The Foles dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Foles dilemma

We are going to hear a ton over the next six weeks about should be keep Foles or should be trade Foles.

First I am solidly in this is Carson's team. No IF and's or Buts about it. Wentz got them there, his play throughout the year up until he got hurt was that of an MVP. He is 5 years younger than Foles.

Foles is a QB who was a top 10 QB in 2013 played pretty well in 2014 before getting hurt then found himself in QB hell with Jeff Fisher. He basically two times found himself in bad situations. Chip Kelly was not interested in continuing to grow Foles not after his power play, he sent him off to QB Siberia with Jeff Fisher. We all know the rest of the story. I think Foles is much closer to the QB in the Super Bowl than he was with the Rams. Yes the Oakland game was Ugly but it was so bitterly cold, neither QB could feel there fingers and thus their throws.

So I think the Eagles realistically have two of the top 20 QB's in football right now A very enviable but also potentially toxic situation.

Carson Wentz will be back next year most likely by Training Camp and then by game one. Now at first I don't expect the es capability that Carson had, that will come with time (Just look at Randall when he first came back). That is where the toxic situation will happen this Fan base will turn on Carson and want Foles it will put undo pressure on this team and a young QB in Carson. Certainly is not the type of pressure a team looking to repeat should go through.

If by chance Carson is not ready by day 1 then keeping Foles seems to make sense to most people, however say Carson isn't ready until game 4, Foles comes out 3-0, Carson comes in and struggles, then what? Yet another toxic situation.

Finally who is to say that Foles doesn't want to be a starter again? Everyone is saying well he was going to retire. Yes that was two years ago and wait for it HE DIDN"T RETIRE, now he has just played an incredible six game stretch that culminated in winning the Super Bowl MVP. I think this would made anyone hungry to start again.

So my conclusion is the only way to keep this team on track to win another Super Bowl is cash in the Foles chip, gain the cap space, gain the draft capital (I still think he is worth the equivalent of a 1st round pick) give Foles his chance to start elsewhere. If Carson is not ready then they should role with Suddfeld. The Eagles felt strongly enough about him to keep in on the roster and keep other teams from signing him.They also should draft another QB this year (most likely in the 4th round).
    Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

As much as I would like to have a backup QB of Foles' caliber I just don't think it happens. I have always thought Foles was closer to the QB he showed in the SB than what he showed with the Rams. That Oakland game is a throwaway IMO because the man had VERY little time and chemistry with the first team. Foles is an NFL QB with the right scheme.
    I also have faith in Sudfield as a backup; mostly because Doug & Co (Reich and Flip) thought pretty well of him. So I am okay with moving Foles along. That is the business side. I would caution though that they may wait until TC to see what develops, much like the Bradford deal. I would love a Carson/Foles run but I just don't think it happens
    As a side note I don't think I draft a QB this year. Too few picks. There are lots and lots of 3rd string guys around that are worth looking at
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

Comment

If Foles wants to go someplace you trade him. If he wants to stay you keep him. You have to remember if you lose him in 2019 you could get a compensatory pick for him. My guess is Arizona for their second or maybe a swap of firsts and Nick gets a multi year extension from the Cards. 4 year $55 million or something.
      You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

IMO the team may just act upon a scenario where they receive a first or second round pick. However, as Foles has successfully shepherded the team to SB victory the team may grant him some input as a show of gratitude and respect.

Comment

ND pretty much nailed this one IMO. Howie's phone will be ringing off the hook soon. The last thing that this team (or any other team for that matter) needs is a QB controversy. I'll bet that Nick does (and should) get traded though they'll do their best to accommodate him much like the Patriots did with Garoppolo. I'm just guessing Arizona because that's close to home for him. Reich might push for him in Minnesota too as all of their QBs are free agents. As nice of a story that this is it is still a business not Sunday school. Sudfeld showed enough that people were screaming for him to start the Atlanta game. Doug gushed about him a couple of times when he was just running the scout team. He will go through a full camp and do nothing but get better. I don't think that they use a high pick on a QB because if they do they pretty much commit themselves to carry 3 QBs but nothing surprises me. Losing our QB coach and OC hurts but we still kept Joe Douglas which should keep the talent flowing for another year anyway. COREY CLEMENT as a FA. Nuff said there.

