Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OC Insight, Lombardi comment and Detroit woes

I stole this post from another message board:

Check out MMQB that gives us some insight into some of what Pederson's OC do. Note how Groh is apparently involved in these things but Duce isn't.
    “For me,” Pederson said, “this story is simple. I hired these coaches for a reason. I hired Frank as my OC for a reason. This is a collaborative effort. It has never been about one guy, one coach, one player. This is a daunting task for one guy. It's way too much. I trust these guys to study the tape like they do, and Frank gives out the assignments during the week. Guys know their lanes, they stay in their lanes. If a play fits our personality, offensively, we will try to get it in the game plan somewhere. It’s a credit to our coaches, all of them, that they found the little gems all season.”

“When someone trusts you, that's the greatest motivator there is,” said Reich. “When you have a head coach who really makes it collaborative, then it motivates guys to work harder, to look longer and look at every third down that the Patriots ran this year. If it is just coach and I doing that whole thing, maybe that play makes it in, maybe it doesn't. I don't know. Maybe we would have saw it, maybe we wouldn't have. We'll never know. One of the MO’s of our team the whole year was being unselfish. This was us. I firmly believe that's why we won the Super Bowl, because it was about us as a team. That starts from the top.”

Then, this:
    “THIS OFFSEASON, SOME CLOWN NAMED MIKE LOMBARDI TOLD HIM HE WAS THE LEAST QUALIFIED COACH IN THE NFL!!!!!!!!!”

—Eagles center Jason Kelce, stealing the show at the Eagles’ victory parade, defending head coach Doug Pederson by shouting at the top of his lungs at the critics who belittled the Eagles throughout the 2017 season.

Lombardi, a long-time NFL scout who now works for The Ringer, actually said this on Sept. 3: “Everybody knows Pederson isn’t a head coach. He might be less-qualified to coach a team than anyone I’ve seen in my 30-plus years in the NFL.”

A post-tirade Lombardi tweet:
    Michael Lombardi

@mlombardiNFL
    Look, I deserve what Kelce said, I was wrong and he is right.

3:00 PM - Feb 8, 2018

And, finally, the "ouch" that makes us feel better pre-LII
    This is the task new Lions coach Matt Patricia faces in making the Lions a January threat, like the team he’s just left in New England:

• Detroit has played two home playoff games in the past 60 seasons.

• I was six months old when the Lions won their last NFL title, in 1957. Since then, they’ve won one playoff game.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

"Since then, they’ve won one playoff game."

Wow. That is insane. I knew they have not been in a Super Bowl. But, only 1 single playoff win in 60 years ?

Comment

Boston lists a lot of scenerios

Brandon Lee Gowton:

The Philadelphia Eagles will have a new offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach in 2018.
      Former Eagles OC Frank Reich is now the new head coach of the Indianapolis Colts. Former Eagles QB coach John DeFilippo is now the new offensive coordinator of the Minnesota Vikings.
      Given their Super Bowl success in Philadelphia, Reich and Flip were bound to leave eventually. That’s just the nature of the business. Here’s wishing them well ... except when they facing the Eagles, of course.
      Now that Reich and Flip are gone, who will the Eagles hire to replace them? Let’s take a look at some of their options.
      EAGLES OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR JOB
      INTERNAL OPTION: DUCE STALEY

