• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And now they're pushing for an 18 game season again

Report: NFL proposing 18-game season with 16-game limit per player
    Jul
    7/12/2019 1:46:13 PM
    |More
    As part of the NFL's push for 18 regular season games, the league is reportedly proposing an 18-game season with a per-player limit of 16 games per year according to Andrew Beaton of the Wall Street Journal.

This idea has been floating around for years and apparently Roger Goodell and team owners believe it would address the NFLPA's concerns about player safety. It's an idea that would seem to have a lot of unintended consequences and could lead to a fan revolt. Suppose you are a fan that saved up all season to buy tickets to a New Orleans Saints game only to find that one or more star players-an Alvin Kamara or a Michael Thomas or future HOF QB Drew Brees-has to sit out that game because of the 16-game limit. It's not as if the fan is going to get their ticket discounted because the team isn't at full strength-especially from a league that even gouges season ticket holders for the full price of preseason games featuring a bunch of scrubs.

And how could any team willingly sit a healthy starting quarterback? It is possible that problem could be solved by exempting QBs (and kickers and punters) given the enhanced safety rules already in place to protect them. But there are plenty other star players that could devastate their team's playoff chances by being required to sit out. Or imagine a team with a chance for a perfect season losing that chance by being forced to start backups at key positions.

This bizarre proposal only shows how desperate the NFL seems to be to expand to 18 games and how successful the players' union has been in rebuffing them. Maybe instead the owners need to accept the fact that the only way players are ever going to agree to the 18-game season is to pony up a lot more cash and make them an offer they cannot refuse.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

18 games will happen some time. If players sit a game fans will get used to it. Everything will just be another coaching decision; another tactic to figure out and given a year or two fans will go right along with it like nothing happened.
    I just hope they use the opportunity to do things that actually make sense and could help the league like giving all teams in the same division the same bye week.
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

Comment

I think the real motivation behind this is simply to extend the season and add more advertising opportunities aka higher television revenue. So why not do the obvious and add another bye week instead of adding another game that the players object to? The second bye week gets them to 18 weeks and helps reduce player fatigue which should help the league eventually add another game or two down the road.
      Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
      Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
        18 games will happen some time. If players sit a game fans will get used to it. Everything will just be another coaching decision; another tactic to figure out and given a year or two fans will go right along with it like nothing happened.
        I just hope they use the opportunity to do things that actually make sense and could help the league like giving all teams in the same division the same bye week.

We've talked about this before if you remember ND. It's so friekin easy to do! Give one conference week 8 off and the other one week 9. You could have all divisional games those weeks. With 8 games each week you could still have Monday and Thursday games. I'm sure that there is a money factor in there someplace not to do it because it just makes too much sense. Also, if they gave teams 2 byes instead of one they could extend the season another week and start on Labor Day weekend like they used to do and give the players much needed rest.

Comment

I love it:

They want to maximize revenue. 18 games will do that. Players get a piece of that action and the league will also have to increase roster sizes. Everybody wins. And the real beauty of it is that hardly any players play all 16 games anyway. It’s not like things will be much different. Helps with player safety too as there won’t be pressure to rush guys back from injury.
          Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

Originally posted by rspurr View Post
            I love it:

They want to maximize revenue. 18 games will do that. Players get a piece of that action and the league will also have to increase roster sizes. Everybody wins. And the real beauty of it is that hardly any players play all 16 games anyway. It’s not like things will be much different. Helps with player safety too as there won’t be pressure to rush guys back from injury.
            Playing your number 2 qb won't make a difference? What is the team's record without Lane Johnson? There is absolutely no way the union will go for it anyway. Do you really think that veterans want young guys to come in and play and prove how good they are so that they can get beat out of their jobs? Ain't gonna happen Spurr.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
              Playing your number 2 qb won't make a difference? What is the team's record without Lane Johnson? There is absolutely no way the union will go for it anyway. Do you really think that veterans want young guys to come in and play and prove how good they are so that they can get beat out of their jobs? Ain't gonna happen Spurr.
              But aren’t these two extra games just replacing pre-season games where the young guys get to play?
              Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

