Not sure I like this trade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
    Thanks for your input on Darby Steve! You're usually spot on. Agholor might have a chip on his shoulder but I'm sure it will fall off and he'll choke on it.
    thought maybe you would say he'll drop it too
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
      thought maybe you would say he'll drop it too
      Same thing lol. GAG!!
      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by dawkins20 View Post

I'm all for upgrading the DB position though. Seemed a steep price and am betting there will be more options we could have gotten and paid less.
        Now, I totally disagree with this. What options are you talking about? Darby is a #1 corner. At worst he's a strong #2, but here, he's going to be the #1. Where else are you going to get someone to fill that position? And, a guy that fits the scheme? And, pay less? Seriously. Darby is the best CB on the roster. I can't believe they got the guy at this stage of the game. Like I said before, ALL HAIL HOWIE. Guys like Darby don't become available very often. The Bills traded for another CB that fits their scheme, and wanted the pick really bad. Oh, and the dude is still playing on his rookie contract.

I think you are going to lose that bet, Dawk.

BGN has a nice article with some film study, take a look.
        https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/...breakdown-tape

Comment

Oh, and there's this little tidbit in the practice notes..

The whole secondary suddenly looks a lot better with Darby in and Robinson not playing the outside. It’s not just Darby. Jalen Mills has stepped up his game and had several pass breakups today. Rasul Douglas is showing promise. C.J. Smith isn’t looking bad. Robinson isn’t looking as much of a liability in the slot. And so on. The increased competition at corner seems to be bringing out the best in everyone.

Comment

I would agree with most of those practice notes except for CJ Smith. He got burned routinely and Undlin was constantly trying to coach him up. Undlin was hyper-focused on him but unfortunately for all the wrong reasons. Again - it's just one day and hopefully Smith was just having a bad one.

Comment

Originally posted by stevemc View Post
              I would agree with most of those practice notes except for CJ Smith. He got burned routinely and Undlin was constantly trying to coach him up. Undlin was hyper-focused on him but unfortunately for all the wrong reasons. Again - it's just one day and hopefully Smith was just having a bad one.
              Hopefully, with Darby, Mills, Brooks, and Robinson all in front of him, CJ won't get burned while sitting on the bench.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebreath View Post
                Hopefully, with Darby, Mills, Brooks, and Robinson all in front of him, CJ won't get burned while sitting on the bench.
                The best part is Sidney Jones is still on the mend and when he is ready then we have a really nice group of DBs.

But being an Eagles fans I have to be alarmed at LB depth. It has to be a priority when all those cuts happen.

Comment

Originally posted by RobLew65 View Post
                  The best part is Sidney Jones is still on the mend and when he is ready then we have a really nice group of DBs.

But being an Eagles fans I have to be alarmed at LB depth. It has to be a priority when all those cuts happen.
                  I just don't see us getting anything from Jones this year Rob. I don't think that a rookie can just come in and play at the end of the season at this level. He'll be much too far behind not only our guys but the whole league. It's not like Jones is Deon Sanders.

Comment

Originally posted by RobLew65 View Post

Especially since with all this talk of Elliots suspension we have a cabana boy beating gun hiding linebacker who could get the same amount of time on a suspension.

That said the linebacker position has some depth this year, I like Gerry a lot, Goode is a solid backup. Most of the time we are in 2 linebackers anyway. Kendricks only plays like 30% of the snaps. In fact if and when Bradham gets suspended Kendricks will most likely slide into the strong side.
                    Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
                      Especially since with all this talk of Elliots suspension we have a cabana boy beating gun hiding linebacker who could get the same amount of time on a suspension.

That said the linebacker position has some depth this year, I like Gerry a lot, Goode is a solid backup. Most of the time we are in 2 linebackers anyway. Kendricks only plays like 30% of the snaps. In fact if and when Bradham gets suspended Kendricks will most likely slide into the strong side.
                      That may be the reason the Birds had no intention of trading Kendricks this season.

Comment

Darby vs. Antonio Brown

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/...own-cornerback

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebreath View Post
                          Oh, and there's this little tidbit in the practice notes..

The whole secondary suddenly looks a lot better with Darby in and Robinson not playing the outside. It’s not just Darby. Jalen Mills has stepped up his game and had several pass breakups today. Rasul Douglas is showing promise. C.J. Smith isn’t looking bad. Robinson isn’t looking as much of a liability in the slot. And so on. The increased competition at corner seems to be bringing out the best in everyone.
                          This is the best part of the trade -- seemed like something similar happened at WR when Jeffery got there. Everyone else was bumped down a notch, so they are now competing for the #2 or #3 spot (lot less pressure), plus also got to see how a #1 is expected to perform so it gives them a level they need to play up to.

I hate giving up Matthews -- not really because he's a great receiver, but he was steady and a favorite target of Wentz, and I would really prefer that Wentz has guys he is comfortable with so he can grow this season. If it takes time to get back to the same level with other WRs, it could cost some development time. I was hoping that Wentz would develop other favorite receivers as the season went on, making Matthews expendable after the season, but now it will have to happen the last three games of preseason.

The lack of a 3rd round pick is also a pretty severe hit, given that we already have no 2nd -- so it hits us harder than some other teams.

But... it is a game-changing acquisition for the defense, to get a real #1 corner and without busting cap. It changes the CB situation dramatically, which is entirely different than trading Matthews for say a 4th round pick like many of the rumors had been.

Comment

Working...
                          X