X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marty Mo comments on Hank Baskett

I found this quote interesting from philly.com

Hank Baskett-WR- Eagles Jun. 5 - 6:14 pm et

Of Hank Baskett, Eagles coordinator Marty Mornhinweg says "this year we might actually be able to let him catch footballs again. We owe him."

"For two thirds of (last) season our QB couldn't move and our tight end was hurt," Mornhinweg says. "We kept running Baskett out there to freaking block, because the pass rush was killing us. Thank God he was willing to do it. He's a wonderful young man."

Re: Marty Mo comments on Hank Baskett

"He's a wonderful young man." What the hell kind of a statement is that? Hey Marty, you're his football coach. He went into the game and did what you asked him to do, he's not engaged to marry your daughter. Geez!! What is going on? When did going into a game to pick up a block start to be considered as doing the team a favor? I'm really becoming shocked at how little is really expected of players anymore. Agree to block during a game? Hey we owe you one!! Caught selling drugs? No problem just avoid prison agree to enter our rehab program and don't do it again! Caught using drugs? Same deal! Shoot someone? Talk it out with Roger, sit out a year and everything is fine! But beat a dog or engage in dog fighting and you're finished in the NFL!!!! The whole damned attitude is so skewed and distorted it's becoming more bizzare by the week!

This may be sounding like I'm angry - I'm not. Just really surprised at the attitude that getting into a game to block is doing the team a favor. Marty, give me Hank's pay and I'll block all day long and I'll thank you for the opportunity!!!
    Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
    Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Completely disagree Jukin.

In all level of sports players do grunt work and just like in business a good manager/coach/executive should be looking to recognize those that put in that effort without complaining and while - yes - they get paid - and yes - it's their job - people are still human and you need to motivate/reward accordingly.

This actually was a nice quote from MM.
      Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
      Playoff Appearances:
      NFC Title Games:
      Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

Biggie in a microcosm view you're 100% right, but the larger overall trend in the NFL is to allow the players to run the show. From the commissioner on down it seems like players are cowered to. You can't suspend a player without pay for act detrimental to the team (ala TO). Discipline is pretty much nonexistent as evidenced by Pacman, Chris Henry, Leonard Little and Ray Lewis' continued employment in the NFL (not to mention the entire Cowboys and Bengals teams!!)

I understand (and agree in part) with what you're saying. I'm just surprised at the way it was said. In the end I think the problem I'm having is not with Marty's statement really but just the overall attitude towards the players. If were the Player's Rep about to going into the new CBA negotiations I'd be anticipating giving back a little of the 59% they currently get but getting BIG time concessions in non-monetary player benefits (added time off, shorter practices etc.). The atmosphere seems right for the players to come away with some serious concessions in those areas.

Comment

While I can see both sides here is my take -- IN THIS CASE -- here we have a WR who is gonna get paid, in the future, based on how well he progresses and and how many balls he catches, and while being asked to block is part of his job, doing it on a regular basis in lieu of being included in routes doesn't help advance his career.

Hell even here he was being knocked a bit as not doing as well as we all expected, but obviously he was doing what the team asked.

Now here is the other part of that --- of course he did it, it was his job BUT he could have done it sulking, not given his best, whined in the media, been a locker room moaner but obviously he didn't and in todays NFL culture that deserves an atta boy.

So I agree an atta boy can't hurt and in this case I don't think it furthers the case of the players are being coddled too much, JIMHO.

Comment

Baskett's the kind of guy you wish you could clone. Military brat, works hard, is just happy to be in the NFL, and will do everything and anything you ask of him with a passion and energy.

Maybe that's why they're bringing in all of these FB's- to block. Instead of using the WRs.

Comment

I agree it is the job but it isn't his primary job. He did it but didn't sign on to be a blocking back. So I also have to throw him some props. Everyone has packages and when you go in (esp in this O where you may not see a ball for a while) you are hoping to see the ball so you can make something happen. You're not looking to be a blocker whenever you are called in. Now, I agree it is the NFL and you gotta be happy just bein there as an undrafted second year man but you do want more than blocking assignments. Hopefully he gets them this year because the vast majority of fans were throwing him the evil eye because he didn't progress from year one to year two and most were wondering what happened to him.
              Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
              Hope is not a strategy
              RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin
                "He's a wonderful young man." What the hell kind of a statement is that? Hey Marty, you're his football coach. He went into the game and did what you asked him to do, he's not engaged to marry your daughter. Geez!! What is going on? When did going into a game to pick up a block start to be considered as doing the team a favor? I'm really becoming shocked at how little is really expected of players anymore. Agree to block during a game? Hey we owe you one!! Caught selling drugs? No problem just avoid prison agree to enter our rehab program and don't do it again! Caught using drugs? Same deal! Shoot someone? Talk it out with Roger, sit out a year and everything is fine! But beat a dog or engage in dog fighting and you're finished in the NFL!!!! The whole damned attitude is so skewed and distorted it's becoming more bizzare by the week!