Yea, they will cut the preseason games. People routinely bitch about preseason games anyway. Any team can beat any team on any given day but there are games on the schedule that you absolutely should win. That is when the #2 QB will play. There are guys who go out there hobbled up and shouldn't play but do anyway. That is the game the coach will sit them. This will just be another management task for the coaches.
                Now, if you want to look for reasons it may not happen look to the betting angle. When do you have to announce the decision? If you play a game and a guy doesn't play even though he was active and on the sidelines can that count as his game off? Fantasy leagues, Vegas, etc will have an impact on the decision far quicker that what general fans think.
                Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                Hope is not a strategy
                RIP

Comment

Personally, I think it is a good solution. 2 fake phony games go away (YES), players have no more risk on the face of it. And in my humble opine--- this adds another layer to coaching and adds to the mystery of games. Also (if they choose) it could straighten out the bye week inequities. And I get to see 18 real games of my team.

Comment

I agree with MD. It will add to the strategy of coaching, when to sit key players. I am not a big fantasy FB person, but it should add some strategy there as well.
                    Fly EaglesFly!

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
                      Yea, they will cut the preseason games. People routinely bitch about preseason games anyway. Any team can beat any team on any given day but there are games on the schedule that you absolutely should win. That is when the #2 QB will play. There are guys who go out there hobbled up and shouldn't play but do anyway. That is the game the coach will sit them. This will just be another management task for the coaches.
                      Now, if you want to look for reasons it may not happen look to the betting angle. When do you have to announce the decision? If you play a game and a guy doesn't play even though he was active and on the sidelines can that count as his game off? Fantasy leagues, Vegas, etc will have an impact on the decision far quicker that what general fans think.
                      There are a bunch of unintended ramifications here ND. I don't think that the union will even consider this proposal. The league is losing viewers as it is and this will lose even more people. Give the players another bye or two if you want to rest them and extend the season. That would satisfy everyone.

Comment

All NFC teams on bye week 6 & 12. AFC teams week 7 & 13. The longest stretch is 6 weeks of games. That extends the season, keeps the players fresh, and no need to sit anyone 2 games. I think it makes sense, so why do it? LOL

Comment

adding 2 real games and deleting 2 BS games puts 20000-50000 more beer drinking ,food grubbing, merchandise buying, car parking bodies in the stadium
                          We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
                            adding 2 real games and deleting 2 BS games puts 20000-50000 more beer drinking ,food grubbing, merchandise buying, car parking bodies in the stadium
                            And two more weeks if games on network TV. TV contrasts will go up. I think the union should go for this, it would be foolish not to. More revenue for the league means more money for them and with no significant change to their work load.
                            Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

I think the long term strategy is to get the league to a 20 week season. That means 2 bye weeks and 2 more games. Maybe the league needs to change the way they are thinking by looking at minutes played rather than games. Put a 1,000 minute limit on each player which is an increase from the 960 minutes expected for 16, 60 minute games. That allows coaches a choice of sitting players for a whole game or having them take off a series or two each week. The NBA and NHL already track player minutes so there is no reason the NFL can’t do it as well. This increases coaching strategy, expands rosters, improves player safety and also gives the owners the longer season with the added bonus of having the existing players perform for an extra 40 minutes on their existing salaries. It also helps fans who pay for a ticket to see a certain player live, have a better chance of meeting that goal - even if it is for less than an entire game.

Edit: After re-reading this I realized the flaw is that players don’t play a full 60 minutes now. So make it 500 minutes and track their time on the field. It will be interesting to see what happens as fast tempo offenses will cause problems for the DC as he sees defensive players on the field time far out pacing offensive players. This will become a science in itself amd make the coaches strategy far more important.
                              Last edited by Jukin; 07-14-2019, 10:53 AM.
                              Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                              Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Working...
                              X