• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Owens catching z's in team meetings

http://www.cowboysplus.com/topstorync/s ... fe4fd.html

T.O. catching some Z's in meetings

09:32 AM CST on Friday, November 3, 2006

By CALVIN WATKINS / The Dallas Morning News

IRVING – Cowboys receiver Terrell Owens is falling asleep in team meetings, most recently on Thursday.

Owens told the Cowboys he had a sleeping problem before he signed with the team in the spring.

"I don't know what it is," Owens said after Thursday's practice. "I've never been diagnosed with it. It's nothing new for me to fall asleep in a meeting. It goes back to my rookie year in San Francisco. My receivers coach [George Stewart] knew I would fall asleep. He thought I was staying up late, and sometimes I did. When I did get to bed early, I would still get to meetings and fall asleep, and it's the same thing here."

Owens said he's not hanging out or staying up late.

He said he works hard studying film and the game plan. He said once he processes the game plan, the meetings and film work become redundant. When lights dim in a quiet room, he dozes off quickly. Owens said he also falls asleep fast on airplanes.

Cowboys owner/general manger Jerry Jones said the team has done its homework on Owens.

"Those are personal health issues, and we all have them in varying ways. I don't say that as though it's something that's irritating at all," said Jones, who said such things aren't discussed with those outside the team.

Owens said he's not making light of the situation, which he said bothers passing game coordinator Todd Haley.

"Todd is a big stickler, and he kind of got offended," Owens said. "That's one of his pet peeves about not sleeping in a meeting. I talked to him one-on-one and said, 'I'm not trying to fall asleep. I've always been like that.' "

Owens once had Stewart, who coaches in Atlanta, call the receivers coach in Philadelphia, David Culley, to tell him about the sleep problems.

"At some point, give me a little vet credit," Owens said. "But I understand [Haley] wants me to be a professional and be a stand-up guy for the younger guys on the team."
    "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
    — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
    - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

How much does it really take to stay awake in a meeting?

He has had "it" since his rookie year, but never saw a doctor or if he did he was told there is nothing wrong with him.

This guy just plain needs mental help!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I saw a quote that read "Terrell Owens is back to his old self now that Tony Romo is playing QB..." and I thought, "Yeah, that lunatic was a happy man in 2004 too..."
      "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
      — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”

Comment

No doubt the Cowboys are still the team to beat in the NFC East despite that blowout by the Saints.

Latest on the Owens watch from the Fort Worth Star Telegram. Just didn't feel like starting another thread, or using using it in the main forum. FWIW keep in mind this is before the Saints game and he dropped another long bomb.

Owens losing his focus with Cowboys
        By MAC ENGEL
        Star-Telegram Staff Writer

IRVING - In an interview aired on ESPN’s Sunday morning NFL Countdown, Cowboys receiver Terrell Owens opened up to friend and former Cowboys receiver Michael Irvin.

Among the topics Owens talked about was his drug overdose, and the fact that Coach Bill Parcells never asked how he was doing.

“I found it very odd that he wouldn’t be concerned," Owens said.

Owens also said that the scrutiny he is under is one of the reasons he isn’t focused on the field and is one of the reasons he has dropped passes.

“I’m not really into it. It’s like I’m almost kind of faking it. ... It was affecting my game,”
        Owens said.

Owens also said that he loves playing with the Cowboys, “despite Bill’s coaching style.”

The Cowboys are playing New Orleans at Texas Stadium Sunday night.
        — Michael Strahan

Comment

It's simple-- the guy is a mental case.

Comment

Latest junk. His paranoia is acting up again. "The snitch" could be Drew Bledsoe, Bill Parcells, the boogey man, or the water boy for all we know. But notice that the "trust and betrayal" theme is coming up again, just like it did in a certain "tell all" book that came out in training camp.

---------------------------------------------------

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16193627/

A snitch among Cowboys, accuses Owens

Dallas receiver upset someone on team is selling him out to media

The Associated Press
            Updated: 7:31 p.m. ET Dec 13, 2006

IRVING, Texas - Terrell Owens really likes being part of the Dallas Cowboys except for one thing: “The Snitch.”

Owens remains upset that someone within the organization has been airing his dirty laundry. It started with a preseason report about him being late to work and continued with the story about a problem that causes him to fall asleep in meetings.

Those things happened earlier this season, but the bitterness lingers. Owens told ESPN in an interview that aired Sunday that he was “faking it” in practice because he was so frustrated, then he explained himself much further in a roughly half-hour interview in front of his locker Wednesday.

