Regular Season Record Doesn't Matter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regular Season Record Doesn't Matter

Andy and Howie had it right this year. They just missed by a hair.

2007 NFC Champions New York Giants (dammit!) 10-6
    2008 NFC Champions Arizona Cardinals 9-7
    2009 NFC Champions New Orleans Saints 13-3
    2010 NFC Champions Green Bay Packers 10-6
    2011 NFC Champions New York Giants (dammit!) 9-7

Andy and Howie (and even Juan) have mentioned at times in the past year the idea that they were more worried about finishing strong, than starting strong. They felt that they peaked too soon in some years - particularly 2009 and 2010. So part of the reason hiring Juan probably didn't seem too risky was the idea that they could overcome a slow start and still get into the playoffs when they were playing their best ball, just like the Giants, Cardinals and Packers did.

Ok it didn't work out. Way too many turnovers and some defensive gaffes cost them too many early season games. But let's not lose sight of the recent history here.

I, for one, hope that they keep this perspective and do not come blowing out of the chute next year in the hopes of wiping out the disappointment of 2011, only to run out of steam and disappoint in the postseason.

And I know its passe to talk about what if's, but happen to think this team was playing better than the Giants in the final weeks of the season. Its NOT unrealistic to say that had the Giants lost to the Jets that it would be the Eagles getting ready to play New England this week. This Eagles secondary was built to match up with GB and NO and Alex Smith played the only good game quarter of his life against the Saints.
    Long Live Section 736

No this can't be true because the Giants "know how to win" and the Eagles don't, and Andy Reid is the worst coach EVER.

Comment

Look, just because Andy Reid isn't the worst coach ever doesn't mean that criticisms of Andy are unwarranted. You can be flawed and not be the worst coach ever.

Despite your sarcasm, nobody thinks that Andy is the worst coach ever. Your injecting that hyperbole into the conversation as sarcasm doesn't mean anyone actually thinks that. And your injection of that sarcastic hyperbole also doesnt mean Andy Reid is what we need.

Comment

Gotta agree with VIn here. YPCM, that line is getting a little tired, and a lot silly. If you have something to add to the discussion, please do. I think you are letting your frustration overwhelm you.

Quito, your premise seems rather bizarre to me. You say "I, for one, hope that they keep this perspective and do not come blowing out of the chute next year in the hopes of wiping out the disappointment of 2011, only to run out of steam and disappoint in the postseason. "

This would indicate that you believe that there is a way/reason to purposefully hold back or intentionally under-prepare your team early in the season? Huh? Andy's mantra has always been that you focus on one game at a time, and you try to win every game. I have no fear of this team coming out too hot. The only year that I can recall us doing that, we went to the Super Bowl.
        http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Of course the regular season matters. How in the hell can ANYONE argue otherwise after the Eagles regular season follies left them watching the playoffs on TV??? Seriously. Yes, it is important to be healthy and peaking at the end of the season/playoffs. No one is denying that. But, the regular season certainly does matter. A lot.

Comment

A team cannot get to the playoffs without a good regular season performance...so its a stretch to say the regular season does not matter.

The point QP appears to be making is the impact of "getting hot" entering the playoffs, being healthy, getting some bounces etc. all play a significant part in how well a team performs in those one game win-or-go-home scenarios.

Certainly makes sense, we've definitely been saying this on here for years and are seeing it happen more frequently due to the nature of a one-game elimination structure, FA, the cap, rule changes, parity within the league etc. Teams can be 6-10 one year and bounce back to 12-4 the next regularly and so no one knows what will happen.
            Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Agree the regular season matters. The Giants were the ONLY team to win on the road in the playoffs...and I think that is largely b/c the Niners were a little bit of fools gold ... and the Packers probably a bit too (with a really bad D). Just b/c the Giants won two road games doesn't mean it's still not a huge advantage to be able to play at home.

As far as Andy, I agree with Vin. Andy's been a great coach here...but if you are afraid of replacing him with someone who ends up being like Bill Belicheck when he was with the Browns, then you will never find the guy who could be the next Bill B with the Pats. There are guys out there who will be very bad NFL coaches, but there are also going to be great NFL-head-coach-in-waiting type guys just waiting to get a chance.

