Why Trent Cole is our MVP.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Trent Cole is our MVP.

I'd been wondering for a while who would be considered the Eagles 2008 most valuable player. It would have to be part of the defense and yet it was such a team performance on D that it's hard to pick somebody out. Despite some dropped interceptions, Asante Samuel was as advertised. Stewart Bradley was an absolute stud in the middle, shutting down the run game in Trotter-like fashion. Dawk came on down the stretch and played like the Dawk of old, perhaps for one last time. Quintin Mikell played near a pro-bowl level and Sheldon Brown stepped up after a disappointing performance last year.

But watching this random video on nfl.com, I saw the play that convinced me that our MVP was Trent Cole:

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80d0fbe2

It's a narrated highlights package from NFL Films of the Thanksgiving game. At the 1:39 mark, they show a package of Trent Cole plays from that game. In one play, he rushes Warner, who throws a pick. When Cole sees it's an interception, he immediately runs and absolutely DECKS to Cardinals to the ground. Those players are Kurt Warner and Larry Fitzgerald. The next shot he's on the sideline bragging about it. I DEMAND you watch this.

Awesome. Trent Cole is a special kind of player, a guy who DOES. NOT. STOP. Ever. He rushes the passer, he chases down running backs, he fights off blockers, he even goes out of his way to deliver legal but unnecessary hits to the opponents' star players, all with such ferocity and speed that players almost can't help but be intimidated by him. And it never lets up. Not for one moment.

That play is emblematic of what makes this defense special, and Trent Cole embodies it better than anyone. MVP.

This kind of effort is something that Andy Reid looks for in his players. That kind of effort and work ethic - not giving up on a play, not letting up until the whistle sounds, these are things that translate directly into resuts on the field. And those things are products of character and discipline. We poke fun at Reid for avoiding talented problem children and drafting undersized high-character guys. But this is what you get for stressing character. What we saw on the other side of the field on Sunday is what you pay for neglecting it.

He is severly underrated and is on part with Hugh Douglas when Hugh was at his best. Trent is in his prime right now.
    Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
    Playoff Appearances:
    NFC Title Games:
    Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

Awesome....
      Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

I would argue that Bradley is our MVP. While Cole at this point in time is a more talented, refined player, the play of Bradley is what has contributed most to the improvement of our defense overall. And while Cole has 9 sacks, 2 forced fumbles and numerous hurries, which are very impressive numbers, Bradley has 31 more tackles than Cole!

Bradley, simply by virtue of his position, is the main cog in the defensive machinery. And, IMO, it his development as a MLB which is chiefly responsible for the continual improvement of the defense over the course of the season.

I would also argue that Bradley is even better now as a MLB than Trotter ever was, because Bradley very rarely gets caught out of position. Trotter occasionally would make a spectacular play, but would often over-commit or guess at plays. He was instinctual, and his mistakes would often result in long plays by opposing offenses. Bradley plays entirely within the system. As a result, the entire defense is more unified, and less likely to be burned by long plays. Basically, the defense functions as a more cohesive unit because Bradley has taken care of the middle. Other defensive players now only have to worry about their own responsibilties.

What's really nice to contemplate is the fact that this is Bradley's first year. If he stays healthy, he is going to be even better! And, as he improves, we are going to have a defense that continues to get better for years to come.
        "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

I think Trent Cole will assume Dawk's mantle as the leader of the defense. He's very serious about his football. Plays all-out every down. This year, for the first time, he didn't burn himself out early in the year.

I'm still a little bit partial to Darren Howard as the MVP of the team this year. Howard made big play after big play all year. But so did Cole. His leap to block the FG was a highlight reel moment. Both of these guys brought it all year long.
          Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Originally posted by stocknowledge View Post
            I would argue that Bradley is our MVP. While Cole at this point in time is a more talented, refined player, the play of Bradley is what has contributed most to the improvement of our defense overall. And while Cole has 9 sacks, 2 forced fumbles and numerous hurries, which are very impressive numbers, Bradley has 31 more tackles than Cole!

Bradley, simply by virtue of his position, is the main cog in the defensive machinery. And, IMO, it his development as a MLB which is chiefly responsible for the continual improvement of the defense over the course of the season.

I would also argue that Bradley is even better now as a MLB than Trotter ever was, because Bradley very rarely gets caught out of position. Trotter occasionally would make a spectacular play, but would often over-commit or guess at plays. He was instinctual, and his mistakes would often result in long plays by opposing offenses. Bradley plays entirely within the system. As a result, the entire defense is more unified, and less likely to be burned by long plays. Basically, the defense functions as a more cohesive unit because Bradley has taken care of the middle. Other defensive players now only have to worry about their own responsibilties.

What's really nice to contemplate is the fact that this is Bradley's first year. If he stays healthy, he is going to be even better! And, as he improves, we are going to have a defense that continues to get better for years to come.
            While I belong to the Cole is MVP school, I gotta agree about Bradley making major improvement in his game as the year goes on. It's nice that Gocong has also improved considerably and is rocking some people now and that Akeem has stepped in and up a good WLB. His 11 tackles and 2 stuffs went almost unnoticed in the great defensive effort on Sunday but it is typical of what this kid is doing in his second year here.

Comment

I'll tell ya' the way Jimmy Johnson has transitioned his use of Dawkins in more run support while providing Mikell the opportunity to flourish at Safety and giving Demps some room to develop his cover skills, I'm getting very excited about this Eagles defense.

I hope that Banner & Company re-sign Dawkins for at least 1-2 years to be around for the emergence of Mikell, Demps, Bradley, Gocong, Bunkley, etc. and further instill that Brian Dawkins passion, attitude and professionlism into this defense.

Could be yet another "signature" Eagles defense...
              Last edited by Azures; 12-30-2008, 03:52 PM.

Comment

"Jimmy Johnson" - Don't ever insult Jim Johnson that way.
                Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
                Playoff Appearances:
                NFC Title Games:
                Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

I just think Cole disappears for long stretches too often to be considered MVP. Also TE's blocking him seem to be his kryptonite. He does better against the OT than a TE usually.
                  Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

While I think that Cole,Bradley,& Howard have all had really good seasons my MVP this year goes to Dawkins.Yes,he had some clunker plays early on but especially down the stretch,Dawk has been a man on a mission.
                    I don't think one player on the roster would have a problem voting for Dawk as the MVP. He was the guy that stripped Romo for Clemons to rumble 78yds.He was the guy that stripped Barber so Hanson could go 95yds.
                    More importantly,there's not a guy that brings more passion & energy for 60 minutes other than Dawkins.
                    A sentimental vote maybe,but the guy deserves consideration.
                    Just give me ONE before I go!

Comment

I can vote for Dawkins. Where's the poll?
                      Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
                      Playoff Appearances:
                      NFC Title Games:
                      Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

Working...
                      X