X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Curtis and Jackson to start at WR

Originally posted by ThoughtProcess
    Originally posted by Vote for Kalas

Yea, Brown sucks, does not fit this team and will be traded during the off-season...ok
    Tough crowd! I did not mean to imply any of that by asking about Brown's cap number. I asked mainly because LT opined that Brown should be an ex-Eagle.
    Sorry, I was responding to LT
    Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Originally posted by Leonard Tose
      Originally posted by FRESH
      And I can understand that argument. I just think you are a little premature with it.
      Maybe. But I had real concerns that Big Red was just going to revert to the Brown-Curtis combo. I'm glad he didn't. Would it have been premature if Brown remained a starter once Curtis came back? Don't think so.
      I think it's very encouraging that Andy is rewarding production and what we can all see on the field here. Considering that he's a rook, I think we'd all have to say that Desean has produced very well. The part of the equation that I don't know about is how well he is doing in other areas of his game, especially at blocking. Now, you are not going to get a little fella like Desean to be some kind of all-world blocker, but if he is going to be on the field as a starter, then he is going to have to pick up some downfield blocks, and help seal guys off on the outside for sweeps and screens. I uess he is dong well enough with that for Andy to make that decision.
      http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

I don't think Brown is a BAD receiver, he's an inconsistent receiver, and he is a tweener. He's not especially fast, not especially great handed, not an especially BIG target.......he be a decent journeyman type receiver. A guy you could plug in here and there to fill a void. Does he still have a place on this team? I dunno. I'd say that depends on the health of Curtis, and the ability of Jackson to sustain and continue to grow as a receiver here. If both go well, I dont know that he would have a spot, any defined role here. I see LT's point. But I also don't think he's worthless, if that is the point being made.
        No journeyman breaks a team rookie record and then has an even better season his 2nd year. He has increased his reception total every year so far and led the team in TD and yards in 2006.

He can play any of the WR positions and can handle being a possession guy and/or a deep threat which he has proven during his time here.

How someone like that has no role here is beyond belief. If he and McNabb could ever get on the field together for a sustained period, he would probably post even better numbers.
        Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

It would cost $2.8MM more to cut/trade Brown than to keep him on the roster in '09

Comment

Originally posted by Vote for Kalas
            I don't think Brown is a BAD receiver, he's an inconsistent receiver, and he is a tweener. He's not especially fast, not especially great handed, not an especially BIG target.......he be a decent journeyman type receiver. A guy you could plug in here and there to fill a void. Does he still have a place on this team? I dunno. I'd say that depends on the health of Curtis, and the ability of Jackson to sustain and continue to grow as a receiver here. If both go well, I dont know that he would have a spot, any defined role here. I see LT's point. But I also don't think he's worthless, if that is the point being made.
            No journeyman breaks a team rookie record and then has an even better season his 2nd year. He has increased his reception total every year so far and led the team in TD and yards in 2006.

He can play any of the WR positions and can handle being a possession guy and/or a deep threat which he has proven during his time here.

How someone like that has no role here is beyond belief. If he and McNabb could ever get on the field together for a sustained period, he would probably post even better numbers.
            Stats, stats, stats. Why don't you throw up a few LJ stats too! There is no room for Brown to start on this team. He is a GAGGER, CHOKER, OVERATED AND BRAINDEAD ballplayer. The kind that get you 8-8 records on good years. I know you bleesd green VFK, but open your eyes for a change. He is the prototype ballplayer this FO has been trying to pass off on us for years. A bargain in the 3rd round. A diamond in the rough that just needs to be coached up. He's a dime a dozen in this league.
            "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60

Stats, stats, stats. Why don't you throw up a few LJ stats too! There is no room for Brown to start on this team. He is a GAGGER, CHOKER, OVERATED AND BRAINDEAD ballplayer. The kind that get you 8-8 records on good years. I know you bleesd green VFK, but open your eyes for a change. He is the prototype ballplayer this FO has been trying to pass off on us for years. A bargain in the 3rd round. A diamond in the rough that just needs to be coached up. He's a dime a dozen in this league.
              I'm starting to get the feeling that Eagle60 doesn't like Reggie Brown.

