Philly.Sportscolumn.com

Philly.Sportscolumn.com (http://philly.sportscolumn.com/index.php)
-   Entertainment (http://philly.sportscolumn.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Music Thread (http://philly.sportscolumn.com/showthread.php?t=879)

stevemc 05-25-2006 10:44 AM

Music Thread
 
VFK & I enjoy discussing music so I thought I'd start a thread to discuss whatever music interests may be out there.

Some recent reviews:

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium is decent. There are some fabulous songs on it but a double disc of 28 similarly sounding tunes is overkill. The sum of the parts is greater than the whole.

Pearl Jam - Pretty good - their best stuff in years but to me - that's not saying much

Gnarls Barkley - great, fun CD. I call it the Gorillaz meet Outkast

leifdawg 05-25-2006 11:11 AM

Re: Music Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevemc
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium is decent. There are some fabulous songs on it but a double disc of 28 similarly sounding tunes is overkill. The sum of the parts is greater than the whole.

Really, I was afraid of this; haven't heard the whole album yet but I did like the first single Dani California (and the video is cool too).

sfphillyfan 05-25-2006 11:35 AM

Radiohead is on tour but if you're a fan, you better get on Ticketmaster as soon as they go on sale. The two shows out here in the bay area sold out in 5 mins and they limited to 2 tix per show..

If anyone likes the White Stripes, Jack White's side project the Raconteurs just released their album.

stevemc 05-25-2006 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sfphillyfan
Radiohead is on tour but if you're a fan, you better get on Ticketmaster as soon as they go on sale. The two shows out here in the bay area sold out in 5 mins and they limited to 2 tix per show..

If anyone likes the White Stripes, Jack White's side project the Raconteurs just released their album.

Funny Vin - I have comments for both.

I'm seeing Radiohead a week from today at the Tower Theater. I can't wait!

Just bought the Raconteurs album this AM and am listening to it now. It's very good for a first listen.

sfphillyfan 05-25-2006 12:05 PM

Radiohead at the Tower will be absolutely amazing. I'm surprised they're playing such a small venue.

They're playing the Greek out here, which is much better than a big arena but it's not as intimate as the Tower.

By the way, Radiohead is easily one of the top 5 concerts I've ever been to.

crazy like the monkey 05-25-2006 01:50 PM

I need to go out and get that Raconteurs album. I sort of dismissed the White Stripes at first, but after going back and listening more I've found that I like them a lot - plus Brendan Benson, the other primary member of the Raconteurs, has been an under-the-radar favorite of mine for a while.

sfphillyfan 05-25-2006 01:53 PM

I didn't particularly like the last White Stripes album but White Blood Cells and Elephant are two of my favorite albums of all time. Particularly White Blood Cells. Every song on that album is good except for I Smell a Rat or whatever.

Jack White might be a weirdo but he's damn good.

By the way, it's a 180 but I love Jenny Lewis and the Watson Twins album. Rabbit Fur Coat is constantly on rotation.

stevemc 05-25-2006 02:02 PM

Vin - the Jenny Lewis album has been on my radar for some time. I saw an Austin City Limits of her with Rilo Kiley that intrigued me, her back-up vocals on the Postal Service record added to my interest and I really like her single "Rise Up with Fists".

sfphillyfan 05-25-2006 02:16 PM

While we're doing music recommendations, I think the Rhett Miller CD kicks ass. And they've been getting way too much press but Clap Your Hands Say Yeah's album *really* is that good.

stevemc 05-25-2006 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sfphillyfan
While we're doing music recommendations, I think the Rhett Miller CD kicks ass. And they've been getting way too much press but Clap Your Hands Say Yeah's album *really* is that good.

Agreed on Clap Your Hands Say Yeah. It is one of the best albums of last year.

I saw them at the TLA and watched the show right next to the lead singer's family (he's from Philly). It was a fantastic show.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.