Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's Hope He Keeps Them in Place for Fifty Years!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's Hope He Keeps Them in Place for Fifty Years!!!

Jones wants it known: Cowboys coaches ‘in place’

By JAIME ARON, AP Sports Writer

IRVING, Texas (AP)—Wade Phillips will be back as coach of the Dallas Cowboys next season, and Jason Garrett will remain in charge of the offense, regardless of whether the team makes the playoffs, club owner Jerry Jones said Friday.
    And he said it vehemently.
    “The coaches are in place. I’ve said that. How can I be any clearer?” Jones said. “Look, I’ve said that our coaching staff, as far as I’m concerned, is in place. I just want to make the statement rather than answer questions, because your questions imply certain things that I don’t want to imply.
    “I’m saying that when I look at where we are coaching staff-wise and when I look at where we are personnelwise, I see a team that is in place to compete for several years.”
    Still, the questions continued because this team that went 13-3 last season and owned the No. 1 seed in the NFC is now 9-6 and trying to grab the last available wild-card into this season’s playoffs. The Cowboys will get it with a win Sunday in Philadelphia. If they lose, there’s been speculation that Jones would fire Phillips. There’s long been speculation that Phillips might be pushed aside, and Garrett promoted from offensive coordinator, next season anyway as Dallas moves into a new $1.1 billion, 100,000-seat stadium.

“And I’d like to go in that new stadium with a Super Bowl win,” Jones said.
    But what if they don’t make the playoffs? Could things change then?
    “Look, can y’all not understand statements?” Jones said. “What the (expletive) is going on here? Really. I really don’t understand what is going on. The coaching staff is in place. The coaching staff is in place. The building is here. You want to ask the question, what if it blows down?”
    When it was mentioned that Jones has made a bold statement before, then changed his mind, the owner shot back, “I don’t know when. Point it out.”
    Jones has been consistent in his staunch support of his coaches. Following a loss to Baltimore last Saturday night, he challenged reporters to see how many first-year coaches win Super Bowls and questioned the logic of spending millions on bringing in someone with a good reputation in the pros or in college.
    And when Jones spoke after the Ravens loss, he already feared that the Cowboys were out of the playoffs.
    “Absolutely,” he said Friday. “I saw the Grim Reaper coming out the door. … Yes, I thought when we left the stadium late at night, I was pretty down and out.”
    Phillips has said all week that he’s concerned only about the Eagles, not what might happen to his status if Dallas loses.
    Still, he’s aware of the stakes.
    “I told the players I don’t know if it’s pressure. Pressure is getting to this point,” Phillips said Friday, before Jones spoke. “Now we need to let it go and play, play our best. We’ll try to coach our best, too.”
    When Phillips was hired, he touted a winning career record as a head coach, but also acknowledged the downer of never having won a playoff game. He talked then of creating a new legacy for himself.
    Last season’s playoff disappointment—becoming the first No. 1 seed in the NFC to lose its first playoff game since the current format began in 1990— isn’t exactly the kind of legacy-adder he wanted. A roll this January “obviously would help,” Phillips said.
    “But this year isn’t over,” Phillips said. “So we’ll see.”
    "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Sounds like he snapped at one point. "What the (expletive) is going on here?" Pretty funny stuff, can you imagine Banner saying that?
    "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
    — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
    - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

Originally posted by stocknowledge View Post
      Jones wants it known: Cowboys coaches ‘in place’

By JAIME ARON, AP Sports Writer

IRVING, Texas (AP)—Wade Phillips will be back as coach of the Dallas Cowboys next season, and Jason Garrett will remain in charge of the offense, regardless of whether the team makes the playoffs, club owner Jerry Jones said Friday.
      And he said it vehemently.
      “The coaches are in place. I’ve said that. How can I be any clearer?” Jones said. “Look, I’ve said that our coaching staff, as far as I’m concerned, is in place. I just want to make the statement rather than answer questions, because your questions imply certain things that I don’t want to imply.
      “I’m saying that when I look at where we are coaching staff-wise and when I look at where we are personnelwise, I see a team that is in place to compete for several years.”
      Still, the questions continued because this team that went 13-3 last season and owned the No. 1 seed in the NFC is now 9-6 and trying to grab the last available wild-card into this season’s playoffs. The Cowboys will get it with a win Sunday in Philadelphia. If they lose, there’s been speculation that Jones would fire Phillips. There’s long been speculation that Phillips might be pushed aside, and Garrett promoted from offensive coordinator, next season anyway as Dallas moves into a new $1.1 billion, 100,000-seat stadium.

