Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lmao.

This ain't HS.

The only thing that motivates NFL players IS money and their own motivation and professionalism.

Comment

My ass. Spoken like a true person that buys his way. If all it was is money you could easily buy it. You give no credit to leadership.
      Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
      Hope is not a strategy
      RIP

Comment

Funny, like you know me at all but you decide how I go through life? What a joke.

Fine you wanna believe that coaches still make Knute Rockne speeches have it your way along with the tooth fairy and Easter Bunny.

Didn't include Santa cause we all know he is real.

These guys play for money, they play for their family, they play for their ego they play for their props amongst their fellow team members, they play for their own professionalism. And yeah some guys respond better to some coaches then others, but that is way down the list. And all coaches can do is show them the right way, practice the right way, put them in the best position they can----- but when all is said and done THEY HAVE TO EXECUTE. Them. Not the coaches, not their dads, not their college coaches --- they have to make the catch, they have to make the tackle, they have to make the pass, they have to make the kick ---- that is how they execute what they have been taught.

That's why it's the players responsibility to EXECUTE! And that is what I said in response to Rspurr who asked the question!

So yes I think players are motivated to play well by a whole list of things --- and money is close to the top of that list and their coach is more toward the bottom.

Comment

All well and good but in football, 11 players must execute together, in unison, much like an orchestra. The coach (or a QB like Manning or Brady) is the conductor and ultimately responsible for the performance. It's too simplistic to say its about execution.
          Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

MD is right, execution is HUGE. And the coach is responsible for how his team executes. (Or he won't be the coach for long)
            http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by rspurr View Post
              All well and good but in football, 11 players must execute together, in unison, much like an orchestra. The coach (or a QB like Manning or Brady) is the conductor and ultimately responsible for the performance. It's too simplistic to say its about execution.
              For about the 2 millionth time I have never ever said it's ALL about execution ....... But it IS the biggest factor that goes into W's and L's. (Generally)

Sheesh.

Comment

Oh hell I'll take the bait and disagree. If execution matters for 75%, players wouldn't be watching tape and coaches surely wouldn't be ridiculously paid to spend nights sleeping on a couch in their office.

Comment

I don't think the real issue is whether or how much execution matters. The bigger question to me is....who is responsible for the execution?

If a player doesn't execute HIS responsibilties, he will get cut.

If the team in general fails to execute, then the coach gets shit-canned.

Micro-macro. On the bigger scale, it's the coach's baby.

*Andy Reid is not in Philly any more not because Nate Allen didn't execute. He's gone because his TEAM didnt execute.
                  http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Why even debate this? Both players and coaches are always responsible for the blame. It is a matter of degree - which changes on the circumstances and cannot be quantified.
                    So, just put the matter to rest.

I don't know about others on this board, but I am tired of hearing about it.
                    "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

Originally posted by fly View Post
                      Oh hell I'll take the bait and disagree. If execution matters for 75%, players wouldn't be watching tape and coaches surely wouldn't be ridiculously paid to spend nights sleeping on a couch in their office.
                      Fly it wasn't meant as bait, just my own quantification, IMM.

But to your point, please explain to me how any thing is MORE important then the actual execution of a play, a block, a pass etc? If Vince L himself makes you practice the same play all week 100 times over and when the game comes around is that more important than the players themselves actually making the play? Of course not. So there is nothing more important, IMM, then the actual play made by the players on an individual level and group level, not the play call or the coaches prep.

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH View Post
                        I don't think the real issue is whether or how much execution matters. The bigger question to me is....who is responsible for the execution?

If a player doesn't execute HIS responsibilties, he will get cut.

If the team in general fails to execute, then the coach gets shit-canned.

Micro-macro. On the bigger scale, it's the coach's baby.

*Andy Reid is not in Philly any more not because Nate Allen didn't execute. He's gone because his TEAM didnt execute.
                        Fine, since this is your fallback position..... no need to talk about anything else except the "big picture" and the buck stops here.

Comment

there's just way too much involved in each football play to have anything cut and dry. If 10 of 11 guys do everything in their power to be perfect and one big assed DE gets to the QB, the play is a bust. If 2 of 11 do everything right and a skill player makes a great play it can be a success. I saw shitty play calling, WR/QB miscommunication,poor throws, dropped passes , stupid kick off strategy,poor officiating, and the defense get manhandled,. In short it was a shit day to be an EAGLE. They were lucky the team bus didn't run anyone over and the plane had all its wheels when it landed.
                          We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Working...
                          X