Interesting stuff on Philly.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vote for Kalas View Post
    I disagree....Runyan is one of the few players who actually get how the NFL works and is secure enough to speak about it.

He's dead right about Dawk and Welbourn in this article....and about the Eagles approach in general.

I always liked his honesty; part of leadership is not supporting your teammate when they are being an idiot, but telling them to STFU and do whatever the team needs them to do for the good of the group.

I did not read Runyan's comments on Andrews so I cannot comment
    Totally agree. One of the few guys that I thought even while playing was pretty straight up. Give me 5 Jon's on the line of scrimmage and you wouldn't lose a game due to lack of offense.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonard Tose View Post
      So Banner is a hard ass, but at least he shoots straight.
      Can't be, he is a weasel according to some.

I've always believed that this F/O is the best we have ever had here. They know it's a business and they play both the business side and the football side to try and produce the best product within the business confines.

They have had a plan and they stick to it for the most part and it has worked for a long time now. Unless of course the only thing that matters to you is the SB.

Disclaimer -- this is not bait. My intent is to show my support for the way this front office has run this team and to point out that not all people feel this way.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post

I've always believed that this F/O is the best we have ever had here. They know it's a business and they play both the business side and the football side to try and produce the best product within the business confines.

They have had a plan and they stick to it for the most part and it has worked for a long time now. Unless of course the only thing that matters to you is the SB.

Disclaimer -- this is not bait. My intent is to show my support for the way this front office has run this team and to point out that not all people feel this way.

What he said.
        Stand for the flag you assholes!

Eagles, Flyers Phillies fan since 1977. GO O'S!!

Comment

I liked everything written and am glad to see people realize the birds are a good org; even if it is after the fact. People yip and bitch but they don't know all the facts, they aren't in the meetings when things are hashed out. Here Barber tells you tat the birds are up front about the structure. You may or may not like the structure but they are up front about it. And anyone taking it should damn well be satisfied, if not happy, about it. They can tell you that you may make an extra buck over there but we have top notch facilities, we are going to treat you right. Guys like Welbourne, and Dawk to an extent, don't realize how good they have it until the see the other side.
          Are the birds perfect--not by a long shot. But I bet they're much closer than 90% of the other teams.
          Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
          Hope is not a strategy
          RIP

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
            I actually liked the story,it supports what most have been saying here for a while.
            They are who we thought they were.

Banner comes off as businesslike and very bottom-line oriented, but straighforward in his dealings with players and agents. The honesty/transparency seems to be appreciated by most who deal with him. AR again comes off as a very decent guy...which has always been my sense, even if I don't like some of his decisions.

Interesting how Welborne, who was very outspoken in his criticism, has really moderated his view.

Comment

At least the Weasel has the good sense to admit that he failed in the Dawkins negotiations..or as he termed it "We just didn't successfully do it" .... What a politician ! LOL!

Where I really disagree with him in this segment is in his expressed views about leadership and emotion. It is part of why there is a big disconnect betweeen fans and the rodent.

But since this is all over and done with, and the exodus of the old guard has come to pass, I am chiefly concerned with our talent evaluators and scouting dept. hopefully they are identifying not only talent, but character and leadership superior to what we have lost.
              http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

"I liked everything written and am glad to see people realize the birds are a good org; even if it is after the fact."

Perfect! Seems a lot of people want to and do take the players sides in a lot of these things. They want to believe the worst about Banner and the F/O. But here we learn that in fact all the bullshit the media and some fans have been shoveling is just that ------------- crap.

God this was a breath of fresh air. Bur I'm sure some will still echo the old cliche's "they are cheap" -- "they don't want top win" -- "they treat players like crap". And I'm sure the names will also continue.
                Maybe that weasel term really doesn't apply, just like the cheap label doesn't.

Comment

I found the following interesting:

"The Eagles have made it known they have a very systematic way of determining the market value of certain players," said former Eagles linebacker Shawn Barber. He added that the Eagles took time to explain in broad terms how their mathematical formula worked, starting with looking at the top five players by salary at given positions.

Barber, who played for the Eagles in 2002 and again in 2006, also understood that linebacker wasn't a position at the top of the Eagles' salary priorities.

"If you're playing one of those formula positions, eventually, unless you just want to be an Eagle, you're going to have to go somewhere else," Barber said of how the Eagles judge positions on different tiers.

