each game 2-3 times.
                        Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

"I think we are underemphasizing the QB play for our Eagles this year and covering some issues up with excuses. Feeley threw the ball 42 times and we ran just 17 against the Pats. Nearly a 72% pass to run ratio. Why did that work and it hasn't worked in other games? Would McNabb have been able to do that? Or would we have covered up any of his failures by blaming the coaches for throwing too much?"

Dawk I totally disagree that the QB play is being under emphasized at all.

As far as the Pats game goes, it was a classic case of taking what the D is giving. The entire middle of the field was open all night via design of the Pats D -- the O operated within that structure the entire night (till that stupid fateful 2nd pick)!!!

Thats' why it worked and may not have worked in other games. Also the Wr's were not jammed at all, and they did seem to play better.... and i agree (and I think most agree) that the touch pass isn't (never has been) #5s forte.

But again as I said at the start nobody is going to be right or wrong, but you asked a question that I thought I could shed some light on.

Comment

BE-- I'm curious, I read your list and at least 3 of your top 5 was coaching.

While I agree some of this was created by some mistakes by the "non players" -- but in reading your list you cast almost no blame on the 53 players who actually play those 120+ plays each game.

I find that, just IMO, to be mind boggling. No offense intended.

Comment

Originally posted by dawkins20

I think we are underemphasizing the QB play for our Eagles this year and covering some issues up with excuses. Feeley threw the ball 42 times and we ran just 17 against the Pats. Nearly a 72% pass to run ratio. Why did that work and it hasn't worked in other games? Would McNabb have been able to do that? Or would we have covered up any of his failures by blaming the coaches for throwing too much?

and anyone that knows me knows I have backed McNabb like crazy over his whole career. I have two McNabb jerseys. I have an autographed helmet. I love the guy. But struggles are struggles no matter who you are. He is struggling and I'm not convinced it is all health.

However...if it is health...do us a favor and play Feeley the rest of the way, cuz McNabb should not be out there.

one last time. I'd love to be proved wrong. Right now the occasional decent game with deep balls and successful screens is not enough to prove it to me
                              This post accurately describes my feelings right now. The inconsistent QB play, while not competely responsible for the dismal start, certainly has the largest part of the blame ... to me. The poor red zone execution to me has been inexcusable, and Feeley has been nearly perfect in the RZ this year.

I also hope 5 comes back and proves me wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X