The draft format at new cities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The draft format at new cities

Watching this thing from Nashville is blowing me away. What the hell are all of these people doing all day long standing there for guys that they don't know getting picked by other teams? They are packed in like cattle and can't move. It looks 10 times bigger than the crowds in Times Square on New Years Eve. It's just incredible how popular the NFL has become. This thing is mindblowing.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
    Watching this thing from Nashville is blowing me away. What the hell are all of these people doing all day long standing there for guys that they don't know getting picked by other teams? They are packed in like cattle and can't move. It looks 10 times bigger than the crowds in Times Square on New Years Eve. It's just incredible how popular the NFL has become. This thing is mindblowing.

Nashville has a lot of appeal and draws a lot of people without there being the additional attraction of a special event... like the incredibly over hyped NFL Draft. But I agree with you. This is the 3rd day and the crowds seem only slightly diminished. Many of these chowderheads have on team gear and/or costumes. They didn't just happen to be here.

And they're not just packed in the street like sardines. They're also on roof tops and hanging out windows. The question occurs to me...WTF is the matter with these fools?

Comment

Originally posted by tinopuno View Post
      Nashville has a lot of appeal and draws a lot of people without there being the additional attraction of a special event... like the incredibly over hyped NFL Draft. But I agree with you. This is the 3rd day and the crowds seem only slightly diminished. Many of these chowderheads have on team gear and/or costumes. They didn't just happen to be here.

And they're not just packed in the street like sardines. They're also on roof tops and hanging out windows. The question occurs to me...WTF is the matter with these fools?

Most of them are young looking to get laid.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
        [/B]
        Most of them are young looking to get laid.

Young? I'm 77 and still lookin' to get laid.

Comment

Originally posted by tinopuno View Post
          Young? I'm 77 and still lookin' to get laid.
          You need to go out for a weekend with MM.

Comment

There were free concerts at the end of each night. I know Tim McGraw did one and there were two others. So that helped beef up the attendance. Either Nashville did a great job. Much better than Dallas
            Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

I’m an hour north of Nashville. They had the city marathon today as well, it’s a huge wedding party destination and there are bars everywhere downtown. Good food and great fun. I think I heard 300,000 today

Comment

There's no question about it...Nashville knows how to host a party and have a 'good old time'. While country music is the staple product there is a wide variety of well played music to suit virtually everyone's taste. It may not have quite the panache of New Orleans but it's less expensive and, IMO, more welcoming.

About 20 years ago when I was still working with a population of young adults that were challenged with mild to moderate developmental disabilities, 10 staff acting as chaperones flew with a group of about 40 clients for a 4 day trip to Nashville. We were there for 4 days and 3 nights. Took in the Grand Old Opry, Dollywood, and a steam boat ride on (I believe) the Cumberland River and ate our dinners at several nice restuarants with good down home cooking.

This was the first time a trip this far from home with this many clients that had ever been attempted by the state program in which I worked and there were some risks involved and more than a few skeptics. Most of our clients were pretty normal in appearance and behavior, but there were a couple exceptions which were noticeable.

The trip went off without a hitch. The clients had a wonderful time, as did the chaperoning staff. The people we encountered as service providers couldn't have been nicer or more welcoming to our crew. Our crew was never made to feel that they were anything other than typical Nashville tourists and music lovers.

So Nashville gets 2 thumbs up from me.

Comment

I'll be in Vegas next year for it. I'm sure it'll be a shitshow.

Comment

I'll bet that Nashville party was something. It must be a very cool place to vacation with all of those spots that I saw to party! I can just imagine what Vegas will do with it because they really know how to put on a show! I can't imagine how they are going to outdo what they already have there though. You can't move in Old Town now as it is.

Draft in Nashville draws record attendance
                    Apr
                    4/28/2019 7:09:05 PM
                    |More
                    Nashville turned the NFL draft into a football and music festival that drew rave reviews, the Associated Press reports.

"To this point, hard not to give Nashville an A-plus for this draft," said Peter O'Reilly, the NFL's senior vice president of events.

Philadelphia drew a record 250,000 fans over the three days of the 2017 draft, and the NFL also has taken this event to Chicago and Dallas since deciding to leave Radio Music City Hall in New York City. Nashville, which first offered up a 55,000-square foot ballroom back in 2011 for the annual draft, simply smashed that attendance mark with about 600,000 over three days.

"It's a testament to Titans fans, to NFL fans globally who've just embraced this draft concept ..., and it's a testament to Nashville," O'Reilly said.

Butch Spyridon, president and CEO of the Nashville Convention & Visitors Corp, sent that first email to the NFL back in 2011 and worked with Titans controlling owner Amy Adams Strunk to land this event last May.

"Far outkicked our coverage, our dreams, our thoughts," Spyridon said. "Way bigger than anything we could've imagined."

Nashville rewrote how to host the draft itself, starting with a six-story tall stage, with several city blocks shut off to traffic. That freed fans to walk in and out of honky tonks while waiting for the next pick. A house band also played beside the stage between selections — a touch O'Reilly says likely will be a staple of future drafts.

At the stadium, fans could run a 40-yard dash, kick a football, get autographs from former and current NFL players, or simply listen to music. All free except for souvenirs, food and drink; even parking at the stadium and nearby state government lots had no charge.

Country star Tim McGraw performed for more than an hour to cap Friday night's festivities, while Dierks Bentley was on tap for another free concert on the main draft stage to finish off festivities.

Las Vegas, next year's host, had representatives on hand studying what Nashville did, and 12 other markets had people here for tips to improve their own bids to host: Carolina, Cleveland, Denver, Detroit, Green Bay, Houston, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, Kansas City, Minnesota, Pittsburgh and Seattle.

Don't forget to follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/theredzoneorg

Like us on Facebook at http://facebook.com/Theredzone.org

Comment

Working...
                    X