Keeping it in the family: Eagles FO, post-Douglas departure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping it in the family: Eagles FO, post-Douglas departure

As many speculated, the Eagles would likely promote from within. They did just that, giving Andy Weidl (Douglas' right-hand man) Joe's old job. Also different is Howie Roseman's new job title.

It looks like almost everyone got a bump up, and then they added a new face, Max Gruder.

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/...all-operations

Lots of jockeying, lots of names, lots of changes. Hopefully, it was all done with due diligence and not just hiring next guy in line. I feel Lurie has learned a lot in 25 years of ownership so my guess he doesn't just sign off on changes without asking the right questions
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
      Lots of jockeying, lots of names, lots of changes. Hopefully, it was all done with due diligence and not just hiring next guy in line. I feel Lurie has learned a lot in 25 years of ownership so my guess he doesn't just sign off on changes without asking the right questions
      And I think we should have faith in the team that hired Douglas to implement an effective personnel system (which he did) to be able to bring in talented replacements when people leave.

And not miss a beat.

Comment

The Fact that Douglas tried to poach as many of these guys as he could tells you that they are well respected. This is what you have to do to keep these guys. I commend Lurie and Howie for doing this.
        Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Joe Douglas-

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/06/17/jo...-woody-Johnson

EXCERPTS:

Leaving Philly wasn’t easy. And it wasn’t just because there were some pratfalls waiting for him 90 minutes north in Jersey. It was also because of where the Eagles are, which both promised to insulate his place as a hot young executive and provide chances to compete for championships.

“I really feel like that franchise, that football team, they're firing on all cylinders,” Douglas said. “It's as deep of a team as I've ever seen there. And that's including the ’17 team. There's a lot of good going on. And so that made it a really tough decision.”

There are some pretty valuable lessons he’s taking from the infancy of Roseman’s reemergence atop the Philly football operation, and that’s how important it is to bring the building back together after a tumultuous couple years. Within a couple months, the Eagles extended veterans Zach Ertz, Lane Johnson, Vinny Curry and Malcolm Jenkins. And that summer, they got star DT Fletcher Cox done too.

“[Roseman] knew the building was fractured,” Douglas said. “He knew that the players needed a safe harbor. And he wanted to send a message to the homegrown players that if you do right, you're going to be cared for—we're not going to throw the baby out with the bathwater. And I think that went a long way.”

When I asked Douglas if he felt like he had to bring the building back together like Roseman did in Philly, he answered that he didn’t want to judge those that came before him. But, very clearly, and regardless of what happened before, he knows the building needs to be together.

Comment

Howie was spanked quite a bit as "not a football man" so it is nice to see a 'football guy' giving him props. I'm sorry to see Douglas go since he has shown himself to do a quality job but that is the way of the world. I hope he has success--- just not as much as the Eagles.
            And, Philly fans certainly have reason for high hopes the next couple of years
            Hope is not a strategy
            RIP

Comment

More FO Stuff: Donahoe

From Roob-

How critical is mystery man Tom Donahoe to the Eagles?

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelph...donahoe-eagles

He doesn’t want attention. He doesn’t want credit. He doesn’t want accolades. He just wants to quietly do his job and stay safely hidden, deep in the shadows.

And he’s been doing that for the Eagles since 2012.
              A little background: Donahoe spent 1991 through 1999 as the Steelers’ general manager, a span where they won four straight AFC Central titles, went to the playoffs six straight times and reached three AFC title games and a Super Bowl.

After a power struggle with Bill Cowher left him briefly unemployed, he landed with the Bills, where he served as general manager until 2005.

Donahoe joined the Eagles’ front office as a “senior advisor” before the 2012 season and survived Andy Reid’s firing and the Chip Kelly Era, earning a promotion to senior director of player personnel on Dec. 29, 2015 — the same day Kelly was fired and Howie Roseman’s power was restored.

In the years since, he has been a crucial yet hidden voice in the Eagles' front office.
              Donahoe is rarely seen. He’s been made available by the team for one interview — in the NovaCare Complex cafeteria in April of 2015, along with all the team’s scouts — and he was entertaining and insightful, regaling the media with stories of his career, including the role he played in converting Jason Peters from an undrafted tight end into a Hall of Fame offensive lineman while both were in Buffalo.

That was four years ago. For the most part, you don’t hear about Donahoe. You don’t read about him. But make no mistake about it. He is a huge part of this franchise.

Donaohoe is a valued sounding board for Roseman, and a trusted adviser for owner Jeff Lurie.

Donahoe grew up in the South Hills neighborhood of Pittsburgh and played football at South Hills Catholic, where one of his teammates was George Weidl.

George Weidl's sons? They would be Andy and Casey, who are both now key members of the Eagles’ scouting department. Andy last week was promoted to vice president of player personnel, with Joe Douglas becoming Jets GM, and Casey was just promoted to director of scouting operations.

Donahoe evaluated film for Roseman and Douglas when they were building a Super Bowl roster. He was on Lurie's search committee that recommended Pederson. He’s single-handedly responsible for two of the team’s highly regarded young scouting administrators.
              Donahoe’s fingerprints are all over this franchise.

Comment

Thanks. Nice read. I have often said that, generally speaking, we as fans really know very little about the true operations of the teams. We see a contract but know nothing of the negotiation. We see players who don't go to voluntary, or maybe even mandatory, camp and read the doom and gloom but know little to nothing about the communication that is going on between team, agent, and player. I could go on and on.
                I did wonder when I read the article about the promotions what the deal was with the Weidels.
                Hope is not a strategy
                RIP

Comment

Working...
                X