"There are positions like cornerback or quarterback or rush ends, you can't find them. Those are some special guys. My position, that was just one of the positions, you don't step outside the box. You can get that guy as easily as they found me. The thing I credit the Eagles [with], they took time to explain to me their formula, their way of thinking. Most teams don't do that. Their offer is their offer."

Maybe this is why they have so much of a problem finding LBs.
                  "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

"I liked everything written and am glad to see people realize the birds are a good org; even if it is after the fact."

Perfect! Seems a lot of people want to and do take the players sides in a lot of these things. They want to believe the worst about Banner and the F/O. But here we learn that in fact all the bullshit the media and some fans have been shoveling is just that ------------- crap.

God this was a breath of fresh air. Bur I'm sure some will still echo the old cliche's "they are cheap" -- "they don't want top win" -- "they treat players like crap". And I'm sure the names will also continue.
                    Maybe that weasel term really doesn't apply, just like the cheap label doesn't.
                    As for Banner, what nickname would you give him MD? What do you call a guy who almost never tells the truth? Now I'll admit that he is usually in a position where it is tough to be totally honest, but the guy does rub just about anybody that he's ever met the wrong way.
                    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Well, the Super Bowl is important. They've got to win one or this ownership/management group will be perceived as organization that was able to build winning teams, but not championship ones.
                      Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Originally posted by Vote for Kalas View Post
                        But its not rebuilding....as they say in the article this transition process started 3-4 years ago and this off-season was merely the final steps, letting go McNabb and Westbrook.

The Dallas losses mean little in the total scheme of things just like our blowout of Dallas the year before to end the season didn't.

Its never one, two or three games...its too small of a sample to make sound decisions on. They evaluate the season or seasons based on analysis of each game and the plan continues to move forward

You act as if the Eagles have this master plan like the old Soviet 5-year plans that they stick to through thick or thin. Hogwash. They are caught flatfooted plenty of times and have to make decisions on the fly, just like any organization.

Just look at right cornerback and the way this year's draft fell. They weren't able to get any of the top CB targets and now have a giant question mark there.

Or the Dawk thing. Whatever they say about Dawk after the fact, they were totally surprised by Denver coming in with big money for Dawk. They did not have an adequate replacement for him last year (and I dont want to hear any crap about how Demps was the guy), and they paid a stiff price on the defense last season.

And let's not kid ourselves about those two Dallas losses. Those losses helped push McNabb out the door, IMO.
                        Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

The McNabb Trade(excerpt):

Full Story: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...html?viewAll=y

For most of March, while all of Philadelphia argued about whether Donovan McNabb should remain as the Eagles' quarterback, while coach Andy Reid stood by McNabb as his man for 2010, few people knew the truth.
                          The Eagles' decision-makers had already decided to trade McNabb, the face of the franchise for the last 11 years.
                          Very early that month, inside the NovaCare Complex in a conference room connected to Reid's office, the core four - Reid, team president Joe Banner, general manager Howie Roseman, and owner Jeffrey Lurie - met to finalize their decision, to talk strategy.
                          Reid sat at the head of the oval-shaped table. Banner took his usual place to Reid's right and Roseman sat to Reid's left, across from Banner. Lurie was next to Banner, farthest away from the coach. The usual seating chart for these kinds of meetings, according to Banner.
                          They weren't going to announce it to the world - or even tell McNabb, not yet - but the Eagles' brass had already concluded they were ready to look to the next decade. They'd had so many discussions in smaller groups that their decision to trade McNabb felt inevitable.
                          "The crux of the decision, and I think everybody [involved in the decision] would describe it the same way," Banner said, "[was that] we have two quarterbacks who are very good, we think . . . capable of winning a Super Bowl - I understand that needs to be proven. Donovan didn't do it. Kevin hasn't even tried yet. But at that point, it really became [a question of] one of them has a chance to lead us for the next eight to 10 years . . . one, who knows? One year? Four years? But a considerably shorter time."
                          The men already had posed a range of questions they deemed crucial:
                          Are we giving up a chance to win the Super Bowl this year? Are we right there if we wait another year?
                          Do we really have to go in one direction or the other right now?
                          If we keep McNabb, do we let him play one year? If we keep Kolb, can we leave him in the last year of his contract?

Comment

Not sure whether to believe that report word for word or not, but the ending segment makes it sound like theye were still bouncing around a lot of possibilties.
                            http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Working...
                            X