Describing his tumultuous early season, which also included a hamstring injury in training camp and a broken hand that led to an “accidental overdose” on painkillers, Owens said: “I just felt like I was out there, just out there. I didn’t feel like I was a part of the team.”

“One of the coaches came to me after one game and I just told him I felt alone in this locker room. That’s how I felt at that time. It was weighing a lot on my mind during the course of the game. My mind really wasn’t clear to play football.”

Now?

“I’m tons better,” he said.

T.O.’s season has followed the same arc as the team’s record. He was mediocre early, then began putting up big numbers when Tony Romo replaced Drew Bledsoe at quarterback, a move that led to a 5-1 streak. Dallas is 8-5 and leading the NFC East going into a game at Atlanta on Saturday night.

“Winning cures a lot of things,” Owens said.

Despite all that’s happened, Owens said he is happy enough that he could envision finishing his career with the Cowboys.

“Oh, yeah, I definitely would,” he said. “Unless somebody knows something I don’t know. ... I mean, I don’t see any reason not to, you know what I mean?”

Well, there is that snitch still lurking.

“Yeah, that’s my main part of frustration,” he said. “It’s like, you want to be part of this team and feel part of it, but it’s hard to do that when you feel like there are guys you feel like you don’t trust. It’s just not happening.”

What bugs Owens the most about the snitching is that he doesn’t think it is so bad to be late or fall asleep in a meeting.

“Those are like petty things, you know what I mean?” he said. “My point is, everybody does it. But it’s when I do it, it’s a big deal. ... Enough is enough, you know what I mean? It gets to a point where it’s like, ‘OK, when does it stop?”’

Although T.O. has a good idea of who is snitching — “This is not a situation where someone is hiding out in the bushes,” he said — he won’t confront the suspect until “the time is right.”

Why not? Especially if it bothers him so much that he told a national TV audience he was tempted to slack off in practice or a game.

“It wouldn’t be nothing but a big distraction,” he said. “I just let it be. ... At this point, it’s not something to really address. Like I said, I kind of have my hunches. But it’s nothing that I’m really dwelling on right now. Just letting it go, trying to play football. That’s it.”

Owens leads the Cowboys with 72 catches for 971 yards and nine touchdowns. With three games left, he’s easily within reach of a seventh 1,000-yard season, could approach his career best of 100 receptions and is one TD shy of most in the NFL. (No wonder his Web site sent e-mails this week asking fans to vote Owens into Pro Bowl, even providing a link to the ballot.)

His stats took a bit of a hit in a 42-17 loss to the New Orleans Saints on Sunday.

Owens caught only three passes for 56 yards, his fewest in both categories during the Romo era. He didn’t have a catch in the first half, reminiscent of when Bledsoe was the starter.

“I feel like I could be a little bit more involved,” Owens said. “But, you know, I don’t call the plays. I just go with the plays that are called.”

Owens said it would be pointless to lobby the coaches for more passes — even though he also made it clear he blames them for the routes being chosen, not the decisions Romo is making where to throw it.

Then again, coaches might not want more plays for No. 81 because he leads the league in dropped passes.

“I’m not Superman,” he said. “I’m human. Michael Jordan doesn’t make every shot. Jerry (Rice) hasn’t caught every pass. Tiger doesn’t make every putt. I understand the expectations of me. People want me to catch every ball. The likelihood of that happening is not going to be great. I understand that.”

While discussing the drops, Owens brought up the snitch again, saying he’s lacked focus sometimes because he “was consumed by a lot of things going on here.”

Another issue Owens raised during his ESPN interview was that Parcells never spoke to him directly about his night in the hospital, which included a police report saying T.O. was depressed and attempted suicide.

“It didn’t hurt my feelings,” Owens said. “I found it odd.”

Parcells refuses to get into discussions about things related to Owens. He dismissed questions about the ESPN interview by saying he didn’t see it and went into a long discourse about the various things that go into drops when that subject came up.

As for Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, he said the “faking it” quote was taken out of context because “he said just the opposite every other word.”

“They took the parts where he was saying the positive things and are going to do that at a later time, and used the negative things for the first time because that didn’t fit what they wanted to do at that time,” Jones said.

© 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
            — Michael Strahan

Comment

what ,,, huh,,,, sorry, I must have dozed off..........

Comment

Working...
              X