Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

McNabb = choker

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • McNabb = choker

    John Smallwood: Eagles QB McNabb beats the rap in big win over Dallas


    By John Smallwood



    SO DOES yesterday's game qualify as a big game? You know, the kind in which some Eagles fans claim Donovan McNabb never shows up to play. If your answer is no, then why doesn't it?


    This game against the Dallas Cowboys wasn't just do-or-die for the NFC's final wild-card spot.
    It was possibly do-or-get-out-of-town for a number of Eagles, starting with McNabb.


    The funny thing is that the brilliance of McNabb's performance could easily be lost in the magnificence of the Eagles' 44-6 dismantling of the Cowboys.


    His final statistics (12-for-21 for 175 yards) weren't eye-catching, but remember that this was a 3-3 game after the first quarter.
    Then McNabb put together a highlight-reel performance that sent the odds-defying Eagles into an improbable playoff game Sunday at Minnesota.


    In the second quarter, McNabb completed nine of 13 passes for 139 yards with two touchdowns. He also had a 1-yard touchdown run.
    The Eagles went ahead, 27-3, to all but seal the game.


    It was the biggest game in which McNabb has played since the Eagles lost the Super Bowl in February 2005.


    He showed up.

  • #2
    Kolb woulda had them up 28-3 at the half. Just sayin...

    Comment


    • #3
      In Philly, the games don't get much bigger than a "win or go home" game against the Dallas Cowgirls. Yesterday was a playoff game, no two ways about it. DMac did his share and came through when the score was tight, and yes, good for him. Total team effort from here and that could actually get us those four more wins. Can you imagine? Next up, Minny..........
      "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
      — Michael Strahan

      "No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
      - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

      Comment


      • #4
        The problem with MD's whole approach is that Mcnabb needs to be consistent from week to week. For all intensive purposes, he did not get it done in Washington last week and that is why we should be home now watching the playoffs. To point to one week and now say Mcnabb showed up...please. He played well yesterday, but the game was non-competitive. I would be far more impressed if we were down 21-17 and he led us on a TD drive in the final moments to win. Not saying I'm not thrilled by the win, but Mcnabb is 0-9 in NFC East games when he's had a chance to tie or go ahead in the last 3 minutes. Win a close game with the money on the line where you are tied or trail and then I will be impressed. Mcnabb has always been good at piling it on during blowouts.

        Comment


        • #5
          The season was on the line last week too. Where was this article after that crappy game? Smallwood needs to get over his knee-jerk defensiveness and look at the whole picture.

          It's amazing what a balanced offense will do for this team and McNabb in particular.

          A better article would be "Reid gets it right this week."
          www.disciplerocks.com

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by KevinKolb4SB View Post
            The problem with MD's whole approach is that Mcnabb needs to be consistent from week to week. For all intensive purposes, he did not get it done in Washington last week and that is why we should be home now watching the playoffs. To point to one week and now say Mcnabb showed up...please. He played well yesterday, but the game was non-competitive. I would be far more impressed if we were down 21-17 and he led us on a TD drive in the final moments to win. Not saying I'm not thrilled by the win, but Mcnabb is 0-9 in NFC East games when he's had a chance to tie or go ahead in the last 3 minutes. Win a close game with the money on the line where you are tied or trail and then I will be impressed. Mcnabb has always been good at piling it on during blowouts.
            Originally posted by saratoga View Post
            The season was on the line last week too. Where was this article after that crappy game? Smallwood needs to get over his knee-jerk defensiveness and look at the whole picture.

            It's amazing what a balanced offense will do for this team and McNabb in particular.

            A better article would be "Reid gets it right this week."
            Did McNabb have a great game against Washinton, no. But he played well enough to win. 7 drops (several on 3rd down or in the endzone) and a boneheaded gameplan will make any QB look bad. Not to mention the weather wasn't very condusive towards throwing the ball.
            Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

            Comment


            • #7
              My point is that none of us should isolate on one game and say "See, I'm right!"

              McNabb's performances run the gamut from great to putrid, so one needs to look at a bigger sampling.

              Besides, Reid is the bigger problem than McNabb.
              www.disciplerocks.com

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by saratoga View Post
                My point is that none of us should isolate on one game and say "See, I'm right!"

                McNabb's performances run the gamut from great to putrid, so one needs to look at a bigger sampling.
                But timing is everything. If the Eagles wouldn't have won yesterday or won despite a poor game from McNabb, Smallwood simply wouldn't have written an NFL column today...

                Comment


                • #9
                  True enough, though critics and supporters will always pick and choose their sample range so that it matches their viewpoint....

                  I agree about the timing issue too...as of right now, there are probably some morons who are accusing Jeff Garcia of choking away the Bucs' last three "win and we're in" games, when the fact is, he's one of the biggest reasons they went to the playoffs last year, and why they were oh so close this year.
                  Last edited by balto-eaglefan; 12-29-2008, 02:17 PM.
                  "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
                  — Michael Strahan

                  "No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
                  - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by balto-eaglefan View Post
                    True enough, though critics and supporters will always pick and choose their sample range so that it matches their viewpoint....
                    yup.

                    You just have to see if the person is being objective. I know it's hard but if you take a big enough sample, usually it helps.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      it's a team game. McNabb and the team has come up small at times,big at others

                      yesterday the whole TEAM came up big. If McNabb supporters want to use that to aid in their McNabb defense....fine with me. I just want Eagle wins. Period

                      and that was a beautiful one yesterday

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Total team effort will win us four more games......they're the EAGLES, not the McNabbs!
                        "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
                        — Michael Strahan

                        "No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
                        - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          We didn't get to see a "crunch - time" game on the line situation yesterday, so who can say if he would have choked again or not?

                          Maybe we will find out next week?
                          http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by dawkins20 View Post
                            it's a team game. McNabb and the team has come up small at times,big at others

                            yesterday the whole TEAM came up big. If McNabb supporters want to use that to aid in their McNabb defense....fine with me. I just want Eagle wins. Period

                            and that was a beautiful one yesterday
                            Exactly!!
                            Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

                            -Andy Reid

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by balto-eaglefan View Post
                              Total team effort will win us four more games......they're the EAGLES, not the McNabbs!
                              Amen brother!!
                              Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

                              -Andy Reid

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X