The early buzz is that the Eagles could promote running backs coach Duce Staley to Reich’s old post.
      This wouldn’t come as a surprise since the Eagles value Staley. He survived both Andy Reid’s firing in 2012 and Chip Kelly’s firing in 2015 to remain on Philadelphia’s coaching staff. The Eagles actually gave Staley an interview for their head coaching vacancy before hiring Doug Pederson in 2016.
      Staley played in Philadelphia from 1997 through 2003 before finishing his playing career with the Steelers from 2004 through 2006. Then he first joined the Eagles’ coaching staff as a special teams quality control coach in 2011. In 2013, he was promoted to his current position of running backs coach.
      Staley doesn’t have a TON of experience but it’s not like the Eagles are counting on him to call plays. That’s Pederson’s responsibility.
      Another benefit of promoting Staley is that it prevents the Giants from hiring him as their OC. Pat Shurmur still needs to fill that position in New York.
      EXTERNAL OPTIONS: MIKE SHULA, JIM CALDWELL, DARRELL BEVELL, BEN MCADOO
      Shula and Bevell were fired from their offensive coordinator jobs with the Panthers and Seahawks, respectively, this offseason. Caldwell and McAdoo are former offensive coordinators who were fired from their head coach jobs in 2017.
      These retreads offer more experience than Staley. And the Eagles have connections to all of them. Shula was an assistant to his father, Don, when Pederson was on the Dolphins’ roster in 1992. Caldwell coached the Ravens’ quarterbacks and became offensive coordinator when Joe Douglas was still in Baltimore from 2012 through 2013. Pederson was on the Packers’ roster when Bevell was a quarerbacks coach in Green Bay. And McAdoo was reportedly the Eagles’ preference over Pederson before he decided to stay in New York (thank God).
      If the Eagles feel like Staley isn’t ready for the OC job, they could consider these outside options. I’d think Staley has a better shot than these guys do, though.
      EAGLES QUARTERBACKS COACH JOB
      INTERNAL OPTION: MIKE GROH

On Friday, Jeff McLane tweeted: “Expect the Eagles to move WRs coach Mike Groh to QBs coach.” So there’s already talk this could happen.
      The move would make sense because Groh has experience with the quarterback position. He played QB in college and then served as Virginia’s quarterbacks coach from 2003 through 2005. He also served as Louisville’s quarterbacks coach in 2010. In 2016, Groh’s title with the Los Angeles Rams was “wide receivers coach and passing game coordinator.”
      Groh seemed to do a good job with the Eagles’ wide receivers in 2017. Just look at Nelson Agholor’s turnaround. The sense on the team is that 46-year-old is a good coach. A promotion could be in store.
      EXTERNAL OPTIONS: MIKE SHULA, JIM CALDWELL, DARRELL BEVELL, BEN MCADOO
      These are the same outside names I listed for the Eagles’ offensive coordinator job. These guys might feel like a QB coach job is below them, but hey, working with Carson Wentz could be a great way to rehab their coaching stock.
      REPLACING THE REPLACEMENTS
      Staley moving to offensive coordinator would leave a vacancy at running backs coach. Maybe the team would move assistant offensive line/tight ends/run game coach Eugene Chung to that spot if he wants it? An interesting outside hire to consider could be Wilbert Montgomery. The former Eagles all-time leading rusher was a running backs coach in the NFL from 1997 through 2015. He overlapped with Joe Douglas in Baltimore from 2008 through 2013. At 63 years old, Montgomery might be done coaching in the NFL.
      The early scuttlebutt is that offensive quality control/assistant quarterbacks coach Press Taylor could replace Groh at wide receivers coach. Taylor turned 30 years old in January, so he’s pretty young. He’s never formally worked with receivers since first getting into coaching back in 2011.
      One under-the-radar name on Philadelphia’s staff to keep an eye on is Trent Miles. Shortly before the 2017 season, the Eagles hired him to work with quarterbacks . His official title is listed as “coaching assistant.” Maybe he’s in the mix for the QB job? Maybe he replaces Groh or Taylor’s vacant spot? Miles does have a wide receiver background. Something to watch.
      PREFERENCE
      So what SHOULD the Eagles do? I think promoting Staley and Groh is fine, although I think Shula or Caldwell could be interesting options for QB coach. At wide receiver coach, I’d prefer the Eagles to go with someone a little more experienced than Taylor. But if they feel strongly about him, great. I just worry that the Eagles could be valuing their own guys a little too much. Some outside perspective could be nice. Bringing in Montgomery to replace Duce would be cool, although I don’t know how realistic that is.
      HOW MUCH DOES LOSING REICH AND FLIP MATTER?
      It definitely matters. They certainly contributed to the success of the overall offense and the individual success of 2017 MVP candidate Carson Wentz and Super Bowl MVP Nick Foles.
      With that said, the Eagles still have Wentz in place. He’s a stud in his own right. And the Eagles still have Big Balls Doug calling the plays. That’s encouraging.
      It’s boring to say we won’t know the true impact of losing Reich and Flip until we see it in 2018, but it’s true. For now, the Eagles will do their best to fill their vacancies. As I’ve said numerous times by now, this organization deserves some benefit of the doubt based on their ability to hire good assistants in the first place.

