Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Never say never -- and other stuff........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never say never -- and other stuff........

Snap Judgments: Week 17

Donovan McNabb led the Eagles to an easy win over the Cowboys, and the No. 6 seed in the NFC.
    AP

PHILADELPHIA -- Musings, observations and the occasional insight as we watch the total demolition of the Dallas Cowboys play out before an absolutely delirious throng of Eagles fans at Lincoln Financial Field ...
    This is why you should never, ever, ever give up on an NFL season, until they pull the mathematical rug from beneath your feet. Because even after an ugly Week 11 tie at Cincinnati that supposedly buried you, and a crushing Week 16 loss at Washington that all but eliminated you, a Sunday like this one can still unfold in Philadelphia.
    In a span of about four hours, the Eagles went from having their playoff hopes on life support -- an almost breathless blip on the NFL radar screen -- to coasting to the NFC's final invitation to next month's Super Bowl tournament. It's the kind of wildly unexpected turn of events that makes Week 17 so captivating each and every season.
    The Eagles came into Sunday needing a Raiders upset win at Tampa Bay. They got it. They needed a loss by either Minnesota or Chicago, and the Bears cooperated, dropping their finale at Houston. And they needed a homefield win over the equally desperate Cowboys, an outcome that was all but decided by the second quarter.
    Of course, as it almost had to be, it was that much-derided tie in Cincinnati that made the difference in the end for the 9-6-1 Eagles. Without it, they're home next week, rather than playing in a first-round playoff game at Minnesota.

Hear, hear!

Comment

We really do need to remember this for future reference when we are all ready to make wide-sweeping changes in week #9 or #10. This is the NFL today, and you just never know.

Most of us also probably owe Big Red an apology for bashing him for the punt at the end of the Bengels game to assure the tie.

Comment

Why should any of us who criticized the handling of this team make apologies?

IMO, a good coach would have had this team at 11-5, and wouldn't be in the position where we needed the the Bucs and the Bears(???) to lose, plus beat Dallas, to be in the playoffs.

No doubt, Reid saved his job yesterday. But he was criticized (and probably will continue to be) for a reason. There are huge holes in his coaching game, and he owes Jim Johnson a large debt of gratitude.
        "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

Agree never to give up on a season, and agree that this win camouflages holes in Reid's game. I think Reid does have a very good ability to keep his players motivated throughout the season, otherwise the players wouldn't finish as strong as they do every single year.
          E A G L E S

EAGLES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal View Post
            Most of us also probably owe Big Red an apology for bashing him for the punt at the end of the Bengels game to assure the tie.
            Not, I. I said when it happened that if the Eagles make the playoffs that 1/2 game would be a factor because we lose out on tiebreakers to most of the teams we were vying with.
            Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

Originally posted by stocknowledge View Post
              Why should any of us who criticized the handling of this team make apologies?
              Way to take a small sentence and blow it completely out of context. Who said anyone should apologize for critizing the handling of the team? All I said was that those who critized the punt at the end of the Bengels game should apologize because if he hadn't punted, they very likely wouldn't be in the playoffs right now.

Comment

Originally posted by leifdawg View Post
                Not, I. I said when it happened that if the Eagles make the playoffs that 1/2 game would be a factor because we lose out on tiebreakers to most of the teams we were vying with.
                I originally typed "We should apolgoize..." but changed it to "Most of us..." I knew 1 or 2 of you thought it was a smart move. I, for one, did not. I thought the season was over at that point regardless of a tie or a loss, and thought they should have gone for the kill, regarldess of the small odds of success at that point.

Comment

Reid gets bashed for all the L's but here we are somehow in the playoffs and he gets no slack. LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
                    Reid gets bashed for all the L's but here we are somehow in the playoffs and he gets no slack. LOL!
                    Should he be praised for the team's performance this year LOL???
                    If it wasn't for an incredible amount of luck, yesterday's game would have very little meaning.
                    "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

No no no...it was all part of "the plan" !!!!!!!!!
                      http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

If the bucs hadn't blown that game yesterday, the tone wouldbe very different tone today. I'm happy as hell we are in the playoffs, but that doesn't all of the sudden mean Reid did a masterful job this season.

Comment

Originally posted by fly View Post
                          If the bucs hadn't blown that game yesterday, the tone wouldbe very different tone today. I'm happy as hell we are in the playoffs, but that doesn't all of the sudden mean Reid did a masterful job this season.
                          Who said he did? Anybody?

This place still cracks me up -- the bottom line all season was the bucks stops with Reid, it's all his fault, his players ,his motivation his play calls ETC ETC ETC....he IS the captain of the ship----- but when things go right -- for whatever reason... seems the buck doesn't stop there!

Just cracks me up!

Comment

Originally posted by fly View Post

Comment

Yeah, Reid should certainly get credit for THAT. LMAO!!!!!
                              http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Working...
                              X