• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maclin full of crap

Jeremy Maclin: 'Wasn't about the money'

March, 27, 2015

By Phil Sheridan | ESPN.com

PHILADELPHIA -- Jeremy Maclin doesn’t have to make any excuses or give any explanations. He was a free agent who chose to exercise the freedom implied in that designation. No problem.

But Maclin told the Philadelphia Inquirer Thursday that his decision to sign with Kansas City wasn’t about money. And that strains his credibility more than just a bit.

"It wasn't really about money," Maclin said at a charity event sponsored by Todd Herremans, another former Eagle. "Obviously you want to get paid because of all the stuff that you do. But it wasn't necessarily about who could pay me the most money."

Eagles head coach Chip Kelly said the team had every intention of signing Maclin.

“We didn’t think there was another receiver in that price range in free agency,” Kelly said. “We were trying to get Mac back. Felt we gave him a real competitive offer. Kansas City offered him a lot more than we did. We just weren’t going to go that high.”

The Chiefs signed Maclin for $55 million over five years, including $22.5 million guaranteed. In Kansas City, Maclin will be reunited with Andy Reid, the coach who drafted him in the first round in Philadelphia.

But Maclin not only maintained that his decision wasn’t based on money, but he also wanted to play for Kelly.

“I still believe in Chip," Maclin told the Inquirer. "I think Chip's going to do great things here. I have the utmost respect for him. Unfortunately, we couldn't get something worked out. But at the end of the day I'm very excited about playing for Kansas City and playing for Big Red."

Something doesn’t quite line up there. Again, Maclin doesn’t have to explain anything. But if money wasn’t the determining factor and he still believes in Kelly, who’s “going to do great things” in the NFL, then it seems pretty obvious that Maclin should still be an Eagle.

He isn’t. By remarkable coincidence, Maclin signed with the team that offered the most money.

No one’s blaming him for that. It would just be more honest to come out and acknowledge the obvious
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

It's always about the money........................
    Last edited by MDFAN; 03-28-2015, 07:47 PM.

Comment

I have new respect for Ndamukong Suh. He's the only player who's actually come out and said it was about the money.
      Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

Gotta cry BULLSHIT on that one. If the reports that the difference was 1 mill are correct, then he should have accepted the Birds offer. Unless of course it really was about the money.
        We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Maclin is one of few that I would actually give a pass on this. There were legit other reasons why he would have interest in KC....BESIDES money. He got the money, too, but he is back in Mizzou, and he is back with Big Red. Mac did admit that he wanted to get "paid", but there were numerous motivations. He really hit the jackpot all the way around.
          http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

It is about the money but reuniting with Reid close to home mattered too I think. I get it.
            You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

It was all about the dollars. The Eagles best offer was around 48 mill for 5 yrs, while the Chiefs gave him 55 over 5. 7 million dollars is 7 million dollars. Plus I believe the guarantees were about 5 million more with the Chiefs.
              Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Originally posted by rspurr View Post
                I have new respect for Ndamukong Suh. He's the only player who's actually come out and said it was about the money.
                Sort of. I made fun of what he said on my FB page. Yes, he said it was about the money, but he threw in that he "really really wanted to stay in Detroit, but had to do what was right for his family." Yeah, I guess...if by "his family" he means his bank account, his wallet, and his piggy bank.

Comment

Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal View Post
                  Sort of. I made fun of what he said on my FB page. Yes, he said it was about the money, but he threw in that he "really really wanted to stay in Detroit, but had to do what was right for his family." Yeah, I guess...if by "his family" he means his bank account, his wallet, and his piggy bank.
                  He did come out and say that he wanted to be the highest paid non quarterback in the league before FA started so he made no bones about what his intentions were. We all know the feed my family line is the biggest joke ever. I know it's just an expression but give me a break.
                  "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Working...
                  X