Meanwhile, where is andy anyway?

Comment

Here's what's important: being a good team and making the playoffs.

Being a good team and not making the playoffs is no good.

Being a bad team and making the playoffs isn't much good either.

Everyone assumes if the Eagles make the playoffs this year, they're the NY Giants. Well guess what? They couldve been the Detroit Lions or the Atlanta Falcons too.

I'm as shocked as anyone the Giants are in the SB. They had a lot of help along the way.

Comment

Originally posted by sfphillyfan View Post
                  Everyone assumes if the Eagles make the playoffs this year, they're the NY Giants. Well guess what? They couldve been the Detroit Lions or the Atlanta Falcons too.

I'm as shocked as anyone the Giants are in the SB. They had a lot of help along the way.
                  ......along the same line, they could've been the 2006 Eagles. I had to bite a bullet to type that, but it's a good comparison.

They were adrift, adjusted the game plan, caught a couple of breaks (Owens high ankle sprain wasn't the only reason the Cowgirls collapsed, but hey, it helped us), we had a couple of guys play just out of their minds (BDawk, Westy, and sure let's also give Garcia his due), and I don't think anyone in the NFL wanted to play the Eagles going into the playoffs that year. I'll never forget that classic picture of Trent Cole hot-dogging at Eli Manning as he returned that deflected pass into the end zone.

What kills me is that, as good as the Saints looked against us in the divisional game that year, they looked terrible a week later in the NFCCG against the Bears. I mean...Rex Grossman in the SB, really?
                  "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
                  — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
                  - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

*My* frustration is getting the best of *me*? Have you guys read your posts lately? Jeesh.

Dear Kettle,

You're black.

Love,
                    The Pot

Comment

Originally posted by balto-eaglefan View Post
                      ......along the same line, they could've been the 2006 Eagles. I had to bite a bullet to type that, but it's a good comparison.

They were adrift, adjusted the game plan, caught a couple of breaks (Owens high ankle sprain wasn't the only reason the Cowgirls collapsed, but hey, it helped us), we had a couple of guys play just out of their minds (BDawk, Westy, and sure let's also give Garcia his due), and I don't think anyone in the NFL wanted to play the Eagles going into the playoffs that year. I'll never forget that classic picture of Trent Cole hot-dogging at Eli Manning as he returned that deflected pass into the end zone.

What kills me is that, as good as the Saints looked against us in the divisional game that year, they looked terrible a week later in the NFCCG against the Bears. I mean...Rex Grossman in the SB, really?

Sure they could. Michael Vick could have the game of his life. Or Aaron Rodgers has his worst game in forever. Or we get the 2 kyle williams gifts that the Giants got. These things could have happened. But the argument that most people make about just missing the playoffs is that they would be this year's giants. And there's no evidence that really strongly makes that argument.
                      Last edited by sfphillyfan; 01-26-2012, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal View Post
                        *My* frustration is getting the best of *me*? Have you guys read your posts lately? Jeesh.

Dear Kettle,

You're black.

Love,
                        The Pot

Dear pot, I am not repeating myself over and over and over and over....

Lova ya, man!
                        http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal View Post

Dear Kettle,

You're black.

Love,
                          The Pot
                          Damn people for having different options and being frustrated.
                          FRESH > cancer

I hate everything the Cowboys stand for. If you think they are America's team, then you support everything that is wrong with America. The excess, the greed, the lack of maturity, the lack of responsibility, the lack of control. - Luzinski's Gut

Comment

Originally posted by Blitz View Post
                            Damn people for having different options and being frustrated.

I thought you were dead?

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH View Post
                              I thought you were dead?
                              I am. I just pop up every few days to post. Satan allows me to talk about the Eagles because being an Eagles fan is just like being in hell.
                              FRESH > cancer

I hate everything the Cowboys stand for. If you think they are America's team, then you support everything that is wrong with America. The excess, the greed, the lack of maturity, the lack of responsibility, the lack of control. - Luzinski's Gut

Comment

Working...
                              X