So it was all bullshit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So it was all bullshit

All the reports, rumors, inside stories in the end were all bullshit. Chip sat back and took the BPA at 20. They wanted Nelson but didn't panic at picks 15-19. There were brief conversations with Tennessee and Tampa but they wanted too much and that was it. The Kendricks thing now becomes disturbing though. I don't want to see him or Mathis go.

Eagles make USC receiver Nelson Agholor their top pick

The Eagles lost Jeremy Maclin in March, leaving a major hole at wide receiver. On Thursday night, they tried filling it in the draft with Southern California's Nelson Agholor - a player who is compared to Maclin. He becomes the first wide receiver the Eagles selected in the first round since Maclin in 2009.

The Eagles tabbed Agholor with the No. 20 overall pick after they could not move up to acquire Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota.

"Real versatile guy, real smart guy, really understands the game," Eagles coach Chip Kelly said. "Can line up anywhere."

Kelly showed significant interest in Agholor throughout the pre-draft process. That included a visit to the NovaCare Complex and a private workout in Tampa, Fla., where the Nigerian native was raised.

The Eagles left impressed with Agholor, who at 6-foot and 198 pounds has identical measurements to Maclin. But Kelly noted differences between the two. Maclin excelled as an outside receiver, whereas Kelly said they could use Agholor inside and outside. Agholor has "good linear speed," Kelly said, and ran the 40-yard dash in 4.42 seconds at the combine.

"He's a great fit for what we're doing," Kelly said.

Agholor said he "had a bit of a sense" that the Eagles would select him after workouts. He asked questions during the visit to the NovaCare Complex about scheme and coverage, leaving Kelly with the belief that he's a "student of the game." That excited the coach.

"He's in the Jordan Matthews category in terms of approach to the game," Kelly said. "I think the great thing about Nelson is he has a growth mind-set, not a fixed mind-set."

The team has selected a wide receiver in the first, second, and third rounds in the last two years. Agholor, who turns 22 in May, joins Matthews and Josh Huff as up-and-coming players in the receiving corps. They join veterans Riley Cooper and Miles Austin in a unit that has been revamped since Kelly arrived.

"I like the guys we have now," Kelly said. "We feel we wanted to get another guy in that room, and we were excited to get Nelson to add to that group."

In a draft with depth at wide receiver, the Eagles could have waited for one in a later round. They considered that approach, but Kelly said Agholor was the top player on their board and they thought the value was too significant to bypass. He said they sweated through picks 15 to 19, worrying that Agholor would be selected. When three or four teams called the Eagles with offers, Kelly did not want to move down.

"I think I have abilities . . . to get open, blocking," Agholor said. "I have a great opportunity to continue to grow daily. I don't want to be a player that just pans out today. I think I have a lot of opportunities to grow as a player.

Agholor had a standout junior season for the Trojans, totaling 104 catches for 1,313 yards and 12 touchdowns in 13 games. He is also a standout returner, with a USC record four punt-return touchdowns during his three-year career.

Oregon offered Agholor a scholarship out of college, so Kelly was familiar with him. He also saw Agholor up close catch six passes for 126 yards and one touchdown in 2012. That left an impression on Kelly, who saw him "getting better and better" during his time at USC. Kelly now gets to coach him instead of against him.

"I was following him with my eyes when he was running by me," Kelly said. "Obviously well aware of him. I think everybody in the country was well aware of him. Had 104 catches this past season, was one of the best receivers in college football."

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...tKg6IGZ1A6G.99
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Of course it was all bullshit. Half the stuff you read in the papers and on the Internet is the product of someone's fertile mind. That is why you can't get too excited about anything until it has some substance in reality.
    "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

Well I'm sure glad it was after reading what the "so called " offers were. Total BS as nobody would have turned down that offer from Philly if it had any truth to it! Pure BS.

