Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3 biggest question marks for 2007 roster...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 biggest question marks for 2007 roster...

I'm crossposting this from my reply on the other board's "holes" thread, thought it would be interesting to guage where people are at here:

My three biggest question marks right now are

a) Second WR. Does Curtis step up and provide what Stallworth did in his layover here? Does Baskett emerge as a good threat and not a nice UDFA story? Is Avant a contributor?

b) DT. I'm pretty confident that among Cole, Kearse, Howard, Thomas we're stacked at DE and anything we get from McDooDoo and Abirimimimi is gravy. But I need to see significant improvement from Patterson and Bunkley to know they are going to be our starting DT tandem for the next 6 years. I think Ramsay and Raegor will be nice subs, but we need good strong reps from those two first rounders going forward.

c) LB. Only because we have such an interesting cast and turnover at this spot going into 2007. Spikes and Trotter need to stay healthy. Gocong and Gaither need to emerge as real threats. I'd love to see Bradley step in and contribute his rookie year. This could be a GREAT force on the team if everyone stays healthy and steps up, but we've seen enough disappointments at this spot to err on the side of pessimism.

We're fine at secondary; Considine will be better, no more Lewis blowing coverages on top WRs, Mikell is a great backup, and this team has an excellent track record on developing scrub CBs like Hanson, James, and Hood into serviceable players.

Arch - I don't see things completely the same way.

I think Curtis is more than suitable to step up as the #2 WR in this offense and let Baskett and a more seasoned Avant battle it out for the #3.

DT - Bunkley is the real "x" factor there. If he delivers like we hope, there isn't a real ? mark there. Only time will tell.

LB - is a definite questions.

Secondary - I'd suggest that safety is indeed a question mark. Until Considine shows he has the muscle to maintain a solid level of play over the course of the year, I'm not completely sold. I'm also leary of age catching up with Dawkins and I like Mikell but still don't know that he can be an every down contributor if called upon to do so. I'm concerned at safety.

I'd say TE is a bit of a question mark. LJ is in his last year and has some lingering back/neck issues that could be an issue as his longevity in the league continues. Is Schobel a suitable replacement if he goes down? Not sure I can say "yes" confidently.

Comment

my biggest questions are:

1. McNabb's knee.
      2. McNabb's knee.
      3. Secondary.

I think they're in good shape everywhere else. but one or two secondary injuries and they're scrambling back there.
      Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Call me arrogant, because I believe that Andy Reid was right to draft the best player on the board, even a QB. I say that because I don't see any starter on this team as a weakness, except SAM. And we will have two recent draft picks battling it out for that spot, so it is not like he ignored the only weakness. If they are not capable of handling the job, however, we just slide Spikes over there. Then we use McCoy or Gaithers at Will. So, even though the development of our three young SAMs is a key for the only hole on the defense, it can be fixed because of the depth at the other two positions.

I am not worried about McNabb's knees, because a QB doesn't have to do the same things as WR's and RB,s yet they come back from these injuries. The only issue I have with his knees is the same as Bucky's...it happened too easily....and without it being hit. That makes me nervous.

Byunkley has the physical tools, he just has to get his head together and be ready by camp. He showed on the goal line stances that he can collapse a pocket, but he has to stick to his assignments. I think he will be ready mentally by the start of his second season.

Our secondary is thin, so I will be crossing fingers again that they stay healthy, but they do have at least one capable backup. Here is where the draft picks have to come through, but I don't see a lot of reason to expect much from at least one of them.

Our lines are both stacked and running back is now a position of strength. Hunt can serve as an emergency replacement for Tapeh and H 5-O should be a step up from Mahe and Moats, once he learns the system.

INjuries can hurt any team, but I think we have enough depth to only be hurting if two go down in the secondary or TE.
        Pedro

Comment

I dunno, I'm not sure what question we are answering here.....

Holes and question marks are 2 different things.

Question marks? Sure we have a ton of them EVERY year, as does every team

My biggest question marks have to be DL as #1, they must play better and they have addressed the issue, but until games the questions will still be there, and I agree with who ever it was that said Bunkley is the biggest question mark there.

As #2 - I gotta agree that until I see DM move and play well, right now that is still a question mark.

And of course #3, in my book, has got to be LB, many changes going to play out there got to question the final product and improvement there till we see it play out.

Now if we are talking holes, as the team is structured right now, the only "holes" I see may be in DB depth and LB starting quality and depth.

Comment

I agree on the "holes" vs. "question marks" distinction...but as we know "holes" gotta eat too! (Lazy Hollywood Shuffle reference)

In regards to question marks, we have quite a few:

QB: McNabb coming off knee injury, hopefully will be fully back by TC and rolling.

LB: Spikes, Trot, Gocong, McCoy, Bradley...lots of known unknowns here as Rumsfeld would say.

CB: James and Hanson...pretty comfortable with James, but we need more depth.

DE: Howard, Kearse coming off injuries, Abiamiri as a rook, J-Mac's future?

DT: Bunkley baby...we need ya. Ramsey and Rayburn?

As for holes, I see right now:

SS: I still do not see a real SS on this team...Considine deserves more time, but he is a FS IMO and I am not sure Mikell could play full time at SS. Gaddis? UDFA? Vet cut?

TE: I still do not see a backup TE on this team. Schobel has some skillz, but it is in duplication of LJ's and does not include blocking from what I saw last year...Bartrum is waving goodbye so who will...

LS: Who is filling this role?
            Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

I started the Holes thread over on the other board (Sorry for some reason with my new job I can't access sportscolumn during the day)

I think the only real HOLE as defined above is the run stuffing tackle position. I don't see anyone on the roster who can fill that void.

