Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zac Brown Coming to Town

Signs 1 year deal
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

3 million isn’t bad
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Really like him as a linebacker, better player than Hicks was. Just realized that Washington released him so it doesn't effect the comp pick formula. Howie is a master
      Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

A bandaid but a good one. We'll be in the same spot next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Vet Turf View Post
          A bandaid but a good one. We'll be in the same spot next year.
          Maybe in 2020 there will be a better crop of LB's in the draft. Besides, it seems like every year lately Howie and his staff pull rabbits out of their hat to fill in any roster holes with both trades and FO's. I don't know if they have been good, lucky or combination of both.

I was really worried about this year as I thought we would be forced into losing some talent due to the cap. Instead, this team is stronger IMO. Our LB by committee may not be a strength. But, it is at least OK and we are loaded at the all important positions.

2019/20 should be a great year as long as Carson can stay healthy. Injuries should be the only thing that can stop this team from being in the top 1/3 next season.

Comment

I wonder why Washington let him go? He had 149 tackles in 2017! Last year he had 96 before getting benched though it lists him playing 16 games. Did he have some kind of injury or did Washington sign Dick Butkus or something?
            "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

This explains part of it anyway

Redskins' Zach Brown: Struggled through injury in 2018
              by RotoWire Staff Dec 31, 2018 at 3:20 pm ET • 1 min read

Brown said that he played through the 2018 season with a torn oblique and "should have sat out," JP Finlay of NBC Sports Washington reports.

Brown finished up the year with 96 tackles, one sack and two forced fumbles, a stark decrease in production compared to his last two seasons. It now appears that part of the reason for Brown's statistical regression can be attributed to playing through a torn oblique for much of 2018, which the veteran linebacker describes as having been "painful every day." Brown will benefit from a full offseason to recover from his injury and attempt to bounce back in 2019. However, amidst reports that the Redskins are considering moving on from Brown, the 29-year-old's next chance could come elsewhere in the league.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                I wonder why Washington let him go? He had 149 tackles in 2017! Last year he had 96 before getting benched though it lists him playing 16 games. Did he have some kind of injury or did Washington sign Dick Butkus or something?
                All about the M.O.N.E.Y. I think he was making 7 mill a year and they are paying a QB who will never play again and huge money to Landon Collins. Plus they picked up Ruben Foster on waivers the end of last year and I don't think he is going to be suspended.

All that adds to him being released. Good player, always played well against us
                Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Love the move. Have always appreciated his play

Comment

Just another flyer--- some upside at a reasonable cost.

Comment

Agree it is kind of MO for birds LB. Reasonable cost, good but not great player. I'm sure they have reasonable info on why he was let go but you never know, or maybe I should say there are many possibilities on, why a guy is let go. Hell we unloaded McCoy and Jackson who were still pretty good players at the time.
                      I just think the birds have put a lot of options together to see what comes out in camp. No superstars but good players who can augment a real good DL. And on offense guys are going to have to work, ie with Sanders/Howard/Clement you are going to have to work if you want to play. Same at WR
                      Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                      Hope is not a strategy
                      RIP

Comment

Keep in mind Bradham only got 2 years at 4 mil each when we signed him as a FA back in 2016.

They aren’t all cheap average short term deals in May and June IMHO

Comment

This certainly can't hurt

Eagles sign former Redskins LB Zach Brown
                          May
                          5/3/2019 10:06:09 AM
                          |More
                          The Philadelphia Eagles have signed former Washington Redskins inside linebacker Zach Brown to a one-year deal according to Darin Gantt of Pro Football Talk.com.

Released by the Redskins in a salary-cap move in March, it's somewhat surprising it took this long for Brown to find a new home. Originally a second-round pick of the Tennessee Titans out of North Carolina in 2012, Browns spent the first four years of his NFL career in Tennessee and one year in Buffalo before manning the middle for the Redskins the past two seasons. The 29-year-old has remained productive throughout, grading out as Pro Football Focus' No. 3 off-ball linebacker out of 61 qualifiers last season behind only the Panthers' Luke Kuechly and the Seahawks' Bobby Wagner. . After losing Jordan Hicks in free agency, Brown is a quality replacement in the middle of the Eagles' defense.

Comment

Good Move IMO.
                            Just give me ONE before I go!

Comment

From Gowton piece:

3 - One must wonder why Brown was available
                              Speaking of PFF, Brown was their third best graded linebacker in 2018. So ... why was he cut, then?

Read this from ESPN:

Brown would make flashy plays, but Washington wanted more consistency, both as a run-stopper and in coverage. Though he played with an oblique injury last year, he was relegated to a backup role for the final four games more for those issues than because he was hurt. After his benching, Brown said he could see the “writing on the wall” with his time in Washington. […] They re-signed him last offseason to a three-year year deal worth up to $24 million, though the decision was not viewed as a unanimous one throughout the organization.

It’s also worth noting this year isn’t the first time Brown has lingered on the free agent market. It was several weeks into the new league year before Brown left the Titans to sign with the Bills in 2016. Coming off both Pro Bowl and second-team All-Pro honors with Buffalo, Brown took about a month before signing with Washington in 2017. This year, Brown was available for just under two months despite the fact he wouldn’t count against a team’s comp pick formula.

Point being: teams haven’t exactly been blowing down Brown’s door to get him... or trying to retain him once they have him. One can only wonder about the reasons why Brown has struggled to find stability in the NFL.

Comment

Working...
                              X