You know, Reggie is not a superstar but he's serviceable. It's not like he's LJ Smith. As long as the Eagles don't think Reggie is good enough to be our #1 (which they thought a couple years ago), I'm fine with Reggie Brown.

Comment

I don't have a problem with DJax and Curtis as our top 2 guys. Hell, I think it's great that AR is recognizing what DJax brings to the table and isn't holding him back. If that bumps Reggie out of the top 2, so be it. I'm surprised that some people aren't going off on how this clearly shows that Curtis wasn't a #1 type receiver. It's a stretch to say that Baskett and Avant are better than Brown though.
                "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
                — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
                - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

Originally posted by balto-eaglefan
                  I don't have a problem with DJax and Curtis as our top 2 guys. Hell, I think it's great that AR is recognizing what DJax brings to the table and isn't holding him back. If that bumps Reggie out of the top 2, so be it. I'm surprised that some people aren't going off on how this clearly shows that Curtis wasn't a #1 type receiver. It's a stretch to say that Baskett and Avant are better than Brown though.
                  I'm not saying they're better -- I'm saying they fit in their respective spots better than Brown would.

Avant is a classic slot receiver, IMO. And Baskett presents a different look as a big target, making him a better complement to the outside guys.
                  Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Ah, gotcha. Yep, Avant's made a number of good catches in the slot. To be honest, I thought that Curtis was a better fit for the slot than Reggie, and I agree that Baskett definitely presents a better "big target" that we could go to in the red zone. Either way, the depth isn't a bad thing.

If these guys perform like they can, we'll be able to change things up in our offense without much letup for the defense. If we light up Atlanta's D, that'd be a really good sign that AR and Marty found out good ways to make the most of their talents.
                    "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
                    — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
                    - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

"If he and McNabb could ever get on the field together for a sustained period, he would probably post even better numbers." - VFK

Vote, I hold that as a real possibility as well. But what I see of Brown is that he's pretty much just a "guy". Not a superstar, not a pro-bowl talent, not ever a real good primary receiver. He lacks that special something, and has been terribly inconsistent as a pass catcher. I do think that if he ever get his head back out of his butt and stays healthy for a stretch he could be very productive.
                      http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

[quote=Vote for Kalas]
                        Originally posted by ThoughtProcess
                        Originally posted by "Vote for Kalas":fc1b6

Yea, Brown sucks, does not fit this team and will be traded during the off-season...ok
                        Tough crowd! I did not mean to imply any of that by asking about Brown's cap number. I asked mainly because LT opined that Brown should be an ex-Eagle.
                        Sorry, I was responding to LT[/quote:fc1b6]

It's all good, VFK. I understand a fan's passion.

Comment

Brown may not start but he has a role on the team. As anyone who has watched the birds over the years knows Andy willl spread things around and packages will be put in for this one and that one. The person who needs to be concerned isn't Brown it is Lewis, a serviceable role player who gives you minutes when needed but never destined to be a starter.
                          Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                          Hope is not a strategy
                          RIP

Comment

If Brown is healthy, he will be on the field a lot Sunday. Just because he is not the "starter" doesn't mean he won't play. He is the best blocker at WR. He has the ability to get deep or take punishment on the slants. DJ will start. But you don't want him out there all of the time and also doing punt return duties. If he does too much, he'll be worn down in December and January when we need him the most.

Comment

I would say fo rthe 1st time ina a very long time I am happy with the WRs. I think Brown has a place on this team at this time. I can see Curtis, DJax, and Brown on the field at the same with Baskett and Avant mixing in depending on match ups. I am actually glad we have options at wide out because the TE's are killing this team. They have got to find a TE ! LJ just isnt getting it done.
                              I miss Philly!

Comment

Working...
                              X