Teams already calling about Asante Samuel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teams already calling about Asante Samuel

Per Jeff McLane, the Eagles have already received calls from teams interested in trading for Asante Samuel.

I'll take Patrick Willis if the Niners call, or Nick Mangold if the Jets call.
    Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Patrick Willis....
      FRESH > cancer

I hate everything the Cowboys stand for. If you think they are America's team, then you support everything that is wrong with America. The excess, the greed, the lack of maturity, the lack of responsibility, the lack of control. - Luzinski's Gut

Comment

Originally posted by Blitz View Post
        Patrick Willis....
        Then we all would be singing dream team! I don't think the niners will ever part with Willis.
        "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

7/30/11 Update...

Jeff McLane of the Philadelphia Inquirer reports that the Eagles are already receiving trade inquiries about Asante Samuel.

NFL Network's Mike Lombardi reported late Friday that the Eagles would field all offers. Samuel's agent, Alonza Shavers, has also been outspokenly against his client moving into a third cornerback role following the offseason additions of Nnamdi Asomugha and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. Because Samuel's salaries are so pricey, it will be difficult to get a high pick back.

Comment

I'd rather they keep him if they can make it work. You simply cannot have too many good corners in this league, and people, as we know as well as anyone, get hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal View Post
              7/30/11 Update...
              I don't know who the hell Jeff McClure is, but I do know he's full of shit. What's his salary have to do with what kind of pick they get? Unless they get a great LB for him I say keep him anyway. And if he and his agent keep mouthing off they can fine his ass (if they can find it).

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                I don't know who the hell Jeff McClure is, but I do know he's full of shit. What's his salary have to do with what kind of pick they get? Unless they get a great LB for him I say keep him anyway. And if he and his agent keep mouthing off they can fine his ass (if they can find it).
                The lower the salary, the easier to fit under caps, the more teams would be bidding, etc.

Sal Paolantonio reported earlier today to say that Samuel called Reid after the Nnamdi signing and asked not to be traded... he wanted to stay. DRC said he'd play slot, so long as he was competing. We'll see if the tune changes, but if the three of them want to find a way to make it work, and we can fit them under the cap (after DJax)... damn that'd be interesting. Maybe trade Samuel before next draft.

Comment

Originally posted by FairOaks View Post
                  The lower the salary, the easier to fit under caps, the more teams would be bidding, etc.

Sal Paolantonio reported earlier today to say that Samuel called Reid after the Nnamdi signing and asked not to be traded... he wanted to stay. DRC said he'd play slot, so long as he was competing. We'll see if the tune changes, but if the three of them want to find a way to make it work, and we can fit them under the cap (after DJax)... damn that'd be interesting. Maybe trade Samuel before next draft.
                  Gee Asante, if you would really like to play for the Eagles don't you think that it might help your case to show up?

Comment

If we do move him it better be to the afc. Although I wonder if carolina would trade us one of their linebackers or even Jonathan Stewart?

Comment

Originally posted by dawkins20 View Post
                      If we do move him it better be to the afc. Although I wonder if carolina would trade us one of their linebackers or even Jonathan Stewart?
                      Here you go!

Citing a league source, the Charlotte Observer reports that the Panthers are interested in trading for Asante Samuel.

The connection is obvious because Sean McDermott, new Panthers defensive coordinator, held the same role in Philly last year. McDermott has been collecting former Eagles, including LB Omar Gaither and S Sean Considine. If any team can take on Samuel's large base salaries and cap numbers, it's the Panthers, even after they re-signed so many of their pending free agents. Carolina also has a need at the position after losing Richard Marshall.

Comment

http://articles.philly.com/2011-07-3...-asante-samuel

Eagles' Samuel doesn't want to be traded
                        July 30, 2011|By Jeff McLane, INQUIRER STAFF WRITER

BETHLEHEM, Pa. - Whether Asante Samuel wants to be traded or not - and he does not, according to his agent - the Eagles have already fielded calls from teams looking to acquire the Pro Bowl cornerback, NFL sources said.

Likely the third wheel in the Eagles cornerback triumvirate, Samuel has been rumored to be on the block after the blockbuster acquisition that netted the Eagles Nnamdi Asomugha on Friday and the trade that brought Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie to Philadelphia the day before.

The Eagles have said they're keeping all three - "right now." A league source with knowledge of the team's thinking, however, said a "great" trade offer could change the Eagles' minds. If Samuel is available the Carolina Panthers - where former Eagles defensive coordinator Sean McDermott now coaches - would be interested, according to the Charlotte Observer.

"I'm not moving forward on that," Eagles coach Andy Reid said Saturday. "I'm sitting here with three guys. I know that's workable because we've done it before. So that's where I'm at."

In the early 2000's, Reid had starters Troy Vincent, Bobby Taylor and another starting-caliber corner in Al Harris. He eventually traded Harris to Green Bay. And then in 2008, starter Lito Sheppard went to the bench after the newly acquired Asante Samuel started alongside Sheldon Brown. Sheppard was dealt a year later.

Both those crowded situations were a little different, though, because Samuel is seemingly at the top of the game while Harris was budding and Sheppard was on the decline.

Samuel's agent, Alonzo Shavers, said that the Eagles have not told his client that he will be traded. Samuel has not been in camp because of a personal issue. His absence has been excused.

"Asante is still an Eagle," Shavers said. "I do not want anyone to get confused because he's been absent. The Eagles obviously went out and wanted to get a big name in Nnamdi. But we'll see how things go when Asante gets into camp and practices."

Shavers said Samuel should report in the next few days.
                        Dealing Samuel could be difficult because the Eagles may not have much leverage. Plus, his salary would force teams to take a more than a $9 million cap hit this season.

Samuel, who has been with his family in Florida, was initially confused by the Eagles decision to sign Asomugha, Shavers said. But the agent said that Samuel, who has been to four straight Pro Bowls, wants to get into camp and compete.

Comment

Can we get their #1 pick and Jeff Otah for him?

Kidding.

How friggin awesome would it be if they traded Asante, then signed Cromartie for less money and got the draft pick.
                          You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

At this point, I think Asante for Steve Smith and a 3rd round pick from the Panthers would be OK for me because Maclin REALLY concerns me and DJax needs to get to camp also.
                            You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post
                              At this point, I think Asante for Steve Smith and a 3rd round pick from the Panthers would be OK for me because Maclin REALLY concerns me and DJax needs to get to camp also.
                              Better yet, keep them both. It would be worth the price of admission to see Steve Smith punch out Asante by day 3 of training camp.

Comment

Working...
                              X