Another Reid question........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Reid question........

I personally think he got lucky, but the 10 year track record and the fact that the team has never given up on him is worth considering.
    //////////////////

Bob Ford: Andy Reid proves a brilliant motivator

By Bob Ford
    Inquirer Sports Columnist
    Even before team owner Jeff Lurie confirmed the obvious, that Andy Reid would continue to coach the Eagles next season and perhaps forever, it was already apparent Reid would have no trouble finding work.

If nothing else, he would have been in great demand as a motivational consultant, traveling the country to explain to harried executives how to handle underperforming employees.
    Sometimes you pat them on the back. Sometimes you kick them in the rear. And sometimes you give their desk in that spacious corner office to that kid from the mail room, Kevin something or other. At least for a little while.

It's difficult to know now if Reid was actually thinking this many plays ahead, if he could have imagined that the benching of Donovan McNabb on Nov. 23 in Baltimore would turn out as it has.
    Probably not, but he was low on options at the time.

Brilliance is born of desperation, which would have made a great title for Reid's consulting speech as he jetted around the country and advised those executives on how to turn their No Shows into All-Pros.

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/colum...motivator.html

i keep thinking about that benching. big red couldnt have been thinking about doing anything more than making a change to spark some life into the team -- as he said afterwards.

but the impact has been profound. mcnabb is pissed and playing with a chip on his shoulder, which is good. the team realized it had to do a better job of supporting mcnabb so he wouldnt be held up as the scapegoat.

whatever the initial intent, in retrospect it's certainly worked out as a brilliant motivational tactic.
    Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

I hope he wins the Super Bowl this year, and immediately thereafter decides to go into motivational speaking - although some might wonder why he wasn't better able to motivate his own children, or why he isn't able to manage his own weight. But, I digress...

To me, where Andy Reid deserves credit is in his ability to develop an organization. He has been great at creating a structure and developing a consistency, so that only the right type of people are brought in (exception Terrell Owens), everyone knows what their job is, and performers within the organization are properly evaluated. He has schemed everything out so that there are no surprises, In short, he is a good manager. He's great at seeing the long-term picture.

Where he fails, IMO, is in making game-time decisions, or in reacting to events as they are unfolding. He is slow to adapt to external conditions; stubbornly believing that the world must change to accept his way of thinking.

So, like most of us, he is flawed. As stated previously, he is neither genius nor moron. As such, he should be praised when successful, and criticized when he is off-track. During a large portion of this season, he was off-track.
      "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

Agree with that stock. He's done a very good job of holding the ship together, but the ship had gotten badly off course, and needed help to get where it is now. Now it's a new season, and from the coaches to the trainers to the players to the waterboy, they need to make the most of their chances and win three more games.
        "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
        — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
        - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

I thought the benching was a good move at the time, said so, and still believe so. Now, DMac is never going to publicly say that he thinks it was good or that is what helped him. But, I wonder, when he is honest with himself, when he is lost in his own thought if he doesn't realize that it was a good thing. One of the worst feelings, for people with feelings, is to let someone down who you trust, admire, believe in, etc. I don't know McNabb from McFly but can easily see where, in his quiet moment, he can look at it and realize he let him down and realize how hard of a decision that had to be for Reid. I'd be pissed as all hell for the public humiliation but I would understand. Now, maybe DMac is completely opposite of that, but as close as they supposed are I just think maybe they understand each other.
          Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
          Hope is not a strategy
          RIP

Comment

I'm still wondering what, if any, outside personal influences had on that stretch.

Maybe we will never know.

Comment

Thinking about DMac's wife having kids?

It's a good question......just after they were born, he mentioned his health and his family's health as something that he was thankful for. In fact he brought it up a few times......but again, maybe we'll never know.
              "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
              — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
              - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

I love the way Andy handles his team. He runs a tight ship and seems to be well respected by his players. I think he handles the media in this town as well as you can. And, instead of belittling the Philly fans for their negativity, he applauds their passion. Unlike many, I also don't mind his draft record.

The ONLY thing that bugs me about Andy is his stubborness when it comes to running the football and the fact that he just can't seem to get his team to manage the clock well in the last 2 minutes of each half.

I sincerely hope Andy can win that elusive Super Bowl before he leaves. That would be the cherry to crown off a very successful coaching legacy.

Comment

Working...
                X