Interesting stuff on Philly.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting stuff on Philly.com

Some really interesting stuff in here...

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...html?viewAll=y

As we all know, but always interesting to here they actually say it...

"You don't want to get into a situation where a lot of teams have, to go back to ground zero and start from scratch and come back up," Roseman said. "We've always thought we could retool this on the fly. Find guys that we thought maybe didn't have a lot of time left, and replace them with guys that kind of fill similar roles - good players. Do that instead of taking a year on the chin."

Comment

As I think all of us agree, this is very smart...

Think about recent Eagles rosters. How many former starters have hung on as backups? It's not the way the franchise does business. Backup roles are for the up-and-comers, with a rare spot saved for a special-teams ace such as former Eagles linebacker Ike Reese. If Eagles players often take their time getting to the top of the mountain, there is no gentle descent.

Comment

Great quote. Lito Sheppard anyone?

"When they call me with a trade, I always pause," said New York Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum. "They're so good at evaluating their 'out' door, their exit door."

Comment

Interesting...

In the decade before this off-season, the Eagles saw 12 of their Pro Bowl players leave by various means, most by the choice of the Eagles. Only two, Brian Dawkins and Terrell Owens, went to another Pro Bowl.

Comment

What's funny is that they say it precisely when most think it's a rebuilding year -- probably to keep optimism and interest in the team high.

This is the approach the Eagles have had the entire Reid era: no rebuilding, just retooling. I thought it would take a disaster for them to rebuild but it turns out all it took were two embarrassing loses to the Cowpokes.

Yeah, the Eagles haven't cleaned out the roster like Detroit has with Matt Millens stewardship -- so maybe it's not that drastic of a rebuilding -- but to me, it is a rebuilding. Not complaining - i'm all for rebuilding if it'll take us to the promised land. I like our youth and hope they can turn into a collective unit that works well together and peaks at the right time.

Comment

Interesting...

"I know people were upset by what happened to Brian," Runyan said. "By the same light, do you want to try to get two or three more players for down the road for the same amount of money?

"Not a knock on Brian, but he'd been hurt the previous three seasons - things like Achilles tendons," Runyan added. "Do you really want to take a chance on him being there week in and week out?"

Comment

Welbourn was a complete douche-bag when this went down. Interesting to see he realizes that in hind-sight...

Welbourn reflects

Within the locker room, it is often difficult to separate football decisions from financial decisions. Many veteran Eagles see it in shades of gray, some more in black and white.

"If they could save a dollar, they would do it," former Eagles offensive lineman John Welbourn said of the team's personnel decisions. "If they could do it one dollar cheaper, they would do it."

Welbourn added, however, that he gained perspective about life in the NFL after he left the Eagles.

"Some of the teams were a hell of a lot worse," Welbourn said of making personnel decisions based on finances, and just taking care of players in general. "The Chiefs were worse, and the Patriots were worse beyond that. At least in Philly they took care of the players. At least they were thinking about a return on investment. Like, the Eagles have a nice cafeteria. The Chiefs, there would be some cold cuts and some bread. They closed the weight room a week before the season ended. At least everything the Eagles did was first class. I got traded to a way worse place. I was in Russia, and they sent me to Siberia."

Eagles fans may recall that Welbourn basically booked his own ticket out after publicly expressing his unhappiness with his contract.

"It was Andy Reid who made the decision," Welbourn said. "We had a falling out. I probably handled things badly."

"Did [Welbourn] tell you that I told him for two years to keep his mouth shut?" Runyan asked.
                After one season as a starter, Welbourn had agreed to an eight-year, $13 million contract extension with the Eagles before the 2001 season. Nobody forced him to sign it, and by 2004, he was acting out, trying to get traded. His agent had warned Welbourn when he signed the deal that four years down the road he would be underpaid, but he went for the instant security. Looking back now, Welbourn said, "Nobody tricked me to go play."

Welbourn also said something about the Eagles that he probably wouldn't have said then.

"I think it's a great organization. All these teams are a business; they are valued every year. Winning is equal to dollar signs. The more games you win, the more shirts you sell, the more Monday night games you get. . . . Life is fast and these guys are in a business. The coaches, they are under as much pressure as anybody."

