The Foles dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
    My idea is just a bit different-- and a little riskier.

First off I think they need to give Nick some input and then go from there. I know it's a business but it ain't gonna hurt to have a happy Nick. First off I think if he wants to start and that is his biggest concern -- look for a trade but it must blow us away. second I would start the year with him, and let the season of QB injuries play out and I think our best deal and his (he would then start) our chance for the best possible value would be a team losing it's starter 3, 4 or 5 games into the season. Teams will over pay, IMM.

Or if Nick sez,"look I want to stay here even as just a back up, I love this place, they love me and we can be good for years to come"-- (let's face it NONE of us knows what Nick thinks or feels or how ambitious he really is).

IMM, this solves the problem of the possibility of Wentz needing a bit more time, Also getting the MOST value for Nick, and the worst thing that happens is Nick leaves as a F/A and we get comped. $$$$ can all be worked out.
    And don't forget that Sudfeld does have some value too. If Nick really wants to stay we could still get something for him. Planning on a QB getting hurt is a little far fetched though. The Viking situation was almost a freak thing. The only other QB in to get hurt in preseason in recent memory is Sanchez. I think before that it was Lynn Dickey!!! That really was a fluke thing. It takes awhile for QBs to learn an offense mid season. Getting comped for losing Nick isn't the worst thing in the world but we could certainly use more picks next year because we're most likely going to lose a bunch for the 2019 season and we'll be counting on 2018 rookies to replace them. Sydney can be considered a 2018 pick too!
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
      Taz, I respectfully disagree. There are too many possibilities to consider. Minny is probably your chief rival, not sure I want to give them the piece to put them over the top, especially for just a #30. Also I believe that Nick will bring his utmost value during the season as a an injury replacement. And I also think the relationship and the set of circumstances that 2017 was will buy this team time in the "QB controversy" can make for any big distraction. And there are several teams out there with "older" QB's that will need a SB winning QB rather then some untested rook or bench player.

I understand everybody views this differently.
      MD not saying you are wrong but its very rare to see a QB traded mid-season for value, the Garroppolo situation aside. Even that was for a 2nd round pick. Garroppolo is younger than Foles.

I don't see Minny as our chief competitor, I see us as right back to having to get out of our division first. Especially with no cap room and limited draft resources. Repeating is going to be very tough. Having an extra 1st even though its 30 will help immensely.

Plus with Foles going to Minny they can have their stupid Chant back #skol #Foles
      Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Not sure that Minnesota could politically give us another #1 pick for a QB. They also have three candidates they could re-sign (though I seriously doubt it will be Bradford) without giving up significant draft capital.

As a team, they would make sense. Arizona may be looking for a stopgap. If Jacksonville doesn't land a QB in free agency, *maybe* they would pull the trigger. But teams are going to wait to see how free agency shakes out. Bradford and another of the Minny QBs could also be consolation prizes who cost less than Foles. You'd also have to find a GM who believes in Foles, which would also require a good OL, since that is what Foles needs.

Anything is possible, but not sure that Nick would be the first choice of any team right now. The one thing that aids his value is a very cheap contract next year (for a starter). Either they get a viable stopgap cheap, or have leverage for a longer-term deal.

Comment

I can see what you say MD; earlier I said I wouldn't be surprised to see nothing happen until TC. But I also wouldn't be surprised to see MN make a run at Foles, or even Wentz for that matter, now that Flip is there Just don't think anyone can afford Wentz' price.
          The other factor is that, supposedly, Bridgewater is Zimmerman's guy. Most MN fans aren't too keen on relying on Bridgewater's knee so they prefer Keenum. The whole 'who goes where' at QB this off season will be interesting.
          Bottom line for me is that Foles' wishes should go a Loooong way in what they decide but they can't let his wishes impact the future of the franchise.
          Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
          Hope is not a strategy
          RIP

Comment

Working...
          X