• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UDFAs

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/...phia-eagles-lb

I would have expected more LBs

Anywho, I think Edwards, Opeta, and Bates could actually make the 53

Anyone stand out to any of you?

Thompkins has a real chance to stick as a Kick off and Punt Returner, he took a few to the house over the last few years at Penn State.

Every year there are guys like Edwards who you say how can he not get drafted? He has to beat out Nate Gerry and I think he will. Very productive player in college.
    Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Well we have 8 of them on the roster right now Dawk. I don't know how you can effectively evaluate anymore of that during camp. We play nickle and dime about 70% of the time anyway so maybe we are overblowing the situation there. I think the problem that we have is that to have a top 5 defense you need a great MLB and Bradham isn't in that category but he's pretty darned good so as long as he stays healthy I think that we're good there. Maybe one of these guys that we brought in will become one but how probably is that???

As far as evaluating them that is pretty much impossible right now after watching all of those highlights this weekend. Watching offensive players in the Big 12 is almost impossible to evaluate with the sucky defense that they play. I was watching one of the rbs (forgot who) who showed about 4 plays tearing up Syracuse and I was thinking "who doesn't?". You have to consider the competition when you evaluate these guys. It does seem like one of them always makes the roster though. Let's face it though, how much of a turnover are we going to have anyway? We're a darned good team.

I had Gerry in mind too taz. I'd like to see him get beat out and I think that he will be.
      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

still haven't seen a team sign Benzschawel. Perhaps a bidding war is going on?

shocked he didn't get drafted

Comment

Originally posted by dawkins20 View Post
          still haven't seen a team sign Benzschawel. Perhaps a bidding war is going on?

shocked he didn't get drafted
          This guy got some ging:

Aaron Wilson
          @AaronWilson_NFL
          Philadelphia Eagles gave $55,000 base salary guarantee, plus $25,000 signing bonus to offensive guard Sua Opeta, per a source

Comment

the Lions got Benzschawel

Comment

I don't know who scouts ND area for the birds but they must have a little sway. Birds picked up a kid from Bismarck High that went to Dickinson State. Corner named Liggins. I'd have to say astonished but really don't know much about him. Dickinson plays NAIA. After the season the kid went to one of the courses to get coached up for the scouts. He went to the NDSU pro day and worked out there. If you think it is a long way from NDSU to the NFL you can't imagine how far it is from Dickinson. I wish him luck but I hope he learns enough so he might get a chance in Canada.
              And if Stick didn't get picked one spot before the birds picked my guess is he would be in Philly although Thorson's size is much closer to the Philly ideal
              Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
              Hope is not a strategy
              RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
                I don't know who scouts ND area for the birds but they must have a little sway. Birds picked up a kid from Bismarck High that went to Dickinson State. Corner named Liggins. I'd have to say astonished but really don't know much about him. Dickinson plays NAIA. After the season the kid went to one of the courses to get coached up for the scouts. He went to the NDSU pro day and worked out there. If you think it is a long way from NDSU to the NFL you can't imagine how far it is from Dickinson. I wish him luck but I hope he learns enough so he might get a chance in Canada.
                And if Stick didn't get picked one spot before the birds picked my guess is he would be in Philly although Thorson's size is much closer to the Philly ideal
                I was pulling for you ND but he got nabbed before us and I was a little surprised about that to tell you the truth. I like Thorson, he's a gamer and a decent QB. He's kind of out your way too give or take 700 miles. You're right though, they must have somebody hanging around up there by you although everybody knew about Carson. The Big 10 was strong this year and I'm glad that we went shopping there with 3 of our 5 picks coming from the conference. I suppose that we could even consider Washington St. out your way with that kind of thinking. I can't find a way to squeeze Stanford in though unless I have a couple more beers.

All kidding aside I read Patriot Reign years ago when Mike Holly spent the season with them and he said that they scout every senior in the country every year. That's how they found and drafted Matt Cassel who won 11 games for them the year that Brady got hurt. He was a backup QB at USC. I don't know how far down they go in conferences though.

Comment

60 guess it was just a thought. Personally I think some teams put more money and emphasis into scouting whether it be the pro scouting dept or college. Much like the Phils had a great minor league system and then let it deteriorate by not spending and then built it back up. I disagree about Wentz. I don't think many knew about him until the senior bowl and then they started checking out his tape. The same with Goedert. Only a handful of mentions until a couple of scouts starting talking him up and then he was the heat. You only get a handful of nuggets at the FCS level, and damn fewer at the NAIA level, so I think some teams don't put much effort into it. And I think some scouts have more influence with their bosses than other scouts, as is the case in all businesses.
                  Maybe I am wrong but I don't recall the birds picking up too many small school guys from other areas save the local Philly areas so I think they must have a 'guy' they trust.
                  Hope is not a strategy
                  RIP

Comment

I am not so sure about Stick. He is on the smaller size for a QB and Doug clearly likes taller QB's. Maybe if Stick would have been a UDFA they may have taken a shot.
                    Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

I do remember that the first thing Luri did was to expand the scouting department when he bought the team and that was cool and a supposed sign that he was going to spend money on it. Then he/Banner became so cheap with the salary cap that was ridiculous. I remember that 3 days before the first game that he owned the team he cut 4 starters pay "just in case somebody got hurt". You can imagine how that went over in the locker room but a lot of teams didn't know how to manage the cap when it first came out. Mom had all the money and I think that he finally was able to convince her that the investment was going to pay off. and she opened the pursestrings. Anyway let's not revisit that time and just say that the Eagles always tried to stay ahead of the game scouting wise (probably used Dallas as a model) but he/Banner/Reid got into an awful spot to start off when they fired Tom Modrak IMO. Modrak put some great rosters together in Buffalo in the smallest market in the league.

All of this nonsense to show that the Eagles have always been interested in good scouting and were one of the first to use BLESTO to try to get ahead in the game. I remember that it was so bad that one of the posters on the old board actually called Mel Kiper to ask him what he thought (tell)of a local player and his wife said "wait a minute and I'll get him, he's out back mowing the lawn!.

Comment

Jimmy Kempski UDFA analysis:

https://www.phillyvoice.com/analyzin...e-agent-class/

Edwards, Opeta, Herbig, and Thomkins look intriguing to me.

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
                          I am not so sure about Stick. He is on the smaller size for a QB and Doug clearly likes taller QB's. Maybe if Stick would have been a UDFA they may have taken a shot.
                          Not sure why you're not sure about Stick. I thought you had them taking him pre-draft. But I agree with the size that is why I said

Hope is not a strategy
                          RIP

Comment

Not sure why you're not sure about Stick. I thought you had them taking him pre-draft. But I agree with the size that is why I said

Talking about size the Ohio State kid Haskins that Washington drafted is only 5'10". How the heck do you play at that height? How can you see over the line never mind throw over it?

Comment

Nah 60, the Haskins kid is 6-3. Murray that was drafted by Arizona # 1 is 5-10. I know Wilson is pretty small and pretty successful but I agree with you that 5-10 is too small for my liking.
                              Hope is not a strategy
                              RIP

Comment

Working...
                              X