Are DT's the strength of our defense?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are DT's the strength of our defense?

Cox, Jernigan, Jackson and now a road grader in Hassan Ridgeway? Not too shabby. I can't wait until Schwartz turns these guys loose!

Here's how Hassan got drafted. The talent is there:

Last edited by Eagle60; 05-01-2019, 01:25 AM.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Who cares about the secondary, QBs won’t have enough time to throw

Comment

Well 60 it is well documented from QBs that pressure up the middle gives them the most difficulty. If you can throw fastball DEs at the same time QBs won't have much time to get rid of the ball. So the backend doesn't need to be as talented.
      Having said that I will say DCs will study ways to beat those DTs and DEs. It has been said you can beat a star DT by running right at him but that isn't as effective if you have other quality linemen. The other that jumps out to me is RB screens or the old quick out to Pinkston. I will be curious to see how teams attack the birds DL.
      Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
      Hope is not a strategy
      RIP

Comment

The standard 2 gap leaves one defensive end unblocked if the offense tries to double team both tackles leaving one DE unblocked so the rb must pick him up. If one of the tackles goes 1 gap that eliminates him getting double teamed but the center has him by himself which is very hard to do, especially against Cox. This means that the RB can't release and has to stay in and help block the center. Those are 2 ways to attack in passing situations. Blitzing LBs can really confuse the rb which way to go to for releases or to help block, particularly crossing them with a lineman. These would be tough for any offense to handle with those tackles of ours fresh. I'll feel a lot better this year with Cox being able to be rotated because of depth. He played something like 95% of the defensive snaps last year. I'm surprised that he held up all season.

We blew a lot of late leads last year and I think that our lack of defensive pressure up front played a huge part in that. We should hold up better when we have the lead this year and I'm excited about that.

Comment

I will say that our DT's are much better than last year. Jackson is a really good player and should be even better with Fletch next to him. Having Jernigan come coming off the bench makes us better, not sure who the 4th guy will be but there is good competition there. I think Ridgeway wins it but Hector, Hester and the two rookie UDFA will most likely have a say.
          Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Everyone including Tommy Lawler seems to think that Jackson should start over Jernigan except me. If he's healthy I think that he should be the main tackle after Cox. He didn't get that big contract extension for no reason before he got hurt and turned the defense around when he returned at the end of last season. I suppose that it doesn't make that much of a difference because they all rotate in but I would expect that he wins out over Jackson.

Comment

A stout D-line, anchored by quality DTs should also help the LBs out. It should (SHOULD) be easier for the LBs to stack and sift through to the ball. Of course, that depends on the quality of the LB play, which is another topic for another thread at another time

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                Everyone including Tommy Lawler seems to think that Jackson should start over Jernigan except me. If he's healthy I think that he should be the main tackle after Cox. He didn't get that big contract extension for no reason before he got hurt and turned the defense around when he returned at the end of last season. I suppose that it doesn't make that much of a difference because they all rotate in but I would expect that he wins out over Jackson.
                With the DTs we have, I think you could see Cox and Jackson at DE at times if they decide to go big. They have all sorts of combos they can play with. I am once again getting excited with the defensive potential
                We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
                  With the DTs we have, I think you could see Cox and Jackson at DE at times if they decide to go big. They have all sorts of combos they can play with. I am once again getting excited with the defensive potential
                  It's only 4 more until we tee it up for real again Bud!!

Comment

Working...
                  X