So what kind of pick was Dillard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So what kind of pick was Dillard?

Was he a (1)BPA, (2)need, (3) or (4)gift from Heaven? He was supposedly on the Eagles' top 10 board (I assume #10) and made it to #22 and they moved up from 25 to draft him. It could be a combination of of 2 or 3 of them. I still don't trust Howie 100% and I'm leaning in the 2-3 combo. He'd have you believe it was a 1,2 and 4. Maybe it was
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

If he was indeed rated so high, then it was BPA. I know Stoutland seems to be pleased with the pick

https://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/v...dillard-s-film
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Well IMM he certainly was BPA. Not sure what a gift from heaven is in the draft but it could be a combo platter of the four things you mention. Fans, nor the media for that matter, have the inside knowledge they sometimes think they have. I said earlier that this draft would tell me what the birds think of V, Mailata, Pryor, et al. Moving up for Dillard did just that. Howie, Pederson, Spadaro and others can say the birds are comfortable with X every day but their actions say they are comfortable with him in a backup role.
      I'm not sure why you still don't trust Howie. As far as handling the team I am perfectly comfortable although I have a tiny concern when you kick the can down the salary cap road too often. But I haven't seen any team suspended for it yet so oh well. As far as trusting him to tell the truth to the media.....I don't trust any of them to tell the truth to the media (which ultimately is telling the rest of the league).
      Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
      Hope is not a strategy
      RIP

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
        If he was indeed rated so high, then it was BPA. I know Stoutland seems to be pleased with the pick

https://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/v...dillard-s-film
        So you are a 1,4 guy. I hope that they saw it that way too. I'd settle for 1,2 and 4 sprinkled in with a little BS.

Comment

Given Houston's need for an OL that can do anything other than fall over when touched by a defender, the eagles knew that he wouldn't last to their pick. Once he fell that far from the top, either the eagles could make a move to jump Houston or they could see who was left at their pick. The trade to move up makes me think they targeted Dillard as the BPA.

Overall I don't see any big deal between any of your options. Is he a talented player that dropped? Is it a position of need? Yes and Yes. So what?

Comment

Best player available is such a non sense term. The fact is the best player available for one team may not be for another. Not every player fits in every scheme. For instance Dillard may not have been the BPA for the Steelers who are more run heavy.

I say he was the best player available that fit the Eagles offense in an area of potential need.
            Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

e60-I've read the two most recent threads and you seem really unnerved by this draft. Why are you so opposed? I apologize for not going back and reading all of the draft chatter but we are now days removed from the draft and you appear to still be simmering. What gives? I wish they had more picks but I'm happy with the results.

Comment

Originally posted by stevemc View Post
                e60-I've read the two most recent threads and you seem really unnerved by this draft. Why are you so opposed? I apologize for not going back and reading all of the draft chatter but we are now days removed from the draft and you appear to still be simmering. What gives? I wish they had more picks but I'm happy with the results.
                Quite the opposite Steve, I loved it! We're just making conversation here. I wish that you would hang around more. I'd appreciate it because there aren't a lot of people starting threads around here anymore.

And Vet I agree with you with the "so what" answer. We all discuss how the organization drafts for weeks before it happens and have thoughts on how they might come to there decisions and how much BS is thrown around. You should know me by now LOL!

Comment

Because perceived value is subjective, I'd have to say 1,2 and 4. Most of what I've read about Dillard is that he's the most polished pass protector in the OL class. And Peters is nearing the end of his storied career

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
                    Well IMM he certainly was BPA. Not sure what a gift from heaven is in the draft but it could be a combo platter of the four things you mention. Fans, nor the media for that matter, have the inside knowledge they sometimes think they have. I said earlier that this draft would tell me what the birds think of V, Mailata, Pryor, et al. Moving up for Dillard did just that. Howie, Pederson, Spadaro and others can say the birds are comfortable with X every day but their actions say they are comfortable with him in a backup role.
                    I'm not sure why you still don't trust Howie. As far as handling the team I am perfectly comfortable although I have a tiny concern when you kick the can down the salary cap road too often. But I haven't seen any team suspended for it yet so oh well. As far as trusting him to tell the truth to the media.....I don't trust any of them to tell the truth to the media (which ultimately is telling the rest of the league).
                    OK, that came out wrong because I really didn't explain myself ND. When he said that Dillard had fallen so far he had to move up and get him because he was so good. I think that is an excellent move too. I'm wondering if he would have moved up for a safety, wr or whatever if he thought that they were top 10 guys? That's all that I meant.

Comment

BPAAAPON imho

Comment

Originally posted by dawkins20 View Post
                        BPAAAPON imho
                        OK, I'll bite. What is it??

Comment

At position of need
                          Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

60, not sure they would've done it for a safety but I think they would've taken a DT or DE if Dillard had been gone and a top ten guy was there. Hell, depending on how they had the safety rated they might have although I don't think safety is terribly high on their priority list. I just think they did a damn good job of setting themselves up to take the best guy by signing guys before the draft.
                            Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                            Hope is not a strategy
                            RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
                              60, not sure they would've done it for a safety but I think they would've taken a DT or DE if Dillard had been gone and a top ten guy was there. Hell, depending on how they had the safety rated they might have although I don't think safety is terribly high on their priority list. I just think they did a damn good job of setting themselves up to take the best guy by signing guys before the draft.
                              They sure did!

Comment

Working...
                              X