Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congrats Q.

Mikell Named 2nd-Team All-Pro

January 9, 2009 | Last Updated: 1/9/09 7:38 PM ET | Comments (6)
    By: DAVE SPADARO

Quntin Mikell didn't believe it at first on Friday when a friend called to say that Mikell had been named a member of The Associated Press
    second-team All-Pro team. But when Eagles secondary coach Sean McDermott called to congratulate Mikell, the Eagles' strong safety knew it was true.

"It's a great feeling and it's nice to be recognized for the way I'm playing and to be among the best safeties in the league," said Mikell, the only Eagle recognized to the All-Pro team recognized as the most "official" in league circles. "It's an honor. I'm excited about it. I'm not in the game for individual recognition, but it is nice that people saw me play and feel I did a good job."

Mikell, in his second year as a starter and in his sixth year out of Boise State, made 169 tackles and had three interceptions and two quarterback sacks in 16 starts this season. Not drafted after a sensational career at Boise State, Mikell made his mark with the Eagles for four seasons as a special teams ace and a package safety. But once Mikell had his chance to start, he improved every week.

Now he is known as one of the best safeties in the league.

"I just want to be somebody to help the team and not be the weak link," said Mikell on Friday night. "The guys around me have helped a lot and I've had a chance to make some plays. Every week, I just want to get better and better and hopefully I'll have a chance to make some plays on Sunday against the Giants."

Mikell and Arizona's Adrian Wilson were named behind Baltimore's Ed Reed and Pittsburgh's Troy Polamalu. Mikell received one vote.

Other Eagles who received votes were cornerback Asante Samuel, who had three votes, defensive end Trent Cole (1 vote), inside linebacker Stewart Bradley (one vote) and offensive tackle Jon Runyan (one vote).

Bradley was named by Peter King to the Sports Illustrated All-Pro team earlier in the week.
    http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...
Working...
X