No announcement yet.

Report: Eagles will be "first in line" to sign Plaxico Burress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He could really help with the Eagles redzone problems assuming he has anything left in the tank.

But seriously are the Eagles the new Raiders?
    Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

http://bloggingthebeast.com/2011/05/...o-be-an-eagle/

Plaxico Burress soon to be an Eagle? Does it make sense?
      May 23rd, 2011 by Jimmy Kempski.

Gary Myers of the New York Post reported “I’ve heard that the Eagles will eventually be first in line” to sign Plaxico Burress whenever free agency resumes. It’s unclear whether Myers is purely speculating on this, or whether he actually has concrete information to support the claim. Regardless, let’s take a look at how it makes sense (and doesn’t make sense) for the Eagles to take a run at Burress.

Why it makes sense:

- Plaxico Burress destroyed the Eagles as a New York Giant. The Giants haven’t been beaten the Eagles since Burress has been gone, which might be more than just a coincidence. When a player has the kind of success that Burress had against the Eagles, it’s only natural to be intrigued by the idea of bringing that player aboard. Here are Plax’s numbers against Philly:

>CLICK THE LINK FOR THE CHART<

- Burress turns 34 years of age in August. However, being an old WR and an old RB isn’t quite the same. Here is a quick list of NFL wide receivers at or around Burress’ age that were starters at the beginning of the 2010 season, and how they fared last season statistically (ages are as of Sept. 12, 2010, or opening day last season). The numbers aren’t spectacular, but they do at least indicate that receivers can still be productive late in their NFL careers:

>CLICK THE LINK FOR THE CHART<

- Burress brings a skill set that is currently missing from the Eagles’ offense. Due to the dynamics that Michael Vick brings to the Eagles’ offense, they were improved in the red zone in 2010, but certainly have room to get better. Burress, at 6’5, would provide Vick with a potential matchup nightmare on the outside to go along with the mix of shrimpy speedy guys.

Why it doesn’t make sense:

- As noted above, Plaxico Burress will be 34 years old in August. While there are receivers still contributing at Plax’s age, there will rightfully be concerns about how much he can contribute after being away from football for the past two seasons. By comparison, Michael Vick was only moderately effective (being generous) in his limited action his first year back from two years of jail. It took him a year to get his sea legs. I would have to imagine that the difficulty level of returning to the NFL after two years is a much more difficult task as a QB than it is as a WR, but it’s still a valid concern. If it takes him a year to get back to something close to what he was before he shot himself, he’ll be 35 by then. The Eagles historically stay far, far away from aging vets.

- The Eagles are loaded at WR. DeSean Jackson. Jeremy Maclin. Jason Avant. That’s an excellent trio of receivers. Add in promising second year player Riley Cooper and you have an elite group of young, talented receivers. Typically, you want your receivers that don’t start to play special teams. First, Plax will not be playing special teams. Second, will he embrace a much less significant role than the one he had in New York?
      - Baggage. I don’t put as much stock in Plaxico’s past as others do. Frankly, I find it truly absurd that the man went to jail for this long for shooting himself in the leg. Still, the Eagles tend to shy away from locker room distraction types. I don’t know if that’s what Plaxico Burress is, but it’s worth noting I suppose. The other side of that coin is that the Eagles could feel that with such a strong locker room in place, they can take a calculated risk on a guy with Plax’s level of talent.

Conclusion

Plaxico Burress was a great NFL wide receiver. Perhaps even top 10 in the league in his prime. If the Eagles think he’s willing to take on a smaller role, I see much more upside than downside. I’ve always sided on doing the calculated aggressive move over being over-cautious. In the end, it always comes down to money. If the money is reasonable, I think it’s an aggressive move worth pursuing.

Comment

http://igglesblitz.com/philadelphia-...-on-chad-hall/

Tommy Lawlor on Burress...

NY Daily News writer Gary Myers opened a can of worms over the weekend with some comments about the Eagles and WR Plaxico Burress. ”I’ve heard that the Eagles will eventually be first in line, but there’s also speculation the Steelers, Chargers, Falcons and Ravens could also be interested.

Gary is a solid NFL writer, but I’m not so sure about his connections to the Eagles. I’m betting this “info” came from Burress or someone in NY. I don’t know if that person believes the info or is just trying to drum up interest in Plaxico. Regardless, I’m not buying it.

