Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another reason for BPA

Some questioned the drafting of a wr:

Early in the season the Eagles were getting significant wide receiver snaps from Josh Perkins and Kamar Aiken. Later Jordan Matthews filled the void until Golden Tate joined the fray. Matthews played well enough, but that can’t happen again. With the Arcega-Whiteside selection, the Eagles not only bought themselves an insurance policy but also the potential for a long term solution.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

I hear you but what will that same article be this year? Will it be about auditions during the season for LB?

Comment

Anyone following the birds over the last few years, esp with Howie and Joe D have been either outright told or given plenty of clues as to their thoughts on the draft and on building a team. They want to draft developmental QBs. They want to be able to draft BPA; not just BPA at a position of need. They put their eggs into the OL/DL with most going to T and DE. They try to draft for future years and sign midlevel (maybe not a good term) FAs to fill holes allowing them to do those things. They sign high level FAs when the opportunity, read price/age/contract, presents itself. LBs/RBs are needed but not as much as CBs/TEs/etc and not the place to break the bank.
      Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
      Hope is not a strategy
      RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
        Anyone following the birds over the last few years, esp with Howie and Joe D have been either outright told or given plenty of clues as to their thoughts on the draft and on building a team. They want to draft developmental QBs. They want to be able to draft BPA; not just BPA at a position of need. They put their eggs into the OL/DL with most going to T and DE. They try to draft for future years and sign midlevel (maybe not a good term) FAs to fill holes allowing them to do those things. They sign high level FAs when the opportunity, read price/age/contract, presents itself. LBs/RBs are needed but not as much as CBs/TEs/etc and not the place to break the bank.
        I was just about to write the same thing ND. I'm hoping that we get a BPA at center or linebacker one of these days. Sometimes they are available at the end of the first round where I hope we finish every year. Kelce was homegrown but we had to go out and trade for JP and it has cost us a fortune every year since we did. There has never ever been any kind of hometown discount from him. The Patriots are a good example of BPA. Belichick has never drafted a wr.

The league has finally figured out LB though as 2 were drafted real early this year. It seems to me that you should address the middle before you go anywhere else and those 2 spots seemed to get ignored in the draft in the first round forever. Not Pittsburg though. They traded up from 20 to 10 to get one so there goes the BPA approach. Then again they realize the importance of the position, especially when they lost Shazier. They also drafted Ponce in the first round years ago.

Comment

Its been this way for a very long time here. Even when Andy was here that was more the philosophy. The clues to who they would draft were pretty obvious.

Jason Peters FA 2020 37 years old - Taking Dillard or another OT early was always in the plan. Not necessary Dillard as he was suppose to go higher

Nelson Agholor FA 2020, Alshon making big money, Desean older - WR was always going to be selected in this draft. I expect it in round 2. But not necessary after they took at RB with the first pick

Defensive End/Defensive tackle - They had their starters, they had a quality backup at one end position with Curry and at one DT position with Jernigan. They know that Long won't be back so they needed to add a younger DE or DT or both in this draft. They added both but not the conventional way as they dealt for Ridgeway. This was always going to happen I expected it in round 1 or 2 but 4 and a trade are fine

Safety - This was the one I thought they would address and did not. Now for 2019 its not a huge deal as Sendejo as the third safety is an ungraded over the past two years and the fact that Sullivan played better as the year went on is a good thing. We also can still have Maddox move back there. This will become an issue in 2020 as Malcolm will be 33, McCloud and Sendejo are FA.

I think the RB position was always going to get addressed in this draft, our RB were terrible last year (Mostly due to injury). So getting Howard was huge but a longer term solution along with Howard was needed.
          Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

If Sanders hangs onto the ball he can become the solution. If not we'll be back in the same boat. You simply can't play a fumbler and I've heard that he has a problem with it. I haven't seen him play very much so all that I know about him is what I have read. I do remember that he was a pretty darn good runner though when I did see him a couple of times.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
              If Sanders hangs onto the ball he can become the solution. If not we'll be back in the same boat. You simply can't play a fumbler and I've heard that he has a problem with it. I haven't seen him play very much so all that I know about him is what I have read. I do remember that he was a pretty darn good runner though when I did see him a couple of times.
              He did have 5 fumbles last year. But let’s not forget Brian Westbrook has fumbling issues in college, it’s all things that can be fixed. What can’t fix is the instincts the burst through the whole etc.

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
                He did have 5 fumbles last year. But let’s not forget Brian Westbrook has fumbling issues in college, it’s all things that can be fixed. What can’t fix is the instincts the burst through the whole etc.
                Maybe it can be fixed but it's a lot harder than you think. Ever since Tom Coughlin had Tiki Barber hold the ball weird everybody thinks that it's easy. He wouldn't be the first guy that lost his job over fumbles though. I guess Shady had a problem in college too but didn't once he got to the NFL. I don't know why because he has waved the ball all over the place his whole career but still manages to hold onto it. 5 fumbles a year gets you out of the NFL in a hurry. I don't care how good you are.

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
                  Its been this way for a very long time here. Even when Andy was here that was more the philosophy. The clues to who they would draft were pretty obvious.