Question sure there are plenty of questions

1. Can McNabb and Kearse come back 100% from injury
              2. Can GoCong and Bradley man the SLB spot
              3. Is Trotter done?
              4. Is Considine good enough to play Strong Safety
              5. Are we deep enough at Corner considering the injury history of Lito and James
              6. Is Hunt good enough to play the big back role (I think he is but)
              7. Is Howard done?
              8. Is Bunkley good enough to be a starter in this league
              9. Are Johnson or the Austrian Punter enough at Punter?
              Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Is Moss going to keep out of trouble?
                Will Moss take plays off?
                Will Moss make other players mad?
                Will Stallworth have hammy problems?
                Will Stallworth drop more game clinching passes to the Giants?
                Will the offensive line protect Brady?
                Will Moss tell the O-line, "Whoever just got our QB killed, you just step it up on this drive, or else," after not blocking on four straight run plays?
                Will their new playes learn the system?

Wait, they are the preseaons favorite, and I jsut ran off REAL questions on only a couple players. So, what do all these questions really mean?
                Pedro

Comment

"I think the only real HOLE as defined above is the run stuffing tackle position. I don't see anyone on the roster who can fill that void."

But is it a hole? I mean JJ and AR have had plenty of chances over the years to get a Sam Adams type in here and they don't do it, hell they even had a semi run stuffer in Holis and got rid of him. Just not the way that D is made, so I'm not sure it's fair calling it a hole.

If any of that makes any sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro
                    Is Moss going to keep out of trouble?
                    Will Moss take plays off?
                    Will Moss make other players mad?
                    Will Stallworth have hammy problems?
                    Will Stallworth drop more game clinching passes to the Giants?
                    Will the offensive line protect Brady?
                    Will Moss tell the O-line, "Whoever just got our QB killed, you just step it up on this drive, or else," after not blocking on four straight run plays?
                    Will their new playes learn the system?

Wait, they are the preseaons favorite, and I jsut ran off REAL questions on only a couple players. So, what do all these questions really mean?
                    Pdero, You know I got your back bud, so don't take this the wrong way......

I know and see your point but nobody here was trying to suggest that not all teams have holes or questions, we were merely listing those questions that we as fans have about OUR team, as sort pof a way to gauge how we see our team for 2007 , at this point, and what we might look for on an ongoing basis.

BTW-- gotta get you up here for TC this year!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro
                      Call me arrogant, because I believe that Andy Reid was right to draft the best player on the board, even a QB. I say that because I don't see any starter on this team as a weakness, except SAM. And we will have two recent draft picks battling it out for that spot, so it is not like he ignored the only weakness. If they are not capable of handling the job, however, we just slide Spikes over there. Then we use McCoy or Gaithers at Will. So, even though the development of our three young SAMs is a key for the only hole on the defense, it can be fixed because of the depth at the other two positions.

I am not worried about McNabb's knees, because a QB doesn't have to do the same things as WR's and RB,s yet they come back from these injuries. The only issue I have with his knees is the same as Bucky's...it happened too easily....and without it being hit. That makes me nervous.

Byunkley has the physical tools, he just has to get his head together and be ready by camp. He showed on the goal line stances that he can collapse a pocket, but he has to stick to his assignments. I think he will be ready mentally by the start of his second season.

Our secondary is thin, so I will be crossing fingers again that they stay healthy, but they do have at least one capable backup. Here is where the draft picks have to come through, but I don't see a lot of reason to expect much from at least one of them.

Our lines are both stacked and running back is now a position of strength. Hunt can serve as an emergency replacement for Tapeh and H 5-O should be a step up from Mahe and Moats, once he learns the system.

INjuries can hurt any team, but I think we have enough depth to only be hurting if two go down in the secondary or TE.
                      Call you arrogant? PLEASE! You're being much to hard on yourself.
                      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

I've got LOTS of questions about the roster. Starting with the LBs and how that all shakes out. Is Trot gonna rebound and hold onto his spot? How is Spikes going to fill in here? Hello Gokong! I wanna see what this kid has. Gaither needs to continue to develop, get stonger and show versatility.

At RB, we have got some real interesting questons to answer, both for the tailback and FB spots. Some new talent to judge and see who fits, and who walks. It's crowded there right now.

WR.....ummm, yeah. Lets just say I have questions there.

And you say we are set at DE? I'm not so sure. I want to see how Kearse comes back and how Howard responds to a subpar season. I fear both of these guys may look good early, only to weard down, break down as the season progresses.

And of course I want to see what our new DBs have. I can't wait for training camp to start.
                        http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Most teams would kill to have Howard-Kearse-Cole-Thomas as a DE rotation. Those guys need to stay healthy and play hard, but that is NOT a questionable spot of the team, especially compared to the DTs who have much more to prove with far less able backup.

Comment

Originally posted by 2nd and Arch
                            Most teams would kill to have Howard-Kearse-Cole-Thomas as a DE rotation. Those guys need to stay healthy and play hard, but that is NOT a questionable spot of the team, especially compared to the DTs who have much more to prove with far less able backup.
                            Disagree a bit Arch,, it is a question mark(IMM anyhow) because 50% of those guys you just mentioned have health questions that need to be answered, and we saw last year, when they couldn't rotate like they wanted too, how badly that affected the entire D.

I would agree with you if Kearse and Howard both are 100% healthy, I don't fear their talent lose as long as they are healthy!

Comment

PUNTER! i want the crazy australian to beat out dirk.
                              socratee.spreadshirt.com

Comment

Working...
                              X