Burress would come here to be the #3 or #4 WR. If we use him as #3, then is he working the slot or are we moving Jeremy Maclin in there? Mac didn’t come across as the most physical guy last year. I’m not thinking he’d aggressively embrace regularly working the slot. Would Burress?
        Our backup WRs play on STs. Jason Avant had 4 solo tackles last year. Riley Cooper had 3. Would we bring in a guy like Burress to be a role player, knowing he wouldn’t contribute on STs? Doesn’t make sense.

It would be nice to have Plaxico as a Red Zone target, but Reid has never fully embraced the fade pass. He said Donovan wasn’t real good at it, but I don’t recall our other 37 QBs throwing it much either. Reid would rather run the sprint right so the QB can have no one open and throw the ball into the 8th row. Seriously, isn’t that the worst RZ play in the NFL, at least as run by us?

I seriously doubt Plax is a target for the Eagles. Now, if this turns out to be true, it will be a sign that Reid is going all-in on the Eagles being a Super Bowl team in 2011. You don’t add Plax unless you expect to compete for a title or if you need a WR. We no longer need WRs.

Final note…back in 2005 when Plax left the Steelers and was a free agent, there were consistent rumors that the Eagles were interested. I have never confirmed from any of my sources if that was true or not. It makes you wonder if this is all Plax’s agent just stirring up the market, just like he might have been doing back then.

Comment

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...e-offense.html

Would Burress fit with the Eagles?

I covered the Plaxico Burress nugget yesterday, but after checking out your comments and hearing some different opinions on the matter, I thought I'd expand on my thoughts a little bit today.

In case you missed it, Gary Myers of the New York Daily News wrote that he's heard the Eagles will be "first in line" as a suitor for Burress when he's released from prison next month.

Let's take this point-by-point to determine whether such a move would make sense.

And if you're wondering whether we've reached a new low in lockout-induced writing, well, yes, we have. Butthis beats helmet power rankings, right?

Anyway...

Argument: The Eagles need red-zone help

My take: The Eagles' defense was historically bad in the red zone last year, but the offense was not. The Birds were in the middle of the pack (15th), scoring touchdowns on 52.83 percent of their red-zone chances (not including Week 17 against the Cowboys). Michael Vick was a weapon in the red zone. He threw 13 touchdowns and one interception, but maybe more importantly, ran for nine touchdowns. In other words, he was responsible for 22 red-zone scores.

Jeremy Maclin was the Eagles' best red-zone receiver (see next point), but the Birds have other options on their roster too. In 2009, Brent Celek had 10 catches for 86 yards and six touchdowns in the red zone. And LeSean McCoy ranked second in the NFL with 14 red-zone catches in 2010, accounting for six red-zone scores total (rushing and receiving combined).

Argument: The Eagles need size in the red zone

My take: As I mentioned, the Eagles' best red-zone receiver last season was Maclin. He had 11 catches for 104 yards and seven touchdowns inside the opponents' 20-yard line. Only eight players in the NFL had more red-zone catches than Maclin, who is listed at 6 feet, 198 pounds.
          Looking at the numbers league-wide, big receivers no longer dominate in the red zone. The top three wide receivers in terms of red-zone receptions last season were Danny Amendola (5-11), Wes Welker (5-9) and Lance Moore (5-9). That's not to say that height doesn't help. Guys like Marques Colston (6-4) were also effective, but it's not as big a factor as you might think.

Plus, don't forget about Riley Cooper. No one's arguing that he has the ceiling of Burress in his prime, but the Eagles spent a fifth-round pick on him and like Cooper's blend of size (6-3) and speed.

Argument: The situation resembles the Vick signing a couple years ago

My take: OK, this one has some merit. After the Eagles signed Vick, I stopped using phrases like There's no way... or I'd be shocked if... . In other words, I won't rule anything out with this franchise. They have become rather unpredictable in recent years.

When the Eagles signed Vick, they already had Donovan McNabb and Kevin Kolb at quarterback, so it's not as if they were filling a need. And they made sure to sign Vick to a two-year deal, knowing that he would likely need a year to re-adjust to the NFL. Burress is obviously not a quarterback, but he's never relied on his speed, and we see receivers in their 30s contributing to teams every year.

With that being said, I don't think the Eagles are going to make it their mission to sign every player who gets released from prison. The main factor is still if they think the player can help them win games.