Comment

I am still angry at Darrel Bevel. I don’t want him fucking up the Eagles.

Comment

Originally posted by sfphillyfan View Post
          I am still angry at Darrel Bevel. I don’t want him fucking up the Eagles.
          There whole offense was giving the ball to Beast Mode. Then at crunch time..................No thanks.

Comment

Coaches are replaceable; that is just a way of life. The thing that is tough to do is get guys who bring similar perspectives to the coaches meeting. I know Doug calls the plays but the plays are brought in by the coaching staff. I'm hoping he can find guys who 1. are diligent in studying plays around the league and 2. are willing to fill the gameplan with some creativity.
            Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
            Hope is not a strategy
            RIP

Comment

Personally I would prefer someone with a maybe "newer" set of ideas. Maybe some younger asst, who connects with the "guys", and can bring some innovative ideas.... not Chip Kelly new.... but maybe some "wrinkles".

Not sure about Duce, I love the guy--- ever since college at USC--- but I am not sure he brings anything new.

Comment

So we now know that Press Taylor will take over as QB coach, and rumors are that Groh not Staley will become the offensive coordinator. That would mean yet another new WR coach.
                Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
                  So we now know that Press Taylor will take over as QB coach, and rumors are that Groh not Staley will become the offensive coordinator. That would mean yet another new WR coach.
                  When I heard Press Taylor as QB coach, immediately thought of Groh as OC, after reading the MMQB piece today where Groh was involved in creating plays along with Pederson and Reich (and maybe some of the others). But it was Groh who was primarily responsible for getting the Ertz TD play into the playbook for the game.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
                    Personally I would prefer someone with a maybe "newer" set of ideas. Maybe some younger asst, who connects with the "guys", and can bring some innovative ideas.... not Chip Kelly new.... but maybe some "wrinkles".

Not sure about Duce, I love the guy--- ever since college at USC--- but I am not sure he brings anything new.
                    I'll go along with that. New ideas are good and Duce seems to be pretty much a position coach. He did a great job last year! The running back's blocking improved so much during the year in pass protection and also in the trap game. In the beginning of the year traps were all in the O line but they were executed great in the SB by the backs. Clements got better and better every week too. Duce gets a lot of credit for our success this season. I think that going to OC is way too much of a leap for him though.

Comment

Yeah the temptation is to stay in house, just human nature, and i just think you need to fight that just a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
                        Coaches are replaceable; that is just a way of life. The thing that is tough to do is get guys who bring similar perspectives to the coaches meeting. I know Doug calls the plays but the plays are brought in by the coaching staff. I'm hoping he can find guys who 1. are diligent in studying plays around the league and 2. are willing to fill the gameplan with some creativity.
                        Replacing coaches may be a way of life, but replacing good ones ain't so easy ND. Look what happened when we got rid of Lewis and brought in Groh. Night and day. You listed the right qualities to look for though.

Comment

Well 60 if you have followed me over they years you'll know I have always advocated coaching. Called Lewis the possible problem with WRs long before his departure. I agree replacing them isn't easy but any HC worth his salt has to be able to identify coaching talent around the league and can't hesitate to hire the best guy; not his best buddy.
                          A long time ago as I was moving up the working ladder a guy told me that I should always be training my replacement. That way you always have people good enough to fall back on
                          Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                          Hope is not a strategy
                          RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
                            Well 60 if you have followed me over they years you'll know I have always advocated coaching. Called Lewis the possible problem with WRs long before his departure. I agree replacing them isn't easy but any HC worth his salt has to be able to identify coaching talent around the league and can't hesitate to hire the best guy; not his best buddy.
                            A long time ago as I was moving up the working ladder a guy told me that I should always be training my replacement. That way you always have people good enough to fall back on
                            Gotcha ND. Was there an assistant to Groh? I think the guy really has talent. I remember MD always bitching about our wrs coaching as far back as I can remember too. I also remember Aggied spent the first week of camp working on his stance!! That's detail man.

Comment

Frankly, up until this year our WR Corp always lacked 1 thing or another , every year Back to AR.

This year was an improvement, in route running , hand catching, blocking and especially I think in learning how to get off the lines better. Also the talent level has improved over all.

Now we just have to keep it going.

Comment

Working...
                              X