Comment

I don't know how "brief" the conversations with Tenn and Tampa were, nor do i know what the offers were. There is no question the Eagles were interested in acquiring Mariota, otherwise there would have been no such conversations. I doubt we ever get the details, but don't pretend that there was no interest, and no story here.
        http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

They probably said that they would need at least our 1 and 2 this year, and our 1 and 2 next year. They might have even asked for our 1 in 2017.
          Chip said no thanks.
          Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

There definitely was interest in acquiring Mariota, but how many of the speculative "news reports" about the proposals made by the Eagles were complete fabrications?
            "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

There was some smoke but no fire.

I still think he would have been a SB QB with this system but as I said all along as much as I liked him here, Chip couldn't give away the future.

But what I am glad about was that Chip understood, as many of us did, that the loss of talent on O, especially at WR HAD to be fixed. And he got the perfect person available at 20.

I am very pleased.

Comment

Listen, as a Michigan alum (sorry, I know .. my family calls me a traitor), having seen how the NFL media reported on the Harbaugh story ... there is a significant lack of credibility among all these NFL reporters.

I have no doubt there was interest but I don't think we'll truly know what the conversations were like and what potentially was included.

For sure, I do not trust a whole lot of the la canfora's and rappaport's of the world.

Comment

Originally posted by stocknowledge View Post
                  There definitely was interest in acquiring Mariota, but how many of the speculative "news reports" about the proposals made by the Eagles were complete fabrications?
                  My guess is close to 100%

Comment

Of course it was all BS... our media constantly inflames situations for the better of themselves, and the media brand.

On the pick... This guy is solid. I told E60 yesterday as I was killing time in the Des Moines airport (holy crap there is nothing to do there)...I would love them to get Nelson, or Strong... My bias is towards ASU, but both are solid. I'd give the pick a solid B plus... not an A simply because of it was the 20th pick. If they took him in the top 10 we'd be speaking differently.

Comment

God, I have been screaming this for years here and on all places I post.

The media sucks and anybody that takes what they read or hear from the sports media, as anything more than fabricated, 10% truth, 100% rumor or taking one guys "thought" and running with it as fact ------------ is totally NUT's!

Can't say it enough!

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post

The media sucks and anybody that takes what they read or hear from the sports media, as anything more than fabricated, 10% truth, 100% rumor or taking one guys "thought" and running with it as fact ------------ is totally NUT's!

Can't say it enough!
                        When they were reporting what Chip was offering Tampa and Jacksonville 10 minutes before the pick I just laughed at that point. Seriously, HOW WOULD ANYONE KNOW? They protect this information like top secret military information. Like they were letting idle reporters run in and out of the draft rooms. What a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post

Can't say it enough!
                          Everyone is looking to break "THE" story, facts be damned,accuracy as well. Just be the first to blurt it out and have 800,000 hits on your blog. I remember the old days reading the Inky and Daily News when NOTHING hit the wire that was speculation unless it was mentioned as pure speculation. The writers were award winning and we'll respected, now every writer is no better than us with the dribble that we post here.
                          We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
                            Everyone is looking to break "THE" story, facts be damned,accuracy as well. Just be the first to blurt it out and have 800,000 hits on your blog. I remember the old days reading the Inky and Daily News when NOTHING hit the wire that was speculation unless it was mentioned as pure speculation. The writers were award winning and we'll respected, now every writer is no better than us with the dribble that we post here.
                            I can't remember which network tat I was watching, but I think it was NFL. Even their own network puts out garbage. It's more and more like the WWF everyday.

Comment

I don't have any doubt that Kelly had discussions with the Titans. And, I'm pretty sure he offered them something very enticing. The sticking point was that they felt, along with Chip, that Mariota is a special player. If you honestly feel that Mariota is a franchise QB, and he can get you there, you have to take him.

Still, it made the draft exciting. Chip keeps things interesting.

I'm ready to roll with Bradford. I know Chip craves Mariota's speed to the edge in the zone read, and Sam isn't going to give him that. But, he's quicker than Foles. I'm hoping he can run things faster than Nick, or Sanchez. Another reason Chip wanted Mariota is to go fassssst. I get it. But, I don't think Chip traded for Bradford to get Mariota. Bradford played in the spread in college, was the first pick in the draft, and seems like a great kid. I think he's gonna turn his career around.

Comment

Working...
                              X