• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darth Vader on Douglas and Jets

Mike Lombardi says Joe Douglas wants to leave the Eagles

D-D-D-Douglas and the Jets?

By Brandon Lee Gowton@BrandonGowton May 31, 2019, 10:33am EDT

Matthew Emmons-USA TODAY Sports
    It’s been reported ad nauseam that the New York Jets prefer to hire Joe Douglas as their next general manager. The Jets are set to formally interview the Eagles’ vice president of player personnel this weekend.

But is Douglas as interested in the Jets as they are in him? That’s not as clear.

Unless, that is, if you ask former NFL general manager Mike Lombardi. Here’s what Lombardi recently had to say on his podcast:

ADNAN VIRK: You’ve been so good with this Jets stuff. Obviously, you nailed the fact that [Mike] Maccagnan was in trouble prior to a lot of people thinking so — hint, hint, [Mike] Francesa. Any ideas where the Jets could be leaning here?

LOMBARDI: Everybody tells me it’s Joe Douglas. I mean, look, Joe Douglas — he’s going to have options. Well, Joe Douglas wants to leave Philly. I don’t think Joe Douglas is really that comfortable in Philadelphia in this current setup. The Eagles are going really extensively — they hired [former Browns executive] Andrew Berry. They’re going to go really with the analytics. Now, I think they’re going to do both. I think they’re going to have an analytic department and have an old school personnel department and see if they can bridge the two gaps. I don’t think Joe Douglas is sitting there, singing kumbaya every single day in the office. Everybody tells me [the Jets GM opening] is his job. I can’t believe it’s somebody else. [Vikings executive] George Paton turned them down once before.

And look, this whole notion of [Adam] Gase has got to give the [control over the 53-man roster], I don’t think Gase has any problem giving somebody the 53. I think it’s an argument for the media more than it is an argument for the coach. The 53 is insignificant, it’s the 45 [players who dress for game day]. If you tell me I have to dress this guy and he sucks, now you’re really interfering with my life. But if you tell me — like I would tell a coach, pick whoever you want on the 53, give me two players you want to cut, and if we can find a better player than that player we’ll bring him in. But this fight over the 53 is really a fight for really a piece of land that isn’t really worthwhile. It’s ridiculous. Like, why do it? So I think if Douglas has to get that [power] to get out of his Eagles contract or if the Eagles won’t let him go, I don’t see that being a problem.

This is the first we’ve heard about Douglas’ intentions. If Lombardi’s information is good — and to be fair, he has seemingly been plugged in on the Jets’ situation — then Douglas does seem bound to leave the Eagles in the near future.

Then again, this wouldn’t be the first time Lombardi is wrong about a Douglas.

I'm so friekin sick of Analytics that I could puke.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

But Lombardi knows nothing of Douglas' intentions. 100% pure conjecture based on an outsiders view of what may or may not be the setup in Philly. I understand that Douglas may want to go to the Jets in order to chase the GM role, that makes sense if that is his goal but the outright guessing by Lombardi could be 100% wrong. Plus he fails to mention the absolute cluster that is the NY Jets. Maybe it is a good opportunity to clean up a dysfunctional organization but the owner will still be there and is a source of a lot of the problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Vet Turf View Post
      But Lombardi knows nothing of Douglas' intentions. 100% pure conjecture based on an outsiders view of what may or may not be the setup in Philly. I understand that Douglas may want to go to the Jets in order to chase the GM role, that makes sense if that is his goal but the outright guessing by Lombardi could be 100% wrong. Plus he fails to mention the absolute cluster that is the NY Jets. Maybe it is a good opportunity to clean up a dysfunctional organization but the owner will still be there and is a source of a lot of the problems.
      I understand your thoughts vet and agree that Lombardi is mostly guessing what's going on. NY is a screwed up mess with an eccentric owner. I do know that Luri is obsessed with this analytics crap and I wouldn't be surprised if personnel is going this way though and Joe doesn't want to hear it. I understand that they are helpful in some cases but going overboard using them is bunch of crap IMO.

Comment

First, Doug Pederson is the worst coach in the NFL. Definitive info from Lombardi until Pederson embarrassed the s*** out of him by leading the Eagles to win the super bowl. So......Lombardi's word ain't s*** IMHO. He may get a nugget here and there but he is just another guy spouting crap.
        As far as Lurie and analytics.... I have little doubt he believes in it. Whether he is obsessed is surely debatable. Personally, I agree that hey have their place in decision making but they can not, and should not, be the be all end all.
        Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
        Hope is not a strategy
        RIP

Comment

Yep, he is an ass.

https://adequateman.deadspin.com/mik...ron-1822759998

Comment

Originally posted by Pliny View Post
            I knew that he was a fraud from the start Pliny. I had to google the guy after watching the NFL channel when he first started to find out wtf he was just some blowhole GM who got fired a couple of times for sucking. I just put the article up because he might actually know somebody who knew how the Eagles peronelle department actually worked.

That article was funny as hell and I really liked the idea of pooping out of my dick. Much more convenient! I also liked what he said about my favorite guy Collingsworth. I think that he's head and shoulders above the others and also was a hot shit when he played. And he was damned good too!

ND, for the analytics and Luri I read Spadaro the other day and he talked about how all of the owners were questioning him on fucking analytics at the annual owners meeting like he's the guru. Luri also mentions it quite a bit and credits it for the Eagles' improvement. Maybe some of it is true, but I'd hate to think that some computer programer can do a better job than a coach. And I'm super glad that he had to settle for Doug because nobody else would take the job LOL!

Comment

I regard Lombardi as basically the equivalent of the dog shit I occasionally have to scrape off the sole of my shoe.
              The only difference would be that it's in my interest to pay momentary attention to the dog shit.

Comment

Originally posted by tinopuno View Post
                I regard Lombardi as basically the equivalent of the dog shit I occasionally have to scrape off the sole of my shoe.
                The only difference would be that it's in my interest to pay momentary attention to the dog shit.

You're too much!

Comment

Lombardi hasn't like the Eagles for a long time. He is rarely right about things. I am not concerned. If Douglas leaves its because he is offered a 1/32 opportunity to run a football team. If he isn't offered the job he will stay here and continue to work with Howie as he has done for the past few years.
                  Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

I don't think GM jobs open up very often do they? I thought most GMs are entrenched in their organizations. I really have no idea. If I'm right then I think that he'll take the job if offered. If they do open up more frequently then I might wait a year or two if I were Joe.

Comment

Well it has been 48 hours since the interview and Douglas is still in the nest. Maybe they are working out a contract but I think we would have heard the grumblings of an offer being made. For right now, I am going with “no news is good news!”
                      Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                      Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

GM jobs open up regularly- there’s always some franchise that is in some kind of disarray and owners can replace coaches frequently but it’s usually replacing the GM that makes a true change to an organization. Every year there’s one or two teams that meet that criteria.

He’ll be next in line.

Comment

Working...
                        X