No announcement yet.

What's my age again??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am 35 and do not feel I have jumped the shark yet, but luckily have some good genetics on my side...

Still actively ski, bike, hike, canoe, kayak, run, play golf, tennis, squash, walk constantly rather than driving (center city Philadelphia is great for this) and work alot on the elliptical machine. I stretch all the time and have worked on my flexibility alot as I have gotten older.

I am doing the Broad Street Run for the first time this May and gearing up for an attempt at the 1/2 Philadelphia Marathon in the fall...running was never a big activity for me and I may regret it, but it is fun so far...

Do I have more aches and pains that I did before? Sure...what does not kill me makes me stronger though...if I could not be physically active I might go nuts...it is the vehicle I use to get rid of my stress...I am still in the 180-185 lb range I have been in since I was in college.

I have also taken nutrition much more seriously in the last 5 years or so...eat smaller meals and eat better food to help your body recover and stay strong...I have cut way back on the crap, stopped smoking when I left college and barely drink except 1-2 nights per week at most...

Never broken a bone yet, knock on wood...lots of sprains, jams and bruises...have some back pain and one knee that flares up if I really push it hiking downhill...otherwise in good shape although mentally I am hopeless...
    Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro
      I am 45 (and will be 45 until my birthday).

I still get down on the wrestling mat with young studs. I feel the pain, but that is expected when using certain muscles for the first time in months. I STILL give top HS wrestlers in the country a battle...when I can go more than two minutes.

Wow, some may not appreciate what a feat that really is I was a good HS wrestler but I could not have wrestled into my 30's let alone 40's. You are a stud dude.

Comment

41. It happened at 38 when I separated my AC joint playing my son(15 at the time) in basketball. Before then I could throw a softball from the deepest RF or CF to the the plate with ease. Now I can hardly get it the ball to 2nd base without pain. It hurts mentally watching people take extra bases on you because you can't throw like I use to......
        I miss Philly!

Comment

I also have some minor hearing loss from tank gunnery and the turbine engines.

The aches and pains just seem to be cumlative over time. Nothing heals easily anymore. I remember playing basketball for four hours at a time down on the 34th St courts in Ocean City in high school and still have energy to go out.

Those days be long gone. Between the stress of work and now that I'll be a Dad in 6 weeks, my energies will be at a premium.

Comment

Originally posted by eaglefan55
            Originally posted by Pedro
            I am 45 (and will be 45 until my birthday).

I still get down on the wrestling mat with young studs. I feel the pain, but that is expected when using certain muscles for the first time in months. I STILL give top HS wrestlers in the country a battle...when I can go more than two minutes.

Wow, some may not appreciate what a feat that really is I was a good HS wrestler but I could not have wrestled into my 30's let alone 40's. You are a stud dude.
            I appreciate your understanding, but I do it because of my job...tussling with drunks. Some of my former teammates think I'm nuts, but it is all about how you approach it and why you do it. I LOVE wrestling, and coach on an off (HS and youth). Coaching taught me how to work out with the kids and taught me how to wrestle without using a lot of energy (muscle). Two of the kids I work out with the past three years have been in NJ finals twice each. One just won Jersey title at 171 and is going to Va Tech. The other just finished 3rd at Div 2 Nationals. I do not wrestle to beat them, so I give up when pain is nearing. I try to give them different looks and try to give them a battle. I am good on top, which is where I make them work the most. BTW, I wait til the last session to jump into the round robins, so I can off-set my lack of wind.

The injuries are more nagging, but are similar to the pain when I start up lifting. It is worth it when these guys do well.

I forgot, though, I threw my back out three years ago sneezing. I can wrestle 10 minutes in practice, but can't sneeze? Maybe I am kidding myself about the shark.
            Pedro

Comment

Originally posted by Luzinski's Gut
              In my case it was numerous years of competitive basketball, lacrosse and rugby added with being a tanker in the Army.

I was playing hoops when my achilles popped (33). I was playing hoops when I dislocated my right pinkie (26). I was playing hoops when I had my first attack of back spasms (23). I was playing hoops when I broke my nose (22). I was playing hoops when I severly sprained an ankle (27). I was playing hoops when I had my lip busted open and received a major concussion (17).

The lesson here - stay the fuck away from basketball unless you are getting a scholarship!
              I can't believe you srvived all that rucking with no injuries. Of course rugby normally results in more blood injuries (Brusing and cuts). This makes me think you are white, since it is clear you can't jump.
              Pedro

Comment

OOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH, here we go with the racial stereotypes!!!! Somebody, call Jessie Jackson!!!
                http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

I think i may have just jumped it. I was playing tennis for the first time in a while in a while (wearing the wrong shoes...) and i hurt my heel. I figure a couple weeks and it'd be ok. Yesterday, I'm out there for 5 minutes (wearing the right shoes) before I injured it again.

Comment

I'm so honkey that for a time some of the African-American gentlemen I played ball with nicknamed me "Sunday Edition" because I couldn't jump over the Sunday Edition of a newspaper.

Comment

Just turned 30 last week, and this thread is scaring the shit out of me.

I was in the best shape of my life at around 28 when I did peak triathlon training. I still try to keep up the running and biking, but I usually do it at a leisurely pace; haven't had time to join any competitive clubs here in NYC for weeknight racing.

I do brazilian jiu jitsu / submission wrestling and soccer about 5 times a week, and there are mornings where I wake up with really bad sore spots. But so far, no deteriorating knees or dislocated joints. I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

I'm sticking with "not jumped yet", but I'll probably enroll in a shitload of yoga before I hit 35, since that appears to be the consensus age where you blow out your knees and jam a few fingers in a gratuitous barfight.

Comment

I'll be turning 31 this summer. I haven't jumped anything yet, but I can definitely see some fins on the horizon.
                        The definition of insanity is to continually repeat the same action and expect different results.

Thus the Redskins and their fans are, by definition, insane.

Comment

Physically?Jumped the shark around age 48 when I started having trouble getting up stairs w/o a 5 minute recovery time. I have since jumped back after losing 70 pounds.....hoping to hell they don't find me again because they always bring some new friends with them.

Mentally?? I'm afraid I'm mid-jump right now... I seem to be starting a decent into being a bitter old man....something I really don't want to become
                          (i'm thinking here...)

Comment

I turn 30 in a month. I had surgery on my knee three times by the age of 14 so my competitive sports days have been long over. I was told at the age of 12 that I would probably have severe arthritis by my mid-30s. Yippeee! I've also severely sprained my ankle twice and the damned thing is permanently swollen.

That said, my competitive drinking days are peaking and that's definitely taking a toll. The hangovers are brutal, but I'll still take on all comers.

But in all seriousness, I'm starting to get active again with biking and softball (yes, after years of being completely idle, I consider softball being active) because I know things can fall off quickly if you don't keep physically busy.

I'm still in good shape despite the fact I'm in front of a computer way too much.

In fact, I'm in such good shape, I will fight anyone here.

Comment

Why don't you go wrestle Pedro?
                              http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH
                                Why don't you go wrestle Pedro?

Don't go messin' with Pedro. I believe he's originally a Cherry Hill, NJ guy. They don't make 'em any badder!

Comment

Working...
                                X