observations from Eagles-Colts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• observations from Eagles-Colts

A win is a win is a win. Once again another Eagles game another game where there are 25 plus penalties called in the game. If the NFL doesn't realize that its really hurting their product then they are just bling.

1. Carson Wentz - Good game, don't let anyone else tell you any different. Yes the INT was bad, but other than that he showed he was elusive, still has the arm strength and can really still run the offense despite being down so many weapons. Could he have been better sure but I look at first game back he certainly showed well.

2. Jake Elliot - NO more misses dude.

3. Oline - Worst game I have seen them have in some time. They consistently were giving up pressure, 5 sacks is too many, worst game i have seen Lane Johnson have in some time.

4. Schwartz - Right now he is making zero adjustments. He just keeps playing cover 2 and 3 and hoping his line to gets the QB. The corners continue to play 10 yards off the receivers. I can't blame the corners when its the defensive scheme.

5. Jalen Mills - two more bad penalties on him. Now the last one was questionable but that is going to be called on the defense every time when its called.

6. Dallas Goedert - Everytime he catches the ball I have to check to see if its 86 or 88. He and Ertz are like carbon copies. Ertz is a little faster but I can't wait to see what Goedert looks like with a little more playing time.

7. 4th Quarter - That was one helluva drive by the Eagles in the 4th quarter. 11 1/2 minutes really impressive. Wentz was 8 for 8 on that drive. the RB's ran hard.

8. Special Teams - they are not very special Can we get a returner who actually knows how to return. Flat footed catches, slow speed up. I get Sproles is hurt but their is no reason why Shelton Gibson shouldn't be our returner. He was a dynamic returner in college.

Overall it was a sloppy rain filled game that we won.
    Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

I'd review the game tape before jumping on Schwartz taz. They only gave up 200 yards today. It's the penalties that kill them.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

We got lucky on that Agholor 1st down. He stepped out of bounds. Reich blew not having that reviewed

I do think Scwartz needs to mix in blitzes once in a while. It can’t always be 4 lineman rushing and off coverage. Lucky for us we played two games on grass vs done teams that couldn’t exploit it

Comment

I thought that it was pretty cool to have Ertz play slot most of the time today and move Aggie outside. WTF do they see in Perkins??? The guy has no speed, can't get open and has dropped 3 passes.

Comment

I believe it was Mills who fought through a lineman on a screen pass and bottled up the play. He had some good moments.
          We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
            I believe it was Mills who fought through a lineman on a screen pass and bottled up the play. He had some good moments.

Like I said in another thread MM he's Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Makes a lot of really good plays and then hurts you bad on others. I can forgive getting beat on double moves. That can happen to anybody. It's the grabby crap he's always doing that pisses me off.

Comment

The one PI where the receiver stopped and came back is understandable . I really only fault him for one. As a defense we had 9 PD today and only gave up like 230 yards. Luck only had 160ish yards passing and 70 of that was on the last drive. The defense played fairly well. Take away the penalties and 3 big plays and we gave up like 140 yards
              We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Old record..... Take away the big plays and..........

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
                  Take away the penalties and 3 big plays and we gave up like 140 yards
                  Reminds me a little of a footnote from history..."Other than that Mrs Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?"

Comment

Originally posted by tinopuno View Post
                    Reminds me a little of a footnote from history..."Other than that Mrs Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?"

A little sick but funny!

Comment

I watched all but final drive. Watched that later. I am concerned about the OL specifically. Too much pressure.

The defense played well. The two PIs on Mills are what’s killing the league. The back shoulder or under thrown ball where the WR immediately stops and comes back is just a crap call. Makes it impossible to play DB in this league.

Generally, the officials yesterday were horrible and too large a factor in the game. The Colts have every reason to be angry as well.

Wentz played well. So did Ertz and Adams and Clement. Barnett remains an enigma. Not sure about him yet.

The weather really seemed to effect the play calling more than the play itself.
                      You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

I thought Smallwood played well. I know he’s one that many love to hate.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                          I'd review the game tape before jumping on Schwartz taz. They only gave up 200 yards today. It's the penalties that kill them.
                          Yes the penalties are killing them no doubt but most of them are legit. They have to clean it up and that is on Schwartz.

Secondly, I can care less about yards given up. All I know is the Colts were at the 5 yard line with a chance to win the game because they played a very vanilla bend and break defense that let them get there. If it wasn't for Barnett making a heckuva play they lose that game. You can't rely on that every week. They need to be more aggressive with the game on the line. The Atlanta game ended the same way.

The lack of a pass rush is as much to do with the way the back 7 are playing vs how bad the four 4 are playing. The consistent cushion given is way too much. Luck was getting rid of the ball in under 2.5 seconds. That means you need to tighten up the coverage if you want your pressure to get there.

The Colts had two drops on sure TD's in the end zone, that is more luck than skill. Can't rely on that.

Yes the offense put the defense in bad position twice, but the defense and special teams did nothing to help the offense the entire game. No turnovers, penalty after penalty on the special teams no speed in the returners on special teams. I think the best starting position that the offense had was their own 35 yard line.

I am seeing a bad trend with this defense right now, it has been since the Super Bowl. Yes they are still winning but eventually, it is going to bite them in the ass.
                          Last edited by taz; 09-24-2018, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post

Generally, the officials yesterday were horrible and too large a factor in the game. The Colts have every reason to be angry as well.

You guys know I am the first one to criticize the officials. I just didn't see them as horrible yesterday. The Eagles are a sloppy football team right now, they clutch and grab too much.

I honestly thought the first PI on Mills was ticky tacky as they both were going for the ball, but I have seen it called before so nothing you can do about it. The second one was legit PI, he was grabbing Hilton the entire time and yes Hilton was pushing off of him to but that is going to be called on the defender 100% of the time.

The state of officiating is a problem in football right now, the fact is they have way too many rules that are up to the interpretation of older guys who have to make split-second decisions. For the most part, they are pretty good at it but when there are on average 25 flags a game thrown or one every 5 or 6 plays they are bound to miss a few.

This is not just the Eagles although they seem to be getting their lions share of them, its all-around football. I watch 4 different games yesterday so many penalties. Its almost like you can't celebrate a good play under after look in the corner of the screen to see if there were any flags

Comment

I can't bash the defense. They gave up 209 yards and only 16 points while having to face two turnovers in their own red zone. They were stout.

Elliot being asked to kick a 55 yarder with a wet ball and bad elements was not fair either. Poor decision by Doug there. We had the Colts where we wanted them and pinning them deep while up 7-0 would have kept momentum our way. Instead, we miss the field goal, give them the ball on the 45 yard line and they get a TD.

Comment

Working...
                              X