Comment

"I know people were upset by what happened to Brian," Runyan said. "By the same light, do you want to try to get two or three more players for down the road for the same amount of money?

"Not a knock on Brian, but he'd been hurt the previous three seasons - things like Achilles tendons," Runyan added. "Do you really want to take a chance on him being there week in and week out?"

Man, Runyun is a warrior but he's kind of an asshole. Specifically when he chalked Andrews depression up to basically being a pussy. Come on man, just shut up and support your teammates.
                  Last edited by sfphillyfan; 07-24-2010, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Interesting...

Birds detail salary structure

Free agents coming in, and their agents, generally say the Eagles are typically more up-front than most NFL teams in outlining their salary structures. Veterans arriving probably have a better understanding of the endgame than the young guys starting out in the organization.

"The Eagles have made it known they have a very systematic way of determining the market value of certain players," said former Eagles linebacker Shawn Barber. He added that the Eagles took time to explain in broad terms how their mathematical formula worked, starting with looking at the top five players by salary at given positions.

Barber, who played for the Eagles in 2002 and again in 2006, also understood that linebacker wasn't a position at the top of the Eagles' salary priorities.

"If you're playing one of those formula positions, eventually, unless you just want to be an Eagle, you're going to have to go somewhere else," Barber said of how the Eagles judge positions on different tiers.

"There are positions like cornerback or quarterback or rush ends, you can't find them. Those are some special guys. My position, that was just one of the positions, you don't step outside the box. You can get that guy as easily as they found me. The thing I credit the Eagles [with], they took time to explain to me their formula, their way of thinking. Most teams don't do that. Their offer is their offer."

Comment

Thanks for posting. It was a pretty interesting read, IMO. Welbourne's quotes were interesting as was runyan's in regards to welbourne.

Comment

Originally posted by ThoughtProcess View Post
                        Thanks for posting. It was a pretty interesting read, IMO. Welbourne's quotes were interesting as was runyan's in regards to welbourne.
                        I also don't mind him calling Andrews a pussy. If he worked along side this (IMO POS) he would know.I actually liked the story,it supports what most have been saying here for a while.
                        We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

That is some fascinating stuff.

Particularly the Barber piece. They basically told him up front that players like him are a dime a dozen and so we will pay you X. So Banner is a hard ass, but at least he shoots straight.
                          Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Originally posted by sfphillyfan View Post
                            What's funny is that they say it precisely when most think it's a rebuilding year -- probably to keep optimism and interest in the team high.

This is the approach the Eagles have had the entire Reid era: no rebuilding, just retooling. I thought it would take a disaster for them to rebuild but it turns out all it took were two embarrassing loses to the Cowpokes.

Yeah, the Eagles haven't cleaned out the roster like Detroit has with Matt Millens stewardship -- so maybe it's not that drastic of a rebuilding -- but to me, it is a rebuilding. Not complaining - i'm all for rebuilding if it'll take us to the promised land. I like our youth and hope they can turn into a collective unit that works well together and peaks at the right time.
                            But its not rebuilding....as they say in the article this transition process started 3-4 years ago and this off-season was merely the final steps, letting go McNabb and Westbrook.

The Dallas losses mean little in the total scheme of things just like our blowout of Dallas the year before to end the season didn't.

Its never one, two or three games...its too small of a sample to make sound decisions on. They evaluate the season or seasons based on analysis of each game and the plan continues to move forward
                            Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Originally posted by sfphillyfan View Post

Man, Runyun is a warrior but he's kind of an asshole. Specifically when he chalked Andrews depression up to basically being a pussy. Come on man, just shut up and support your teammates.
                              I disagree....Runyan is one of the few players who actually get how the NFL works and is secure enough to speak about it.

He's dead right about Dawk and Welbourn in this article....and about the Eagles approach in general.

I always liked his honesty; part of leadership is not supporting your teammate when they are being an idiot, but telling them to STFU and do whatever the team needs them to do for the good of the group.

I did not read Runyan's comments on Andrews so I cannot comment
                              Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Working...
                              X