Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Jordan Mailata actually make the final 53 man roster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Jordan Mailata actually make the final 53 man roster?

Mailata has made very surprising progress for a TOTALLY raw newcomer to our game of football. According to Domovich (and others) his rapid development has been so impressive, he may actually make the final cut.

http://www2.philly.com/philly/sports...-20180827.html

Brian's Baldinger's observation:
    NFL Network analyst Brian Baldinger, an offensive lineman for 11 years in the league, has been amazed at how far Mailata has come in such a short time.
    "It's remarkable,'' he said. "It's one thing to go out there and do individual drills well. But when a guy with his limited experience can go into a game and get off on the snap count and use his hands and know when a guy is running a stunt and all that kind of stuff, it's like he's got football DNA in him.

It's not so much that the Birds think he'll get much playing time. It's concern that another team will jump on him if the Birds try to move him to the Practice Squad.

The Mailata saga borders on the unbelievable! Has Fresh been at work again?

If he has that kind of ability, they cannot risk putting him on the PS. He will either make the team or come up with some mysterious injury

Comment

Originally posted by Pliny View Post
      If he has that kind of ability, they cannot risk putting him on the PS. He will either make the team or come up with some mysterious injury

There is always that unavoidable risk isn't there?

Comment

Originally posted by tinopuno View Post
        There is always that unavoidable risk isn't there?
        Now that Howie picks the roster I don't think that he can resist keeping him because he was a "Howie special.". After all, he kept his 2 jv players last year and it looks like one of them is going to stick. It won't take much positive feedback from the staff for him to include him among the first 53 for awhile. As I mentioned in another thread I think that they can keep him around until injuries start kicking in or PUP players return and they need his spot. After that they can have him pull up lame in practice and IR him like they did with the flea last year. As far as the PS goes tino you are right. He may or may not stay hidden. After all no matter how good or bad teams are they need guys that can help them now so teams might leave him alone. I guess that the Birds know best about that.
        "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

I just saw a video of the kid. He is not only making the roster, but will be pushing Seumalo and Vaitai for their spots before long.
          We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

I could also see this guy being the 3rd string TE. If I am the eagles I don't add that responsibility this year to his drinking from the firehose but I wouldn't be surprised, if he is actually active, that he comes in as a 3rd TE for special situations. He can catch and is fast for his size. Maybe a trick play is installed.

Comment

Originally posted by Vet Turf View Post
              I could also see this guy being the 3rd string TE. If I am the eagles I don't add that responsibility this year to his drinking from the firehose but I wouldn't be surprised, if he is actually active, that he comes in as a 3rd TE for special situations. He can catch and is fast for his size. Maybe a trick play is installed.
              Most people thought that he should have tried TE right from the start Vet. I think that the Birds have enough talent that they can stash him but as players fall during the year that's tough. Seumalo is the TE in short yardage situations for now. He is also much improved from last season!

Comment

The Birds have been trying to keep it very 'hush hush', but during closed practices they're giving Mailata some reps at QB. So far he's been taking only direct snaps because they say it will be another week or 2 before he's got the footwork down to take the snap under center. They're favoring a 3 step drop at this point because of his height. Even the most optimistic predictions don't have Jordon starting at QB before game 9 or 10.

In his spare time he's doing dual internships under both Howie and Doug.

Comment

Originally posted by tinopuno View Post
                  The Birds have been trying to keep it very 'hush hush', but during closed practices they're giving Mailata some reps at QB. So far he's been taking only direct snaps because they say it will be another week or 2 before he's got the footwork down to take the snap under center. They're favoring a 3 step drop at this point because of his height. Even the most optimistic predictions don't have Jordon starting at QB before game 9 or 10.

In his spare time he's doing dual internships under both Howie and Doug.
                  I think that he's also making preparations for a run for the Democratic nomination for President in 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                    Most people thought that he should have tried TE right from the start Vet. I think that the Birds have enough talent that they can stash him but as players fall during the year that's tough. Seumalo is the TE in short yardage situations for now. He is also much improved from last season!
                    Actually if I remember right many didn't want him at all and called it a wasted project.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
                      Actually if I remember right many didn't want him at all and called it a wasted project.
                      ZERO!!! Is the term that I used LOL. I still don't believe how well the kid is doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                        I think that he's also making preparations for a run for the Democratic nomination for President in 2020.

I'd say it's better than even money he could get it. We're partial to dark skinned guys that are born overseas.

Comment

Even if he does masquerade as TE eventually, he would still have to know how to block. Probably a good move getting him to learn tackle for now, and once he's competent at that, maybe see how he does catching the ball. If he keeps improving, maybe later in the season you can sneak him on the active roster for a trick play or something.

But for now, I would imagine he gets the Dillon Gordon/Shelton Gibson roster spot, and be inactive on game days. He's got a long way to go before you would want him on the field. It's amazing he's progressed far enough to be a viable practice player this fast, and the team cannot risk losing him -- there will be some team out there with a roster spot to stash him if the Eagles do not. You can't really IR him either, as he needs the reps. There were reports he had a damaged PCL -- if he does need surgery, maybe you have him on the inactive roster, getting as good as possible, then midseason IR him to get it fixed when you need the roster spot, so that he's ready for next offseason. Though I have read they tend to let some of those lower-severity PCL injuries heal without surgery, and his may be one of those.

Comment

He's going to be Peters replacement. He's going to be all pro. Book it. You heard it here first. NO ONE does what he has done .
                            We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

The kid is full of talent. Have any of you guys heard the kid sing yet? Hell he might be another Dwayne Johnson. Maybe he just might be smart enough to know that he'd make more money being a top OT than he would playing TE.

Comment

Working...
                              X