View Single Post
Old 04-29-2019, 12:21 AM   #10
Eagle60 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

Eagle60 will become famous soon enough

I'll bet that Nashville party was something. It must be a very cool place to vacation with all of those spots that I saw to party! I can just imagine what Vegas will do with it because they really know how to put on a show! I can't imagine how they are going to outdo what they already have there though. You can't move in Old Town now as it is.

Draft in Nashville draws record attendance
Apr
4/28/2019 7:09:05 PM
|More
Nashville turned the NFL draft into a football and music festival that drew rave reviews, the Associated Press reports.

"To this point, hard not to give Nashville an A-plus for this draft," said Peter O'Reilly, the NFL's senior vice president of events.

Philadelphia drew a record 250,000 fans over the three days of the 2017 draft, and the NFL also has taken this event to Chicago and Dallas since deciding to leave Radio Music City Hall in New York City. Nashville, which first offered up a 55,000-square foot ballroom back in 2011 for the annual draft, simply smashed that attendance mark with about 600,000 over three days.

"It's a testament to Titans fans, to NFL fans globally who've just embraced this draft concept ..., and it's a testament to Nashville," O'Reilly said.

Butch Spyridon, president and CEO of the Nashville Convention & Visitors Corp, sent that first email to the NFL back in 2011 and worked with Titans controlling owner Amy Adams Strunk to land this event last May.

"Far outkicked our coverage, our dreams, our thoughts," Spyridon said. "Way bigger than anything we could've imagined."

Nashville rewrote how to host the draft itself, starting with a six-story tall stage, with several city blocks shut off to traffic. That freed fans to walk in and out of honky tonks while waiting for the next pick. A house band also played beside the stage between selections a touch O'Reilly says likely will be a staple of future drafts.

At the stadium, fans could run a 40-yard dash, kick a football, get autographs from former and current NFL players, or simply listen to music. All free except for souvenirs, food and drink; even parking at the stadium and nearby state government lots had no charge.

Country star Tim McGraw performed for more than an hour to cap Friday night's festivities, while Dierks Bentley was on tap for another free concert on the main draft stage to finish off festivities.

Las Vegas, next year's host, had representatives on hand studying what Nashville did, and 12 other markets had people here for tips to improve their own bids to host: Carolina, Cleveland, Denver, Detroit, Green Bay, Houston, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, Kansas City, Minnesota, Pittsburgh and Seattle.

Don't forget to follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/theredzoneorg

Like us on Facebook at http://facebook.com/Theredzone.org