“And I’d like to go in that new stadium with a Super Bowl win,” Jones said.
      But what if they don’t make the playoffs? Could things change then?
      “Look, can y’all not understand statements?” Jones said. “What the (expletive) is going on here? Really. I really don’t understand what is going on. The coaching staff is in place. The coaching staff is in place. The building is here. You want to ask the question, what if it blows down?”
      When it was mentioned that Jones has made a bold statement before, then changed his mind, the owner shot back, “I don’t know when. Point it out.”
      Jones has been consistent in his staunch support of his coaches. Following a loss to Baltimore last Saturday night, he challenged reporters to see how many first-year coaches win Super Bowls and questioned the logic of spending millions on bringing in someone with a good reputation in the pros or in college.
      And when Jones spoke after the Ravens loss, he already feared that the Cowboys were out of the playoffs.
      “Absolutely,” he said Friday. “I saw the Grim Reaper coming out the door. … Yes, I thought when we left the stadium late at night, I was pretty down and out.”
      Phillips has said all week that he’s concerned only about the Eagles, not what might happen to his status if Dallas loses.
      Still, he’s aware of the stakes.
      “I told the players I don’t know if it’s pressure. Pressure is getting to this point,” Phillips said Friday, before Jones spoke. “Now we need to let it go and play, play our best. We’ll try to coach our best, too.”
      When Phillips was hired, he touted a winning career record as a head coach, but also acknowledged the downer of never having won a playoff game. He talked then of creating a new legacy for himself.
      Last season’s playoff disappointment—becoming the first No. 1 seed in the NFC to lose its first playoff game since the current format began in 1990— isn’t exactly the kind of legacy-adder he wanted. A roll this January “obviously would help,” Phillips said.
      “But this year isn’t over,” Phillips said. “So we’ll see.”

He held onto Dave Campo forever too. Jeery likes to call the shots and Wade is listening. Nice.
      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Wade Phillips is practically retarded!

Comment

I still can't believe people think this guy is a good owner.
          Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

Is there really anyone who thinks he is a good owner? Some in Dallas would say so but I would venture to say a significant portion of Dallas wouldn't say he is a good owner.
            Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
            Hope is not a strategy
            RIP

Comment

spending money does not make you a good owner. spending money on the right people at the right time and letting the people that actually know something about football make the decisions makes a good owner. seriously, if you put jones in a sweatsuit and ladies glasses he would be a clone of friggin al davis.
              You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle` View Post
                Is there really anyone who thinks he is a good owner? Some in Dallas would say so but I would venture to say a significant portion of Dallas wouldn't say he is a good owner.
                I would say there's a fairly sizeable contingent of Eagles fans, maybe not on this board, that would prefer Jones over Lurie.

Comment

At times I would appreciate Jones' approach to spending money.
                  http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH View Post
                    At times I would appreciate Jones' approach to spending money.
                    There's a big difference between spending money the right way and just running your team like fantasy football and signing every big name that hits the wire, regardless of their background.

Lurie has shown in the past that he is willing to spend if the right guy is out there. Assante Samuel, Kearse, Howard, Runyan, Randy Moss, etc. And don't forget the large signing bonuses he doled out to returning players like McNabb, Andrews, Sheldon, Lito, Westbrook, etc.
                    Last edited by leifdawg; 12-27-2008, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by leifdawg View Post
                      There's a big difference between spending money the right way and just running your team like fantasy football and signing every big name that hits the wire, regardless of their background.

Lurie has shown in the past that he is willing to spend if the right guy is out there. Assante Samuel, Kearse, Howard, Runyan, Randy Moss, etc. And don't forget the large signing bonuses he doled out to returning players like McNabb, Andrews, Sheldon, Lito, Westbrook, etc.
                      You can add Watters and Vincent to that list too. They weren't recent but both at the time got very nice contracts.

Fans forget that because every off season the Skins, Raiders and Boys go out and play FF. Of course they come up short every year.

I've never had a problem with the way Lurie spends his money but who he spends his money on. I think Lurie needs to step in a little bit more and stop listening to certain guys.
                      FRESH > cancer

I hate everything the Cowboys stand for. If you think they are America's team, then you support everything that is wrong with America. The excess, the greed, the lack of maturity, the lack of responsibility, the lack of control. - Luzinski's Gut

Comment

I said "at times". Not always, obviously.

We have made our share of bad moves with guys we have brought in as well. And as for Vincent, we could have kept Eric Allen irf we wanted to pay him. And SHOULD have.
                        http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by leifdawg View Post

Leif - just stop. Nobody said Jerry Jones was a good owner. For my money, an owner should write checks and not be heard or seen.

People want Lurie to SPEND like Jerry Jones. And spend wisely.

I'm so sick of this "Lurie has been willing to spend money" bullshit. It's a FACT that the Eagles are amongst the lowest in the league in payroll for a while now. How can you argue facts?

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH View Post
                            I said "at times". Not always, obviously.

We have made our share of bad moves with guys we have brought in as well. And as for Vincent, we could have kept Eric Allen irf we wanted to pay him. And SHOULD have.

IMO Allen and Vincent are a wash. Allen was the better INT guy and Vincent the better cover man.

At the time the team needed a make over and to get away from the Buddy stigma of choking and EA was a Buddy guy. As long as he was replaced with an adequate replacement(which he was) it's all good.

Of course it goes both ways. You win some and you lose some.
                            FRESH > cancer

I hate everything the Cowboys stand for. If you think they are America's team, then you support everything that is wrong with America. The excess, the greed, the lack of maturity, the lack of responsibility, the lack of control. - Luzinski's Gut

Comment

I agree with that Blitz. Eric Allen was one of my favorite eagles and it sucked having him go to the Saints but it wasn't anything to write home about. Troy Vincent and Bobby Taylor were good enough.

Comment

Working...
                              X