Argument: Any time you can add a player like Burress, you have to explore the option

My take: That would probably be true if we were talking about the Burress that had 12 touchdown catches in 2007 or the Burress who piled up 1,214 yards in 2005. But we're talking about a Burress who was last on the field on Nov. 16, 2008. He'll turn 34 in August. If you figure he takes a year to get adjusted (maybe more considering the potential for limited practice time with the lockout), you're talking about a 35-year-old receiver by the time he's able to really contribute.

Also, while Burress certainly had a lot of success league-wide before going to jail, our view of him is probably a little inflated because of how much success he had against the Eagles. In eight games against the Birds (as a member of the Giants), Burress scored seven touchdowns and had four 100-yard games. The Eagles kept him out of the end zone just twice.

And finally...

I don't buy the idea that signing Burress would send a message to Jackson, who is entering the final year of his contract. Much of what the Eagles do offensively is based on Jackson's speed, and he's only 24 years old. The thought that Burress could somehow make Jackson expendable is just silly.

Comment

Per RotoWorld...

Both Brandon Jacobs and David Diehl have said publicly that they don't believe free agent Plaxico Burress will re-sign with the Giants.

Jacobs and Diehl both made their comments to NFL Network. Jacobs' reasoning wasn't clear, but Diehl hinted that there are still anti-Burress dynamics in the Giants' locker room. The Giants don't have a need at receiver, either. Teams that make sense for Plax include the Jets, Bucs, Bears, and Redskins.

Comment

More opinion on Burress in Green...

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2...laxico-burress

Why Would The Eagles Want Plaxico Burress?

Like everyone, I read the story in the New York Post claiming the Eagles would be "first in line" to sign Plaxico Burress once he gets out of jail. The writer claims that "he's heard" the Eagles would be interested, but offers very little in terms of corroboration aside from the circumstantial type that seems to be driving this whole story.

You see, the Eagles once signed a player straight out of prison and it worked out well. Somehow, doing this once has led everyone to assume that this will be a trend for the Eagles and they'll be interested in every convict or malcontent in the NFL. Never mind that their 2011 draft class was filled with the squeakiest clean, high character guys available. They literally picked a choir boy.

They also are rumored to have interest in Nnamdi Asomugha, who is widely seen as one of the most charitable and high character guys in the game.
              But because the Eagles signed Michael Vick, they must be interested in Plaxico Burress right? That's hard to see. First, let's see why they might want him and I don't think the fact that he's a reclamation project and the Eagles are some kind of charity is one. Michael Vick was a special case, not a rule.

He's an Eagle killer for one. The Giants haven't beat the Eagles since Burress was sent away. The Eagles always struggled with his size, particularly Sheldon Brown. That size is certainly something that the Eagles might have interest in as well. At 6-5 he would provide a big red zone target that the team doesn't have.

But the reasons why they might not have interest are a lot more compelling. For one, he's going to be 34. That might not be too old for a guy like Terrell Owens, who is a workout freak, but Burress was declining even before he went to prison. Then of course, the Eagles don't really have a need at WR. They've already got arguably the best young pair of starters the in the game. Jason Avant is a solid #3. They've got a promising young guy with size in Riley Cooper... There's no doubt that a guy like Burress in his prime would still be valuable here, but it's just tough to see where he'd fit at this moment.

Burress did something very stupid and dangerous but he paid dearly for it. If he can still play, he deserves another shot at the NFL... If prison does for him what it did for Michael Vick, that could be a great thing for his life, but I just don't see the reason why the Eagles would be the team "first in line" to sign him up.

That said, Michael Vick could see him in green.
              "I think with the guys we have now, I think we can fit him in and we can make it work," Vick told WIP. "Obviously the ultimate goal at the end of the day is to put that ring on your finger at the end of the year."

Comment

Per RotoWorld...

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's Ron Cook thinks it makes "perfect sense" for the Steelers to consider signing free agent Plaxico Burress this summer.

Burress will be released from jail this Friday, and then become an unrestricted free agent whenever the transactions freeze is lifted. At least going by the early buzz, it sounds like he will have a number of teams give him a look, but now 34 and nearly three years removed from football, it's far from a guarantee he'll end up generating much interest on the open market.

Comment

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-philadelphia/

Plax COULD (as in maybe) land in Philly (....and he could not!)

