Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BIG PHILLY Goes to the Movies (CARS Review 7/28/06)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BIG PHILLY Goes to the Movies (CARS Review 7/28/06)

I will be seeing a bunch of summer movies as they all pique my interest. Over the next 6-8 weeks I'll be reviewing:

Nacho Libre (6/22/06)
    Superman
    CARS
    Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
    X-Men: The Last Stand

Tonight I go see NACHO LIBRE. Review tomorrow...

---------------------------------- -------------------------------------------

FYI - My rating scale is based out of 5 "Yoda Heads" in honor of my favorite movies (Star Wars Sixogy) and the character YODA.

- "Rather Die than Watch Again I would"
    - "Fantastic 4 Quality This Is"
    - "DVD this one you might"
    - "See in Theater You Must!"
    - "Would own DVD and see while in the Theater would I"
    Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
    Playoff Appearances:
    NFC Title Games:
    Super Bowl Titles:

I'll be very curious about your nacho libre review. I'm a huge Jack Black fan but haven't had the chance to get out to the movies to see this one. The reviews have been mixed so I'm hoping it gets the BP approval.

Comment

I might go see Nacho Libre tomorrow or Friday. I'm psyched even though it got lukewarm reviews by the critics.

Comment

I can tell you that I'm a huge Napoleon Dynamite fan and I'm really looking forward to this movie. So I may not be so objective. My early thought - with no exposure outside of the trailers - is that I'll want to own the DVD on this one.

But you never know.

FWIW - Most of the bashing reviews come across as critics who don't get the genre - not that the movie is poor.
        Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
        Playoff Appearances:
        NFC Title Games:
        Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

Coming...busy today...it was freaking funny though...
          Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
          Playoff Appearances:
          NFC Title Games:
          Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

Shouldn't the Yoda scale be in postfix, i.e. predicate first?

"Rather Die than Watch Again I would"
            "Fantastic 4 Quality This Is"
            "DVD this one you might"
            "See in Theater You Must!"

etc.

Comment

"Get down do you? Good blow this is."

Anyone see that Chapelle spoof?
              I have never done steroids. Period. Well, not today, anyway.

Comment

NACHO LIBRE - 2006

* Well - let's start right in and say that this movie is extremely funny in an intelligent way. If you do not like Napoleon Dynamite or find Jack Black in movies like School of Rock annoying - then save your money. If you thought both of those movies were hilarious and a "New Breed" of humor - breaking from the redundant "Owen Wilson - Vince Vaughn - Ben Stiller - Here's some more Vince Vaughn" humor that currently invades our theaters - then this movie is a must see.

The star of the show is JACK BLACK who in many ways redefines himself with his half Scandanavian / half Mexican heritage as the character Ignacio (Wrestling Name: "Nacho"). His hilarious accent and overall portrayal of a disenchanted "Friar" who greatly desires to be a pro wrestler is a good fit for him.

What will go unnoticed is the "2nd" Star of this movie. The little boy "Chanco" who absolutely is critical to the humor/storyline of this movie. Nacho loves Chanco (PIG in Spanish - One of the orphans) and he reminds him of himself as a child (Loves wrestling, Orphan and Fat) AND while he pushes hard to wrestle for "fame" he soon discovers he would rather wrestle for the KIDS - in particular "Chanco".

That's the story. Period.

The execution of the story is where you will get a mixed bag of viewers saying "This movie stinks" and "This movie is brilliant".

Example:

Training Scene: When Nacho and his wrestling tag team partner Esqueleto (Skeleton in Spanish) decide to become amateur wrestlers - they throw bee hives, melons and horse poop at each other in an otherwise meaningless scene but it's FREAKING HILARIOUS. The inane nature of the scene will make you laugh in a similar way as you laughed when PEDRO and Napoleon were going over the Jump on his Sledgehammer in ND or when Uncle Rico threw a Steak in Napoleon's face. It's funny.

Wrestling Matches: These are beautifully done. They have a number of amateur matches and one special match - but the quality and humor in the ring are just superb. One particular scene gives the pre fight breakdown and specs on all 10 "cage match" participants. It's hysterical.

- Look - there are a ton of "fart" noises and Jack Black breaks out into song twice - which quickly makes you remember who he "Really" is - which is not too bad but could have been without. You know that going in. The question for the viewing audience is whether you are willing to accept the movie and go with it - or be skeptical. If you go with it...it makes you laugh a ton...Like its half brother Napoleon Dynamite - this movie will get better after every viewing. That I promise...

NOTE: The music in the movie is perfect. I mean perfect. The timing and mood of the music is simply brilliant. There is a Mexican song entitled HOMBRE RELIGIOSO (Religious Man) that is played throughout the movie and is just awesome and so perfect for the movie.

I'm going to buy the DVD but for the average viewer I give NACHO LIBRE a rating of:

3 Yodas - See in the Theater at Least!

Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
                Playoff Appearances:
                NFC Title Games:
                Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

Thanks BP - this seals it for me. I gotta go to this and soon.

Comment

I just saw it and I agree with the three rating. Unless you're a Jack Black fan, you should save your $10. I got some good laughs out of it. However I would say that Napolean Dynamite is much more quotable FWIW.

Comment

Do you agree that if you watch it more and more you'll probably like it more and more? A ton of jokes to digest in one sitting.

CHANCHO!!!
                      Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
                      Playoff Appearances:
                      NFC Title Games:
                      Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

Same with ND... it gets better when you see it the fifth time and when you have people who have seen the movie as well.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPHILLY
                          when Uncle Rico threw a Steak in Napoleon's face.
                          LMFAO at Uncle Rico. Just might be one of the funniest characters in the history of movies.

The image of him standing outside of his trailer setting up that video camera and throwing that football like a complete spaz.. :P

Comment

Uncle Rico eating the onion ring and getting sauce on his shirt and looking down...hilarious...those are the little things. If you don't like that humor - you won't like this movie.
                            Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
                            Playoff Appearances:
                            NFC Title Games:
                            Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPHILLY
                              Uncle Rico eating the onion ring and getting sauce on his shirt and looking down...hilarious...those are the little things. If you don't like that humor - you won't like this movie.
                              Rico: While you were playing patty-cake with your friend Pedro your Uncle Rico was making 120 bucks.

Napoleon: I could make that much money in 5 seconds!

ROFLMFAO

Comment

Working...
                              X