Gowton on De'Vante Bausby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gowton on De'Vante Bausby

• One of my biggest takeaways from Tuesday’s practice is that De’Vante Bausby is legitimately a name to watch this offseason. The 25-year-old cornerback first stood out in last week’s OTA practice and he followed that up with another strong outing today. Bausby lined up as the Eagles’ first team nickel corner and did a nice job of covering Nelson Agholor at times. He made a leaping pass breakup on a Nick Foles throw to Agholor over the middle of the field. He also had tight coverage on a number of plays. Jim Schwartz praised Bausby prior to Tuesday’s session.

He’s a competitive player. He did a really good job for us on the scout teams last year. He was ready to play for us last year if need be. He did a great job not just on the practice field but in the meeting room, being up on the game plan. We were fortunate that we didn’t have so many injuries there that he needed to go. But he was ready, and he had the confidence of the coaching staff. He sort of spread his wings a little bit, working in some different positions. He’s a very, very competitive player. He’s got good size, but his competitiveness stands out. You guys will see that.

You didn’t see him in training camp last year. You guys will see that in training camp this year. I’m excited about him. We’re all excited about the contributions he made to our team last year, and what he can do this year. Again, his contributions were behind the scenes last year. But we have a lot of guys that have an impact on Sunday that might not be playing.

He worked the offense hard last year. I think those guys have respect for him, and I know our coaches have respect for him.

Bausby was on the Chiefs’ roster bubble last year before getting cut and signing with the Eagles’ practice squad. There’s still way too much offseason left to call him a lock but he’s certainly trending in the right direction early on. The Eagles might have even more competition at corner than they previously thought, which certainly isn’t a bad thing.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Just one more piece that can lead to trading Darby but we will see
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
      Just one more piece that can lead to trading Darby but we will see
      I don't want Darby going anywhere. We've got about 10 picks next year anyway.

Comment

CB is getting crowded. Not saying they will unload him this month but I am sure they are listening. If this guy and Maddox are what some are saying, and I stress it is an if, but if they are players there isn't enough room for everyone.
        Darby, Douglas, Mills, Jones, etc
        Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
        Hope is not a strategy
        RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
          CB is getting crowded. Not saying they will unload him this month but I am sure they are listening. If this guy and Maddox are what some are saying, and I stress it is an if, but if they are players there isn't enough room for everyone.
          Darby, Douglas, Mills, Jones, etc
          It's sounding more and more like we might have a problem with a lot of good dbs which is certainly nice. Darby is the best playmaker of the bunch though. We haven't had a defensive backfield like this since Al Harris was bitching about playing time!

Comment

Alshon told Bausby last year he was better than Washington's corners. Sounds encouraging. I could see Howie doing a training camp/preseason deal similar to the Matthews/Darby deal last year.

Comment

It seems as though Joe Douglas is finding talent all over the place! We've got to find a way to keep him. He might be the most valuable guy in the whole organization.

Comment

Working...
              X