Comment

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/P...edskins-052611

Are Plaxico to Eagles rumors for real?

Updated May 29, 2011 12:22 PM ET
                    With veteran NFL wide receiver Plaxico Burress set to be released from jail on June 6, could he eventually sign with the Philadelphia Eagles as has been rumored? We’ll address his future and more in this week’s post-draft email bag.

Question: Are the Eagles really interested in Plaxico Burress? — Jerry M.

Answer: Jerry, yes, I believe the Eagles are interested in the veteran wide receiver — specifically head coach/executive vice president Andy Reid, who makes the personnel decisions.

What you’re referring to is an article recently from the New York Daily News which mentions the teams that could be interested in Burress. The article also states that the Eagles will be the first in line to check him out once he’s released from jail.

From talking to personnel sources recently, one told me that Reid has always been impressed with Burress’ ability to beat coverage with his size and that he expects the Eagles to make a run at him once free agency starts.

And you can understand why the Eagles would be interested in Burress once you look at his history against them. The tall receiver tormented Eagles defensive backs over the years.

In his eight games (including one playoff game) against the Eagles as a New York Giant (2005-200, Burress posted 37 receptions, 650 yards and seven touchdowns (He has scored in each of his past four games against them). And five of those touchdowns came inside the red zone — where the Eagles struggled a bit scoring touchdowns via the air last season.

While the Eagles have decent depth at wide receiver, they finished 14th overall in touchdowns per red zone appearance in 2010 (according to Football Outsiders). Breaking the numbers down further, the Eagles’ top-five passing targets at wide receiver and tight end finished with 12 total red zone touchdowns (Jeremy Maclin: seven touchdowns on 17 passes; Brent Celek: two touchdowns on 12 passes; DeSean Jackson: one touchdown on 12 passes; Jason Avant: one touchdown on 17 targets; Riley Cooper: one touchdown on seven passes) on 65 total passes — an 18.5 touchdown conversion percentage.

As for his incarceration over the past two years, jail can humble a person — just ask Michael Vick. Burress knows, as Vick did when he was released from jail, that he’ll be on his last chance to prove himself.
                    At 34 (he turns that age on Aug. 12), Burress will have to show he can still play at a high level, considering he hasn’t played since the 2008 season.

He’ll have to work out for teams in order to show what kind of shape he’s in. Vick did not work out for the Eagles prior to his signing, but I can’t imagine them or any team taking that approach with a player from a speed position such as wide receiver.

I spoke to a high-level AFC decision-maker recently who said that Burress will likely yield a heavily incentive-based contract where he can make a lot more money based on productivity — meaning if he stays out of trouble and plays well, he stands to make a lot more money.

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2...laxico-burress

"Personnel sources" expect the Eagles to make a run at Plaxico Burress

Initially, NY Daily News writer Gary Myers wrote that the Eagles will be "first in line" to sign Plaxico Burress when teams have the ability to do so. It was unclear whether or not Myers was just purely speculating on the Eagles interest, or if he actually was privy to some inside information. Well, this story just grew some stronger legs now that Adam Caplan has joined in. Per Caplan:
                    From talking to personnel sources recently, one told me that Reid has always been impressed with Burress’ ability to beat coverage with his size and that he expects the Eagles to make a run at him once free agency starts.
                    Caplan also threw out some interesting Eagles red zone stats:
                    While the Eagles have decent depth at wide receiver, they finished 14th overall in touchdowns per red zone appearance in 2010 (according to Football Outsiders). Breaking the numbers down further, the Eagles’ top-five passing targets at wide receiver and tight end finished with 12 total red zone touchdowns (Jeremy Maclin: seven touchdowns on 17 passes; Brent Celek: two touchdowns on 12 passes; DeSean Jackson: one touchdown on 12 passes; Jason Avant: one touchdown on 17 targets; Riley Cooper: one touchdown on seven passes) on 65 total passes — an 18.5 touchdown conversion percentage.
                    As for the cost:
                    I spoke to a high-level AFC decision-maker recently who said that Burress will likely yield a heavily incentive-based contract where he can make a lot more money based on productivity — meaning if he stays out of trouble and plays well, he stands to make a lot more money.
                    A week ago I weighed the pros and cons of bringing Plaxico Burress into the fold, and am already on the record as being all for this move, as long as the money is reasonable. I think it's time to put this to a vote.

