Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reid, this offseason, has to convince Donovan of one thing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reid, this offseason, has to convince Donovan of one thing.

...that the benching was done to motivate the entire team. Donovan isn't convinced right now, and he's going to keeping squawking until he is. Reid himself may or may not believe it true, but he's got to convince Donovan or this is going to end in a Favre-like offseason nightmare.
    If I were Reid, I would point to how much harder the team played after the benching. They ripped off their only decent winning streak of the season, beat the best team in the NFC, and fought their way back in the playoff picture. Tell him that he sent the QB coach to tell him because Donovan had to believe it was real. Tell him that Donovan had to respond the right way to the benching, and that he did.
    Because that's what it's going to take to repair the rift. And the offseason won't be a peaceful one until that rift is either repaired or severed.

Hopefully he can convince him of that on another team.

Comment

Donovan tried to get a new contract a year or two ago. He's making 9.2 million in 2009, and 10 million in 2010. The team can cut him at no cost to themselves, as none of it is signing bonus money. The team doesn't like it when players try to get new contracts, but they really won't like it when a player asks for a new contract that hasn't been healthy or made the playoffs in 4 years. It's all about $$$, and today, we hear Donovan thinks he "played great" this year. This is bothersome, as athletes should always challenge themselves to be better, not be complacent with how they are playing. His stats say he played well, but we all know he beat up on the weak sisters of the poor and against the good teams, he never got it done late. 1-4 in the division and five straight games where he went the first five drives doing nothing at all.

Comment

Agreed the stats came mostly against poorer teams. The game plans, in many cases, were beyond putrid. Reid has done DM no favors. Either has to be gone. I would prefer it would be Reid. I really think his new QB will be abused much the same as DM has been. It may take a little time, but Reid will be the same old Reid. It's a shame Donovan never got the benefit of an offense that fit him better. His best years are gone, maybe with another team he will have his chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Rossovich View Post
          Agreed the stats came mostly against poorer teams. The game plans, in many cases, were beyond putrid. Reid has done DM no favors. Either has to be gone. I would prefer it would be Reid. I really think his new QB will be abused much the same as DM has been. It may take a little time, but Reid will be the same old Reid. It's a shame Donovan never got the benefit of an offense that fit him better. His best years are gone, maybe with another team he will have his chance.

Exactly. Those that think Reid will change for good are fooling themselves. Once Reid gets comfortable with Kolb noodle boy will be chucking the ball up 50 times a game. No QB(Brady maybe) can win a title in an offense like this.
          FRESH > cancer

I hate everything the Cowboys stand for. If you think they are America's team, then you support everything that is wrong with America. The excess, the greed, the lack of maturity, the lack of responsibility, the lack of control. - Luzinski's Gut

Comment

Originally posted by IMK View Post
            ...that the benching was done to motivate the entire team. Donovan isn't convinced right now, and he's going to keeping squawking until he is. Reid himself may or may not believe it true, but he's got to convince Donovan or this is going to end in a Favre-like offseason nightmare.
            If I were Reid, I would point to how much harder the team played after the benching. They ripped off their only decent winning streak of the season, beat the best team in the NFC, and fought their way back in the playoff picture. Tell him that he sent the QB coach to tell him because Donovan had to believe it was real. Tell him that Donovan had to respond the right way to the benching, and that he did.
            Because that's what it's going to take to repair the rift. And the offseason won't be a peaceful one until that rift is either repaired or severed.
            I'm not 100% convinced that it wasn't just coincidence. This team was dramatically up and down even before the benching. And if the benching was motivational in some way, how do you explain the last game? Do they need benching every 3 weeks to keep them motivated?

I'm not saying it did NOT motivate them, I'm just saying there's a good possibility that this team is just mediocre and tremendously inconsistent in multiple game spurts.

Comment

Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal View Post
              I'm not 100% convinced that it wasn't just coincidence. This team was dramatically up and down even before the benching. And if the benching was motivational in some way, how do you explain the last game? Do they need benching every 3 weeks to keep them motivated?

I'm not saying it did NOT motivate them, I'm just saying there's a good possibility that this team is just mediocre and tremendously inconsistent in multiple game spurts.
              Well, it's certainly not unthinkable that the motivation could start to wear off after a few weeks. I think it was unmistakable that the Eagles played with a confidence and attitude they didn't have before starting with the Thanksgiving game. And the defensive effort, at least, was still 100% last Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by IMK View Post
                Good post and I agree.

Comment

Working...
                X