Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Random Thread (when you just don't feel like starting a thread)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've had enough of this winter snow bullshit....

http://66.175.76.125/view/viewer_index.shtml?id=7556
    Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
    Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

• Originally posted by Jukin View Post
      I've had enough of this winter snow bullshit....

http://66.175.76.125/view/viewer_index.shtml?id=7556
      Headin out on a 10 day cruise on the 18th, don't think it will be anywhere near freezing on St. Thomas or St. Marteen.

Comment

• One of my Fraternity Brothers died suddenly yesterday leaving behind a wonderful wife (who was diagnosed with terminal cancer a few years ago) and 3 children. I'll have a heavy heart for a long time. Lee and Carla are two of the most wonderful people you are ever likely to meet. They have had more than their share of bad luck and awful news and through it all their strength and faith in God never wavered. Facing her second battle with cancer (the first was colon cancer, this time it's pancreatic cancer) Carla is a never ending face of happiness and joy in everything she does. When the Doctor told her that she would be lucky to make it another 5 years, her response was, "You're telling me! Have you seen the way I drive?!?!" Lee was equally joyous even though he knew their lives would be centered around medical exams and treatment cycles.

He was from Charlotte and became a Redskins fan at a young age - because at the time it was Washington or Atlanta as the nearest team. He stayed loyal to the Skins through thick and thin even after Charlotte got their own team and Lee and Carla moved to Tennessee.

His birthday was last Monday and as luck would have it he came to Philly for a few days. We tried to get together for a beer but it didn't happen. He got the flu on Tuesday and his flight was canceled since it passed through Atlanta following that snow storm. He managed to get a flight to Raleigh but was too sick to rent a car for the drive to Bristol. Carla spoke to him Wednesday night and said he sounded pitiful. The hotel staff found Lee dead in his room yesterday afternoon.

If I've learned anything from Lee and Carla over the years, it's to take a moment to appreciate the things you have in your life. Forget about focusing on tomorrow or spending too much time reveling in past memories. Your life is truly a series of moments of NOW. Step back from your mind and appreciate this moment. Enjoy the comfort of your family, the laugh of your children the joy of your friends. Thanks for helping me learn that Lee. May your family find comfort in the spirit that you lived in. Rest in peace my friend!

Comment

• Gosh, thats really sad Juk, I'm sorry to hear. It sure makes you count your blessings......

Comment

• Jukin,

That's really, really sad. We would all do well by living more in the 'now'. Our bother Fresh has set a good example for us all in that respect.

It's not clear...was Lee already ill or physically vulnerable when he contracted the flu or did he succumb to the flu alone that quickly?

Comment

• I don't know tino. I invited him to stay with us when I heard he wasn't feeling well and was still in Philly. He made the flight to Raleigh and was dead within a day. Waiting on the autopsy report but I have no idea how lng that wil take. He wasn't the kind of guy to do drugs so I am guessing he had something more than the flu.

Comment

I don't know tino. I invited him to stay with us when I heard he wasn't feeling well and was still in Philly. He made the flight to Raleigh and was dead within a day. Waiting on the autopsy report but I have no idea how lng that wil take. He wasn't the kind of guy to do drugs so I am guessing he had something more than the flu.
                While the information is only anecdotal, I've read of a number of young people (anyone more than 15 years my junior) in good health who have died from this year's strain. It's rather scary. My daughter and son in law, both of whom work in a public school setting, have again resisted getting flu shots using the argument that the shots have made them sick in the past. Frustrating!

If you think of it and are comfortable in doing so, please let me/us know if there were complicating factors in your friends death.

Comment

• Sorry to hear that Juk. Life is precious for sure.
                  You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

• Originally posted by musicman View Post

What will the people do who don't have 3 hands???
                    http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

• Wow Juk, so sorry to hear about your loss.

I don't think you needed to learn any lesson that way...you were already a pretty sharp guy. But it's true, today is precious, and tomorrow isn't guaranteed to any of us.

I had the flu last week, and people were telling me, "go get yourself tested for H1N1, people are dying from this stuff!"

Stubborn me just rode it out, and thankfully I am feeling better the last couple of days(just still have sinus issues and signs of a sinus infection still). I did some research and indeed there have been quite a few deaths this season. At particular risk supposedly are persons with lung ailments, LOL! I swear that I am either constructed of Teflon, or just one lucky sumbitch. Tuesday and Wednesday left me bedridden struggling to breathe...but I made it. Just kinda verifies to me that we can do the right things, or do the wrong things, but when it's your time, it's your time. WE are not in charge. It is by the grace of God that many of us survive our own ignorance and stupidity. I'm not saying that that was the case for your friend...but I certainly bear resemblance to that statement.

Do let us know what the outcome is from the autopsy. That will be interesting. But the truth, for me at least, is that it was just one of God's children being called home.
                      http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

• Damn Juk, that's just horrible. Horrible. I'm so sorry.
                        "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

• Thanks for the words of encouragement and support. The people on this board are truly special folks! The official cause of death is complications from diabetes. I had no idea that having diabetes put you at a higher risk of serious problem from the flu.

Comment

• hang tough Juk and should we be able to lend an internet hug or shoulder, give a shout
                            We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Thanks for the words of encouragement and support. The people on this board are truly special folks! The official cause of death is complications from diabetes. I had no idea that having diabetes put you at a higher risk of serious problem from the flu.

Juk,

Thanks for the update.

Being a systemic illness, diabetes apparently makes one more vulnerable to seriously negative outcomes with a variety of ailments. Beyond that, one particularly virulent strain of this year's flu viruses seems to be impacting young adults in significantly increased numbers. This is in contrast to historical patterns wherein the very young and very old (with either immature or compromised immune systems) were most at risk.

I know that faith in a higher power brings healing comfort to many in situations like this. And that's a good thing. From what I've read of your posts over time (when you weren't busy stealing my women) your faith will help sustain you in this time of loss. I hope that's true for your friend's family as well.

Comment

• Thanks tino. I appreciate all of the well wishes here.

Comment

Working...
                                X