• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'You almost did a DJack, man.'

Eagles Notebook: Samuel picks a good time for Eagles highlight
    By LES BOWEN
    Philadelphia Daily News
    [email protected]

Asante Samuel seemed to continue an Eagles "Monday Night Football" tradition at the end of his 50-yard interception return last night.
    The tradition, started by DeSean Jackson at Dallas, involves inexplicably flipping the ball just short of the goal line, but unlike Jackson, at least Samuel flipped the ball ahead, then ran over to it and grabbed it to give the Eagles a 17-3 second-quarter lead.

"I was kind of thinking about the celebration too much," Samuel said. "I don't even think I was paying attention, just being nonchalant, kind of let it go. Quick thinking, picked it up.

"DJack was like, 'You almost did a DJack, man.' "

Samuel, brought in for $57 million to be a playmaker, hadn't picked off a pass since the Atlanta game, back on Oct. 26. He has played well, but his lack of highlight-reel moments such as last night's might keep him off the NFC Pro Bowl roster when it is announced today.

"I was definitely overdue," Samuel said. "I've dropped a couple that I wish I would have caught. It was my turn to catch one."

His big play last night wiped out the bad taste from a silly squandering of points by the Eagles, when Jackson threw an interception in the end zone from the "Wildcat" formation, on third-and-goal from the 7. It was just six plays later that Samuel reeled in Ken Dorsey's pass and took off for the end zone.

Samuel's teams are now 20-1 in games in which he intercepts a pass.

"Asante had a nice pick," coach Andy Reid said. "But again, obviously you have to cross the goal line."

I'm sure this was mentioned in the game thread, but I though it deserves it's own spot. I guess I'm too old and too removed from the culture to get this early celebration thing. But I find this inexplicable.
    www.disciplerocks.com

can't believe that's happened twice in one year.
    Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Pretty shocked. When he dropped the ball, I thought, "He didn't do, what I think he just did..........."
      "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
      — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
      - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

I knew he didn't cross the line when he threw that ball. I was thinking oh no not again. Luckily AS was smart enough to realize his mistake.

Correct me if I'm wrong but that is an illegal forward pass. If Cleveland would have challenged it the ball would have been placed on the two yard line right?
        FRESH > cancer

I hate everything the Cowboys stand for. If you think they are America's team, then you support everything that is wrong with America. The excess, the greed, the lack of maturity, the lack of responsibility, the lack of control. - Luzinski's Gut

Comment

Bradley yelled at him to pick the damned ball back up.
          http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH View Post
            Bradley yelled at him to pick the damned ball back up.
            I'm not so sure of that...

http://csnphilly.com/pages/landing_h...892&feedID=717

"Linebacker Stewart Bradley also had a bone to pick with Samuel. Bradley was running alongside Samuel to the end zone and wanted to do a specific celebration the two had planned. Only Samuel’s premature celebration ruined the moment. "

It sounds like to me that they both were thinking about a celebration before they should have.
            FRESH > cancer

I hate everything the Cowboys stand for. If you think they are America's team, then you support everything that is wrong with America. The excess, the greed, the lack of maturity, the lack of responsibility, the lack of control. - Luzinski's Gut

Comment

"...premature celebration..."

that's a new one!
              www.disciplerocks.com

Comment

come on toga!

http://blog.sportscolumn.com/story/2005/11/28/164340/62

Comment

Andy should make a rule that anyone dropping the ball before giving to the ref or carrying it to the sideline is to be fined $25,000. It is insane that these guys are more worried about their thing than the game.
                  Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                  Hope is not a strategy
                  RIP

Comment

Unfortunately I don't think coaches can fine players anymore.
                    Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

Andy should have a rule - do not drop the ball until you run out the back of the end zone!
                      Fly EaglesFly!

Comment

Originally posted by sfphillyfan View Post
                        You are way ahead of me. Not sure how I missed that one.

How come I don't get the reminder email anymore? I just realized that I haven't seen one in some time.
                        www.disciplerocks.com

Comment

Is it just a coincidence that the two early celebrators both dropped the ball on plays that could have (Samuels) and would have (Jax) changed the game and possibly the season?

They totally got Andy and Marty off the hot seat for another crappy game plan.
                          www.disciplerocks.com

Comment

Originally posted by saratoga View Post
                            Is it just a coincidence that the two early celebrators both dropped the ball on plays that could have (Samuels) and would have (Jax) changed the game and possibly the season?

They totally got Andy and Marty off the hot seat for another crappy game plan.
                            Probably not. Both guys are showboating morons.
                            Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

Working...
                            X