Comment

I'm not real eager to sign him,unless we sign him,cripple him in practice and never see or hear about his abilities vs the Eagles again. This works for me.
                      We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
                        I'm not real eager to sign him,unless we sign him,cripple him in practice and never see or hear about his abilities vs the Eagles again. This works for me.

Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                        Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

I don't care who they sign as long as it leads to a SB victory. Vick is my most hated athlete. If I can deal with him on the Eagles I can deal with anyone.
                          FRESH > cancer

I hate everything the Cowboys stand for. If you think they are America's team, then you support everything that is wrong with America. The excess, the greed, the lack of maturity, the lack of responsibility, the lack of control. - Luzinski's Gut

Comment

http://phillysportsdaily.com/eagles/...se-for-eagles/

Miller: Signing Plaxico Burress Makes No Sense For Eagles
                            In the wildest dreams of Eagles fans and of executives at HBO, the Eagles will sign Plaxico Burress as soon as he’s released from prison and will agree to be featured on HBO’s NFL reality show “Hard Knocks.”

We can all agree that it would be awesome viewing for fans, create tremendous story lines for columnists and talk radio hosts, and raise Eagle hysteria back to Defcon 5, i.e., T.O. level.

You can see it now. The HBO cameras whirring as Michael Vick and Plaxico provide running commentary while they watch” Shawshank Redemption.” Plax talks weaponry with hunters Kevin Kolb and Trent Cole. Andy Reid tries to shed a few pounds, Plax tries to put ‘em on.

It would be great for everybody — except for Burress and the Eagles. For the soon-to-be-ex-inmate and socially responsible local football team, it’d be close to a disaster. And that’s why none of it will happen.

The New York Daily News theorized over the weekend that the Eagles might be a prime landing spot for Burress, who’s due to be released from prison on June 6.

As you know, Burress has spent the last two years in jail after a very stupid incident in which he shot himself in the leg. And as you also know, he’s killed the Eagles over the years, so much so that once upon a time (actually, twice upon a time), they employed Hank Baskett as a poor man’s Plax.

Burress is a weapon that many teams would love to have. But the newspaper report’s rationale is pretty shaky — there doesn’t appear to be any reporting at all, just speculation that since they signed someone out of jail once before, they know how to make it work and they’ll do it again. But they also saw first-hand what a waste that first year was – fresh out of a year and a half at Leavenworth, Vick was a shadow of his former self; apparently, spending a couple years in an 8-by-10 cell is not a good way to stay in prime shape. And it’s not exactly health food they’re serving in there.

Burress, who’s 33-years-old, has reportedly lost 20 pounds since being sent up the river. The odds are heavily stacked against him being even close to productive in 2011 season, thanks to the combo of being locked up and locked out. He simply isn’t going to be in any semblance of football shape.

For Burress, he’d be compared play in and play out to Vick, and he would pale in comparison. For the Eagles, not only would Burress’ football contribution likely be minimal, but they’d be painting themselves into an odd position – they’d be portrayed as the NFL’s halfway house. They caught enough grief for signing Vick out of prison. If they signed Burress, they’d be revisiting all that turmoil. Nobody needs that big of a soap opera.

And “Hard Knocks”? The HBO show turned Rex Ryan and the Jets into a summer sensation. Fans across the country ate it up. And now, no team in the NFL wants to do it. The Jets say they won’t do it again. The Buccaneers have passed. The Falcons thought about it, but demurred. The Cowboys have said they’ll never do it again.

Nobody wants the spotlight, even a fun-loving guy like New York’s King Rex. Certainly, Andy Reid controls everything around his football team, and is never going to give up the level of control needed for the Eagles to participate.

As far as we know, the Eagles have never considered appearing on the show, but they are one of the league’s marquee teams with the lightning rod that is Vick, so you know HBO has asked, or will ask. But the answer will be “no.”

Which will be a shame when we’re all looking for some summer viewing. But it might be a good thing for the Eagles ‘round about playoff time.

Comment

It makes sense from the point of view that when Plax went away he was arguably the best in the league at doing what was by far the Eagles biggest offensive weakness the past few years.
                              Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

Originally posted by leifdawg View Post
                                It makes sense from the point of view that when Plax went away he was arguably the best in the league at doing what was by far the Eagles biggest offensive weakness the past few years.
                                Exactly. They need a difference maker in the redzone passing game.

Comment

Working...
                                X