I think that the swap of picks with Arizona that AW mentioned would be a fair deal too.
          "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

I agree Nick will be traded if he wants the chance to start again. Sudfeld will get the reps and hopefully be good.

Comment

Probably would take a second round pick offer, and also a team that Nick was OK going to -- not sure they would trade him against his will.

March 18 is an interesting day in this -- Foles has a $3 million roster bonus that day. Trade before then, and Eagles save that off their cap. If not, the compensation would probably have to be higher (as Foles would be that much cheaper to the other team).

Comment

I think the Eagles will probably sit down with Foles and do right by him - if somebody just blows their doors down with an offer, both sides will be willing to pull the trigger. Not just for the Eagles’ own sake, but for Foles’!

These guys want the chance to start, and seriously, they’ve got families and a narrow window to make some coin as a pro athlete. I really hate to bring up this example, but even BDawk was willing to leave Philly for his last big payday and an offer that the Eagles couldn’t have matched. It hurt like hell at the time and I think he got lowballed by our FO, but when I saw what Denver was paying him, I thought, “Well, jeez, we were never going to pay him close to that.” Similar stuff with Jeff Garcia.
                "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
                — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
                - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

Glenn Foley was on WIP this morning he thinks that Minnesota is going to go hard after Foles. He thinks that there may be a deal already as Diflippo knew that Reich was most likely going to go to Indy. He best bet to getting to a head coach would have been another year with Carson Wentz vs whats behind door number 2 in Minny. That is unless he brings Foles with him. Foley thinks multiple picks coming our way not neccessarily a 1st but at least a 2nd. Interesting.

Comment

I could see Denver having interest in Foles. They haven’t shown confidence in Lynch. With Nick they have a NFL QB without going thru the rookie QB growing pains. Maybe it gives Lynch the time to develop if he ever does.

Comment

I'd accept 1st or second.

the problem is, I still don't think we get that offered to us

Comment

A second, esp a late one, wouldn't do it for me. I'd push hard for a first and a 4th or 5th but I would accept a 2d and 3rd and maybe a 6th next year.
                        Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                        Hope is not a strategy
                        RIP

Comment

My idea is just a bit different-- and a little riskier.

First off I think they need to give Nick some input and then go from there. I know it's a business but it ain't gonna hurt to have a happy Nick. First off I think if he wants to start and that is his biggest concern -- look for a trade but it must blow us away. second I would start the year with him, and let the season of QB injuries play out and I think our best deal and his (he would then start) our chance for the best possible value would be a team losing it's starter 3, 4 or 5 games into the season. Teams will over pay, IMM.

Or if Nick sez,"look I want to stay here even as just a back up, I love this place, they love me and we can be good for years to come"-- (let's face it NONE of us knows what Nick thinks or feels or how ambitious he really is).

IMM, this solves the problem of the possibility of Wentz needing a bit more time, Also getting the MOST value for Nick, and the worst thing that happens is Nick leaves as a F/A and we get comped. $$$$ can all be worked out.

Comment

Back to value for Nick, I think its a first round equivalent either a first-round pick or the equivalent which would be like a second and third or second a player who we think is worth a third.

If you are Minnesota giving up the 30th pick for Foles makes sense especially since QB is probably your biggest hole. They have the Defense, they have receivers and getting back their running back. Their line could use some work but most importantly if you hire Diflippo its because you want his offense, who better to run it than Foles. That is even better than bringing back Keenum. Kennum ran Shurmer offense, not Diflippo.

I really think Minnesota makes the most sense, I don't think they will have a problem with giving up 30 to get Foles either.

The Eagles simply can not bring back Foles next year its a recipe for disaster for the team, QB controversies divide teams. This team won it all this year because they were a team, cohessive,etc.

Comment

Taz, I respectfully disagree. There are too many possibilities to consider. Minny is probably your chief rival, not sure I want to give them the piece to put them over the top, especially for just a #30. Also I believe that Nick will bring his utmost value during the season as a an injury replacement. And I also think the relationship and the set of circumstances that 2017 was will buy this team time in the "QB controversy" can make for any big distraction. And there are several teams out there with "older" QB's that will need a SB winning QB rather then some untested rook or bench player.

I understand everybody views this differently.

Comment

Working...
                              X