Now or later?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now or later?

So we have some real holes that need to be filled--- so do we go after some real talent now via trade --- or --- do we stay with what we got and just pick up some fill-ins for the rest of the year??

I would prefer to see no major moves, unless Howie is able to rob somebody. This is starting to look like one of those lost seasons with all the injuries.

On the other hand, we have some pretty big free agents that probably won't be here (mainly Brandon Graham). It's not like the window is closing. But, prior to getting all the injuries, we looked ready for a run this year.

Comment

It's not like Howie to sit on his hands. He's was working the phones this past week but couldn't swing any deals to his terms but I would't be surprised if we hear something soon. We all know how he loves to wheel and deal. As for having the money I'm sure that they have software for that stuff now to figure things out.
      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

I think you always try to find real talent to fill a hole. In other words if a young RB like Jordan Howard is available and the cost is a 4th round pick you make it. However I am not sure we should be talking about giving up picks for rental players who we won't ever think about resigning.
        Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
          I think you always try to find real talent to fill a hole. In other words if a young RB like Jordan Howard is available and the cost is a 4th round pick you make it. However I am not sure we should be talking about giving up picks for rental players who we won't ever think about resigning.
          This. And just sometimes there are no Ajayi-type deals to be made.

Comment

Sorry, I was kinda trying to find out what the board thinks about about the direction they want to go?

Do we want to go full bore trying to save this season... or ..... save all our resources for next year?

Of course if you can make a great deal on someone who can help now AND in future .... you do it.

Comment

So if you're Howie who do you call to make a deal? I think that the only teams ready to deal are Zona and Oakland. Everybody else is still in the hunt things are so tight. You could say Larry Fitz but they'd never let him go and he doesn't want to leave. I think we're porked.

Comment

stand pat, let people get healthy. Lots of season to be played and the division isn't running away from us. End the season on a high note and don't give up any picks unless a steal of a deal comes along
                We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

I surely don't look to mortgage the future but this season is far from lost. Not at all impressed with some of the things I've seen this year but I really don't think they are that far off mark.
                  JMO but no one is running away with the division yet. Generally, the key is to get to the playoffs then see what happens. So this is an important week. To me they lose this week and they need to concentrate on the future because the possibility of the playoffs are about done.
                  At that point if I am Howie I engage contract talks right now and make a decision whether or not I think I can sign Graham, et al. Only signing or trading for people who can help in the future
                  Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                  Hope is not a strategy
                  RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
                    I surely don't look to mortgage the future but this season is far from lost. Not at all impressed with some of the things I've seen this year but I really don't think they are that far off mark.
                    JMO but no one is running away with the division yet. Generally, the key is to get to the playoffs then see what happens. So this is an important week. To me they lose this week and they need to concentrate on the future because the possibility of the playoffs are about done.
                    At that point if I am Howie I engage contract talks right now and make a decision whether or not I think I can sign Graham, et al. Only signing or trading for people who can help in the future
                    I just don't know how we can compete with the D line so depleted. We've got to bring somebody decent in one way or another. If the guys that we have now are played to exhaustion every week we'll lose more of them.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
                      Sorry, I was kinda trying to find out what the board thinks about about the direction they want to go?

Do we want to go full bore trying to save this season... or ..... save all our resources for next year?

Of course if you can make a great deal on someone who can help now AND in future .... you do it.
                      I am not sure we can save this season, we may improve the team and make the playoffs but I doubt we go very far. I do not think we are one player away. So my vote would be play out the year, regroup and retool in the offseason and go for it again next year.

As long as we have Wentz we should be in it most years. Of course, we need more than him but we should be in it.

Comment

I'm more of the George Allen type but I realize the financial ramifications too. Making the playoffs again is huge if Doug's "this is the new norm" is to be taken seriously and it's important for the team to realize this however the means IMO. We can kick the can down the road again next year by playing with all of those draft picks and make things work.

Comment

I am/was truly looking for some guidance here. I remember AR tried both methods while he had a "star" QB--- and we got close but never the brass ring.

I think I still work backwards--- we have a potentially super star QB--- so IMM the 1st thing that needs to happen is to get the best OL we can. On D IMM the DL is still the #1 positions that help the most. So IMM that needs to be #2 priority.

This OL is a question mark for me. How long will Peters go, Who is the LG that is good enough to protect Wentz, Johnson -- just a bit off this year or was he playing above his head in 17?

IMM, everything needs to be geared to keep Wentz healthy, a good OL and RB's does that.

So I think I worry about the future more than I worry about THIS year.
                          I think this year needs to be about some very tough decisions going forward on both lines and RB.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
                            I am/was truly looking for some guidance here. I remember AR tried both methods while he had a "star" QB--- and we got close but never the brass ring.

I think I still work backwards--- we have a potentially super star QB--- so IMM the 1st thing that needs to happen is to get the best OL we can. On D IMM the DL is still the #1 positions that help the most. So IMM that needs to be #2 priority.

This OL is a question mark for me. How long will Peters go, Who is the LG that is good enough to protect Wentz, Johnson -- just a bit off this year or was he playing above his head in 17?

IMM, everything needs to be geared to keep Wentz healthy, a good OL and RB's does that.

So I think I worry about the future more than I worry about THIS year.
                            I think this year needs to be about some very tough decisions going forward on both lines and RB.
                            MD you are spot on with the offensive line. I think we have some young intriguing players in Pryor and the Australian. However they are going to need to figure out who replaces Peters next year. As for LG Suemolo is actually playing better, he is improving and may turn out to be a good left guard. We still have Wiz who can play there to. I really think it comes down to Peters replacement.

The Defensive line actually concerns me more. I don't think they resign Graham, Long has looked old the last few weeks (probably playing too many snaps) and is probably going to retire. we have a shit show at DT (besides Cox) right now. Not sure if Jernigan ever comes back healthy enough.

RB is an interesting one, I think they can find one or two in the later rounds and they also could pick up a lower priced free agent. Also I am not giving up on Clement or Adams at this point. They are pieces going forward.

Comment

I wouldn't give up anything for a rental.

But I am all for giving up any picks for a player that could be here and be an upgrade for multiple years

Patrick Petersen would have fit that. Not sure anyone else does though. at least that we know about currently. Maybe there is a shocker or two out there?

Comment

Working...
                              X