Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jernigan contract-Wow, talk about team friendly!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jernigan contract-Wow, talk about team friendly!!

Tim Jernigan contract

The numbers are in, and Tim Jernigan’s pay cut was ... massive.

Jernigan re-signed with the Eagles on Friday about six weeks after the Eagles declined the option on his contract, making him an unrestricted free agent.

Jernigan’s previous contract? Four years, $48 million.

The new contract? One year, $1.25 million with bonuses that can bring the deal up to $2 million.

Only $1 million of the deal is guaranteed — $750,000 of the base salary and the $250,000 signing bonus.

Jernigan is only 26 and when he’s been healthy has shown flashes of being a dominating defensive tackle.

But his month and a half on the open market apparently did not result in any substantive offers on a long-term deal, because he’s making only slightly more than NFL minimum wage for players with five years of experience.

With this deal, the Eagles get a potential impact defensive lineman at a bargain-basement price for a year, and he gets to prove himself this year and reach free agency as a 27-year-old this offseason.

In addition to the $1 million base salary, Jernigan got a $250,000 signing bonus, and he’ll get $31,250 for each game that he’s active for a max of $500,000 in weekly roster bonuses. Jernigan also has a $250,000 workout bonus written into the deal.

Jernigan carries a $1.625 million cap number for 2019 (in addition to his existing dead money), which includes the $1 million base, $125,000 of the weekly roster bonuses (based on his 2018 playing time), the $250,000 signing bonus and the $250,000 roster bonus.

This is a far cry from what Jernigan was scheduled to earn.

Jernigan was initially due to make $11 million in 2019 and $12 million in both 2020 and 2021, with cap figures of $13 million in 2019 and $14 million in 2020 and 2021.

When he was released, the Eagles cleared $13 million in cap space but took on $6 million in dead money — the three remaining $2 million pro-rated years — for a net savings of $7 million under the cap.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

It is but he is coming off a bad back so I can see why nobody else took a chance on him. I hope he is fully healthy because he will be an absolute steal.
    Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
      It is but he is coming off a bad back so I can see why nobody else took a chance on him. I hope he is fully healthy because he will be an absolute steal.
      Great player. I just hope that he doesn't regret coming back from that kind of injury that can cause lifetime repercussions. He looked great when he came back last season so maybe he's OK.

Comment

I don't believe anyone ever heard how he injured his back or what the injury was did they?
        Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
        Hope is not a strategy
        RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
          I don't believe anyone ever heard how he injured his back or what the injury was did they?
          There was something strange about that injury and the way they setted his contract concerning it.

Comment

Working...
          X