I think that there's no doubt that we keep Peters-Gowton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think that there's no doubt that we keep Peters-Gowton

Peters is set to be the 17th highest paid offensive tackle in 2019. That’s not crazily out of whack relative to his performance. Peters ranked 35th out of 85 offensive tackles graded by Pro Football Focus in 2018. He’s clearly not the player he once was but he’s still much better than the alternative, which involves starting Halapoulivaati Vaitai, who ranked 78th.

Perhaps the Eagles feel differently, but the feeling here is that Vaitai isn’t as much of a “left tackle of the future” as he is an ideal swing tackle behind the two starters. Vaitai has obviously proven to be serviceable at times while filling in for Peters but I’m not crazy about the idea of settling at the spot that’ll be protecting Carson Wentz’s blindside.

As for Jordan Mailata, I don’t think the Eagles should really count on him as a sure thing. We’d all love for Mailata to turn into a stud left tackle, and maybe he can, but banking on that to happen seems misguided. The Eagles should prepare for the possibility that the Australian sensation doesn’t work out. He’s a total wild card.

And so I don’t think it’d be the worst idea for the Eagles to draft a potential long-term replacement for Peters in the first round. Standing at 6-5, 325 pounds, Little is certainly no small man for Jeff Stoutland to develop.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

While Mailata may not be the answer at LT this year. I do think it is important to get him dressed and into games this year somewhere on the line. He also would be an interesting back on 3rd and short.

Comment

Peters was getting better at the end of the season, so throw that ranking out. He will be cheap as LTs go. If he comes back strong, in shape and over the injury, he is as good an option as you can get . Mailatta gets time to develop, and we drive on. too much change up front can cause problems.
      We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
        Peters was getting better at the end of the season, so throw that ranking out. He will be cheap as LTs go. If he comes back strong, in shape and over the injury, he is as good an option as you can get . Mailatta gets time to develop, and we drive on. too much change up front can cause problems.
        I think so too MM and probably has a couple of years left in him. The ONLY thing that I don't like about him is that he's all about money when it comes to contracts. Of course people wanted him out of here 6 years ago so he was really pisssed off about that. I remember him answering a reporter about getting released or taking a pay cut and he said "I'm the best guy they have" and just laughed and he was right!

Comment

All of that is easy to say until he plays 1/4 and then sits out. Then comes back for one game but sits out the next. I'm not saying that is going to happen. However, the birds need contingency plans which I think they have. Lane can play left although that might not be the best bet. V is serviceable if needed and they have Big M to look at. But I am all for drafting a bruiser that can play guard now if needed but has a future at tackle. The right side is safe with Brooks/Johnson. The left is questionable with Peters and Wis or Semalu or whoever. Maybe Pryor but we don't know that. If I am addressing the OL in the draft it is with that in mind
          Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
          Hope is not a strategy
          RIP

Comment

I'm ok with drafting a LT or 2 if the fall in line with BPA, I just don't want to see some big FA signing, when we move on from JP, I would rather it be a small contract till the rest of the cap settles in. I really hope Mailata is the answer.
            We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
              All of that is easy to say until he plays 1/4 and then sits out. Then comes back for one game but sits out the next.
              This is the problem. I think Peters will be back next year, but he's simply getting old, banged up, and a lot less reliable. I don't think there's much chance of him playing a full season without missing a significant number of snaps.

Comment

I don't remember his injuries being age related but I could be wrong there. When somebody falls on your ankle you're going to get hurt now matter how old that you are. The achilles tendon injury probably was wear and tear but then again younger players get those too. A lot of O lineman play into their late 30's and Peters is kind of an athletic freak so I think that he'll be good. I don't care who they draft but I want to get a stud RB somehow.

Comment

[QUOTE=Eagle60;332543]I don't care who they draft but I want to get a stud RB somehow.

Agreed. They need someone far better than what they had this season. I keep reading Snell from Kentucky. That’s fine. I’d also like Ingram from NO. Probably a dream, he will command more than we can afford.

Comment

I don't think they go after Ingram. Too expensive given their cap situation.

Comment

Working...
                    X