Surprises and disappointments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surprises and disappointments

Gimme your biggest surprise player, and biggest disappointment for this season?

For me, easily my biggest disappointment is Lito. I wan't sure if he'd behave and keep his mouth shut, but felt SURE that he would play well when he got on the field. No way in hell did I think he would be, essentially, benched for play reasons. I figured he was a luxury for us, with Sheldon and Assante here, we were DEEP. Passed up by Hanson?? Yeah...sure.

Which puts Hanson in a pretty good spot to ne my biggest surprise, but... while giving Clemons some consideration, and Akers a lot of thought, I have to go with Darren Howard. Talk about someone I expected nothing from. My surprise, and comeback player of the year, Mr Howard. Congrats!

http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Fresh, I pretty much agree with you. You hear those camp stories ever year about this guy or that guy looks really great, and yada yada, and they don't amount to squat. Howard had a great season.

Lito, on the other hand, was horrible. I didn't expect that. But, you do have to give Hanson some credit for developing into a solid nickle.

I also thought LJ Smith underachieved, once again. Showed some flashes, like in the second Giants game, and you can see that talent that he has, but that just makes it more frustrating when he disappears. In a contract year, no less.

Avant and Baskett also surprised me a bit. Avant had some clutch grabs last week, and Baskett has made some nice plays for us this year as well. Between them, and the addition of Jackson, the calls for an upgrade WR have really died down.

Comment

biggest disappointment is a tie between Lito and Booker
      Surprise was Howard and Hanson

Comment

Disappointment - Lorenzo Booker and Tony Hunt ... Reggie Brown bugs me too.

Surprise - Akeem Jordan, Nick Cole, Jason Avant... although I always knew Avant had it in him.
        You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Biggest disappointment was Max Jean-Gilles.

Fortunately, my biggest surprise was Nick Cole.
          Last edited by IMK; 01-07-2009, 01:34 AM.

Comment

Wow, I totally forgot about Booker. Talk about off the radar!

Is he still alive? Somebody is keeping up the Booker Blog but......has anyone............. ACTUALLY ........seen................ Lorenzo Booker.............alive?
            http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Lito and Reggie have been the biggest disappointments for me, no doubt. I didn't expect world-beating numbers from Reggie with our spread-it-around system, but I expected 40-50 catches and he's nowhere near that.

Biggest pleasant surprise? Where did this Desean Jackson dude come from?? Plus, I never expected Darren Howard's comeback, good for him.
              "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
              — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
              - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

My biggest disappointment(s) would be a tie between LJ who gets paid like 1 of the top 10 in the game at his position and Lito who was healthy,but decided to be a punk.
                My surprise is also a tie between Bunkley and Mikel. Both played at a probowl level.Bunk and Patterson have combined to eat up blockers and allow the young LBs to flow to the ball.Mikel has been credited with playing so well that he allows Dawk to be Dawk,which IMO has put this D over the top.
                We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Surprise? Probably has the WR's in general with the exception of Brown. I thought they played exceptionally well. I would pu Howard up there as well.
                  Disappointment? I know we have a lot of votes for Lito and LJ and even Booker but my biggest disappointment is the continued red zone problems. How many winnable games were lost because this team could punch the damn ball into the end zone?
                  I miss Philly!

Comment

Disappointment: Booker, followed by Lito.

Surprise: Mikell. I knew he was decent. But, he has vastly exceeded my expectations. There are so many surprises on defense, that it is hard for me to single out just one.

Flopped as I expected: Reggie Brown and anyone at FB.

Comment

My nominees:

Surprises -
                      Desean Jackson - c'mon - anyone anticipate this rookie hauling in 900 yards as a receiver? I thought he'd kill as a return guy but rookies in this offense haven't really gelled in the past.

Quintin Demps - he's been a contributor at safety which I didn't think would happen after seeing him get burned in the preseason. He's been a terrific special teamer in various capacities as well.

and while we're on Quintins

Quintin Mikell - I think he's been playing like a superstar in a superstar secondary. I thought he'd be solid but not spectacular.

Akeem Jordan - Omar who? He has made Omar Gaither a 2nd teamer (and strangely enough our best special teamer). Great job by the 2nd year guy.

Darren Howard - we all left him for dead. 10 sacks?! Are you kidding me?

Nick Cole - although it's been a brief period - I think he has really asserted himself. I think he could push Jamaal Jackson next year at center (as Cole has been the backup center for quite some time).

Disappointments -

Reggie Brown - We've expected more and not received it. Nuff said.

LJ Smith - he just has never reached the levels his talents promise.

Lito - sad

Lorenzo Booker - I thought he'd fit in better.

And the winners are . . . . .

Surprises - Darren Howard - who saw that coming?

Disappointments - Reggie Brown. He has showed so much promise and he's now the 5th receiver on the depth chart. He was even a healthy deactivation for a # of weeks. Although Lito is very disappointing - he was sort of thrown into this duty so I'd say some of this has been out of his hands but he certainly hasn't helped his cause. LJ is so darn close to winning this though.

Comment

Demps wouldn't be a surprise for me because I expected him to be a playa. This kid is gonna be good.

And Reggie isn't a huge disappointment to me because I've never been enamored with him. He's just a "guy". LJ? Kind of expected this. But Booker was a wildcard.....that has shown to be just a Joker so far.

Comment

Suprises for me: how good the linebackers have become. Howards complete reversal. Demps play in the secondary. Jackson's number of catches. Liked Hanson before, but he has really come on. Mikell playing out of his mind. I honestly can't name a winner here. Kudos all around.

Disppointments: LJ. Andrews missing so much time again. Booker never being a factor. Reggie Brown's disappearing act. Andy's game planning (sometimes). And the king of all disappoinments: Lito.

Comment

Suprises:

#5 - Brian Dawkins - A HOF but I had no idea he was still THIS good.
                            #4 - Stewart Bradley - Step up and became the next in line for an "EAGLES" type of MLB
                            #3 - Quinten Mikell - People were talking ALL PRO around the league on this kid at the end. Wow.
                            #2 - Darren Howard - 10 Sacks? Wow. Just wow. I had him cut last Spring.
                            #1 - DeSean Jackson - When does a rookie WR do what he did for us this year. Where would we be if he had been a bust?

Disapointments:

#5 - Shawn Andrews - The Big Kid has been a Big Connundrum. I understand injuries but it's too bad.
                            #4 - Omar Gaither - Dude couldn't stop the run or the pass. Means he needs to sit. Major move to get Jordan in there.
                            #3 - Lito Sheppard - I own this guys jersey. Now he looks like a Penn State corner vs. USC every play he gets a chance. 15 yard cushions on 3 and 2.
                            #2 - Reggie Brown - I think this is it for his career in Philly. Pedestrian.
                            #1 - LJ Smith - What a joke this guy has become. Waste.
                            Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
                            Playoff Appearances:
                            NFC Title Games:
                            Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH View Post
                              Wow, I totally forgot about Booker. Talk about off the radar!

Is he still alive? Somebody is keeping up the Booker Blog but......has anyone............. ACTUALLY ........seen................ Lorenzo Booker.............alive?
                              I heard that Reno Mahe was prepping him for his upcoming stint down at chickie and pete's.
                              Stand for the flag you assholes!

Eagles, Flyers Phillies fan since 1977. GO O'S!!

Comment

Working...
                              X