Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last year vs now

A Year Ago

Posted: June 18th, 2017 | Author: Tommy Lawlor | Filed under: Philadelphia Eagles | 27 Comments

There is a lot of optimism with the Eagles right now. Carson Wentz just had his two best practices of the spring. The WRs have played well and look to be an incredibly improved unit. The defense has looked outstanding. Rookies Rasul Douglas and Derek Barnett might challenge for starting roles. And Donnie Jones is still around to carry the team on his back if needed.

Is this bogus hype?

That’s a fair question to ask. All 32 teams are feeling good right now. Players are running around in shorts and everyone looks fast. Teams are healthy and the players are happy. They aren’t worn down by long practices in the middle of summer. This is the time for optimism. Everyone sees the glass as half full right now.

I went back and re-read some posts from last June to offer perspective. Things were not ideal.
    ◦Carson Wentz, the #3 QB, was up and down. We were mainly excited that he threw deep more often than Sam Bradford and Chase Daniel.
    ◦Nelson Agholor was struggling. Drops were an issue already.
    ◦Reuben Randle, T.J. Graham and Chris Givens were a mess.
    ◦There was hope that Leodis McKelvin and Nolan Carroll could be solid starters. Oops.
    ◦Eric Rowe was really struggling.
    ◦Josh Huff, like the rest of the receivers, was disappointing.
    ◦There was a buzz that TE Chris Pantale and LB Quentin Gause would make the roster. Neither did.
    ◦Taylor Hart was a DT.
    ◦Myke Tavarres potential existed. Sort of.
    ◦DGB was underachieving for a different team.

I’m not saying the team was a trainwreck last spring. There were some highlights. But there were also some real issues.

The 2017 Eagles are far from perfect, but do feel significantly improved, in terms of talent and performance. I would say Mike Groh has upgraded the coaching staff as well, but we need some more time before we know that for sure.

I think it is okay to feel good about this team right now.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Not sure I agree that this is a very good way to assess a team. Look I could cherry pick comments from last year too, doesn't mean anything IMO. There are both positive and negative comments every year, so IMM this is just another column filler for this time of year.

Now my hopes are that this team is batter than last year... IMM it almost has to be based on the off season moves and some of the things that happened last year. But that said it really is just a hope cause I don't know how all these parts will fit together this year. Hell it changes week to week in the NFL. just look at the 1st three weeks last year and then the rest of the year.... who the hell knows!

The bottom line is that while I like to hear these good reports more than bad reports--- they don't mean squat!

Comment

[QUOTE=MDFAN;307418]Not sure I agree that this is a very good way to assess a team. Look I could cherry pick comments from last year too, doesn't mean anything IMO. There are both positive and negative comments every year, so IMM this is just another column filler for this time of year.

Now my hopes are that this team is batter than last year... IMM it almost has to be based on the off season moves and some of the things that happened last year. But that said it really is just a hope cause I don't know how all these parts will fit together this year. Hell it changes week to week in the NFL. just look at the 1st three weeks last year and then the rest of the year.... who the hell knows!

The bottom line is that while I like to hear these good reports more than bad reports--- they don't mean squat![/QUOTE]

Ain't that the truth? Every year I would leave Bethlehem after Andy's "3 days of hell" camp swearing that we'd win the SB. The truth is that it's hard to tell how good you are scrimmaging yourself.
      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Overall, I'd say there is more talent on the roster then at this time last year. Wentz and Pederson both benefit from having a year under their belt. I feel they had a pretty good offseason. There are still unanswered questions, and there are still some serious concerns at certain positions, but I like what they have done up to this point.

It's good to be optimistic, but this is the Eagles. As noted, we've been fooled before.

Comment

At what positions on this roster do we have top ten talent? I'm good with optimism and I go into every year believing the birds are ready for the trophy. And I fully believe they have some pretty good players. But if I look for top ten kind of guys at their position..... I see maybe Fletcher Cox. Malcolm Jenkins is good but I'm not sure he is a top ten safety. Certainly no one at corner. DE-- maybe Graham will be there but I wouldn't say he is there yet. RB--nope, TE-- its a good group but I'm not sure Ertz is top ten, G/C/T-- Peters may still be top ten and Johnson is probably close but they could also be just outside. Probably not any WRs either although they will be MUCH improved. Finally QB, not yet unfortunately but I hope so after this year.
          Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
          Hope is not a strategy
          RIP

Comment

Working...
          X