This may be sounding like I'm angry - I'm not. Just really surprised at the attitude that getting into a game to block is doing the team a favor. Marty, give me Hank's pay and I'll block all day long and I'll thank you for the opportunity!!!
                There you have it folks - agreeing to block is just as bad as shooting someone.

Comment

Don't give me that shit IMK! Read the post will you! I said the attitude in the NFL is to cower to the players for simply doing their job and there's no discipline for breaking the law. Cut the crap will ya!!

Comment

Don't give me that shit IMK! Read the post will you! I said the attitude in the NFL is to cower to the players for simply doing their job and there's no discipline for breaking the law. Cut the crap will ya!!
                    Good god, man, calm down a bit. Are you stuck without air conditioning or something? I was just joking around with you... I did read the post, and I'm really having a hard time making the same leap you do. Baskett did a good job with something and Marty took a minute to praise him. What's the issue? BP was dead on - we all want to hear a few words of encouragement from the boss now and then, even if we're just doing our jobs. To somehow tie that in with the Vicks and Pacmans of the world takes a Grand Canyon-sized leap.

Comment

Count me in the atta boy Baskett bunch. Thing is he didn't just go block, the sumbitch was the best we had and only Reggie is anywhere near him in talent as a blocker.

Comment

I definitely understand the praise. A WR's resume is based upon catches, yards and TDs. Last year, because our FB's blocking was suspect, LJ was literally lame, and Celek was playing with a bad shoulder that required surgery after the season, we were short on blockers. So Baskett drew a lot more blocking duty than receiving duty last year, not because he wasn't an adequate receiver, but because we were desparate for blockers. When Baskett is looking for a new contract in a few years, he isn't going to have much of a resume in 2007. And it isn't because he wasn't deserving of playing time. It was because his other talents were needed more. While there is a check mark on the resume that the receiver can block. Their 2nd contract is based more on receptions, yards and TDs.

FYI This is how bad things were. Avant played last season with a sports hernia and had it repaired after the season. So they couldn't use him to block either. This also probably explains how Hunt got so far in the dog house after missing the blitz pickup. When Westbrook went down, there wasn't an Eagles back available who could be trusted with blitz pickup. And the only TE we had who was healthy enough to block was Schobel.

After realizing how bad we were hurting for blockers last year with LJ, Celek and Avant injured, and Tapeh, Buckhalter, and Schobel ineffective, I wouldn't be surprised if the Eagles keep 2 FBs if they find 2 that can pick up blitzes. And I bet that Davis's injury history and conditioning is weighing against him being one of them.

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/ ... 41462.html
                        Let's put it bluntly: Jason Davis is more concerned with lifting snacks than lifting weights.

“Yes, I like ice cream, yes, I like donuts,” Davis said. “My eating habits are well noted. I have an insatiable sweet tooth. Who doesn't? I'm blessed to have a coach who's a big man who sympathizes with me.

“I'm not going to win any weight lifting contests. I lift with (skinny quarterback Kevin) Kolb. But I can block.”

I'm looking forward to seeing a lot more of Hank Baskett playing WR this year. And I appreciate a lot more what he did for the offense last year.

Comment

I luve me some baskett

Comment

I'm curious....all these times he was supposedly in to get a block, could he never slip out into teh field for a few recepts? I'm trying to remember just how much we actually even saw of him on the field last season. I don't know, but I think Marty probably just likes the kid and is throwing him a bone, but I could care less how great a blocker he is, I want a great receiving threat out there. All receivers have to do some blocking, it's part of the job for sure, but it's not the skill that is going to keep a receiver on a roster in this league.
                            http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
                              Playoff Appearances:
                              NFC Title Games:
                              Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

Working...
                              X