Jason Peters FA 2020 37 years old - Taking Dillard or another OT early was always in the plan. Not necessary Dillard as he was suppose to go higher

Nelson Agholor FA 2020, Alshon making big money, Desean older - WR was always going to be selected in this draft. I expect it in round 2. But not necessary after they took at RB with the first pick

Defensive End/Defensive tackle - They had their starters, they had a quality backup at one end position with Curry and at one DT position with Jernigan. They know that Long won't be back so they needed to add a younger DE or DT or both in this draft. They added both but not the conventional way as they dealt for Ridgeway. This was always going to happen I expected it in round 1 or 2 but 4 and a trade are fine

Safety - This was the one I thought they would address and did not. Now for 2019 its not a huge deal as Sendejo as the third safety is an ungraded over the past two years and the fact that Sullivan played better as the year went on is a good thing. We also can still have Maddox move back there. This will become an issue in 2020 as Malcolm will be 33, McCloud and Sendejo are FA.

I think the RB position was always going to get addressed in this draft, our RB were terrible last year (Mostly due to injury). So getting Howard was huge but a longer term solution along with Howard was needed.
                  Eh, for the most part I would say I have to disagree with you.
                  Hope is not a strategy
                  RIP

Comment

Eh, for the most part I would say I have to disagree with you.
                    Which part of it, taking an offensive tackle to replace a 37 year old? Not taking a safety? Taking 3 straight offensive players?

Just curious.

Comment

60 - here are some of the things that I read that gave me pause

Kelce was homegrown but we had to go out and trade for JP and it has cost us a fortune every year since we did. There has never ever been any kind of hometown discount from him.
                      Peters has actually been a pretty good value for many years and he took a big discount this year (He'll be paid $6MM this year which is cheap)

The Patriots are a good example of BPA. Belichick has never drafted a wr.
                      They took a WR in the first round this year.

Comment

This interesting article by SBNation basically singles out Thorsen as having the worst college numbers of any of the 22 draftable QB's this year. But, at least we didn't waste the #6 overall pick on him, because Daniel Jones is 21 out of 22...LOL

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2019/4/...dwayne-haskins

Comment

No, I was surprised Pete played as well last year and really didn't expect him back next year. What I would disagree with is that taking an OT was sure fire. I've said for awhile no one really has the insight into what they thought of V, M, P or moving LJ to LT. It is obvious they like to draft OL to keep dollar figures low but also to find the next great thing. But I certainly don't think it was sure fire and that if Dillard was gone they wouldn't have gone in a different direction.
                          Andy may have had some philosophy but he wasn't married to it by any means. Think Watkins, Carver, et al. He reached at times.
                          Not sure how you can know that they know that Long won't be back. At this point I expect he won't. But had the draft fallen differently I think it is quite possible he would be back. Hell I bet I couldn't find a soul to bet me 12 cents that Jernigan would've been signed this weekend. If they had planned DT early I am certain people would say they knew Jernigan was done.
                          I thought safety would be looked at and posted such earlier. In fact said I wasn't so much concerned about replacing Jenkins as I was McLeod, Sendejo, Graham. My original post wasn't so much about who they drafted but that I see more and more evidence of how they draft or build the team. Not going safety increases my thought that maybe they see the Jenkins/Dawk type guy who they can use in lots of roles but didn't see that guy here.
                          I don't know that RB was obviously going to be taken. Again I think they found Sanders available and went for him because he was BPA at the time or they know they have issues at RB that fans/media don't know. Signing Howard and having Clement further along in recovery could've allowed them to not draft RB. If, in fact, he is further along in recovery which fans nor the media know. Also we don't know Sproles' status although I have advocated moving on from him. Additionally they found Blount, Ajayi available on the market. So I don't know that RB had to be drafted.
                          Sorry for the long post but in closing I will say the draft shows me that they are ready to move on from some people and want points. There are high scoring games now and just off the top of my head I thought there were a couple of games lost last year because they didn't put points on the board.
                          Hope is not a strategy
                          RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Pliny View Post
                            This interesting article by SBNation basically singles out Thorsen as having the worst college numbers of any of the 22 draftable QB's this year. But, at least we didn't waste the #6 overall pick on him, because Daniel Jones is 21 out of 22...LOL

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2019/4/...dwayne-haskins
                            Just gut feeling but I think they wanted Stick. Hopefully, Thorson was just in a bad position and his size/ability will come to light in Philly
                            Hope is not a strategy
                            RIP

Comment

Originally posted by stevemc View Post
                              60 - here are some of the things that I read that gave me pause

Peters has actually been a pretty good value for many years and he took a big discount this year (He'll be paid $6MM this year which is cheap)

They took a WR in the first round this year.
                              Dammit Steve hang around here more often! Talk to me when I post the stuff instead of grabbing it out of context. My God I've blown JP for 15 years around here when everybody else has wanted him cut for the last 6 years. I answered your question that I liked the draft. I wanted the Birds to draft Henderson though but I trust Douglas to know more than me. Geeeseh.

Comment

Working...
                              X