No announcement yet.

As the Eagles Turn Weekend Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There must be something quite ugly beneath all of this if the team would consider cutting him in the absence of a trade. Can't just be his personality.

Comment

I also wondered if Mehta's sources were linked to the Jets somehow. The Jets could be trying to drive down the Eagles asking price further. If teams think he'll be cut, they'd wait out the Eagles hoping for an even more drastically reduced draft pick price or an outright release.

Comment

He won't get traded because nobody is going to give him $10 million.
        "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

I don't see him getting cut, you may as well let his contract expire and let him become a FA and at least get a comp pick. Let him go for free and he won't last 5 minutes. I dislike the little shit, but there is no arguing that he brings a lot to this offense. The minute you have Evans, Watkins or Cooks on the team, let him walk, but until 1000 yards and 4.3 speed is on the roster, you need the insurance.
          We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

forgot they have him till 2016, but still IMO you don't just toss him till you have his replacement.
            We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Yea, I can't see him getting cut unless things go downhill fast. But that is always possible when you have media knuckleheads stirring up a young guy who is wound tight anyway. The team isn't going to fall all over him but they really should work hard to make sure it isn't played out in the media (of course that works for both sides).
              Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
              Hope is not a strategy
              RIP

Comment

Shit Just keeps getting more weird. Last week Jackson was totally in the dark and couldn't reach Chip and now Jackson is not returning Chip's calls. WTF ?

Report: DeSean Jackson Hasn't Returned Chip Kelly's Calls

By Brandon Lee Gowton@BrandonGowton on Mar 22 2014, 4:59p 246

Communication issues?
                Tweet Share on Twitter (26) Share Share on Facebook (11)  Share Share with Eagles friends 246 Comments ⋆ Rec Recommend this Post 1

According to a report from Derrick Gunn of CSN Philly, DeSean Jackson hasn't been in communication with Eagles head coach Chip Kelly since the end of last season.

This report follows a Tim McManus report from earlier in the week that stated DeSean Jackson is aware of the trade rumors surrounding his name. The problem, though, is that Jackson's camp claims to be kept in the dark about the star receiver's future status with the team. The report from McManus seemed to imply the Eagles have not made an effort to contact Jackson.
                "We're in the dark like everyone else," said a source close to Jackson. "[We] thought [Chip Kelly] would at least be worthy of some kind of communication."
                It's interesting because Kelly isn't known for being a poor communicator. In fact, it's just the opposite. Kelly is known for being a great communicator. From the McManus story, referencing the 2012 offseason:
                "I called everybody," said Kelly. "I called Brent Celek when we took a tight end and James Casey. I called Mike [Vick] and we talked to Jason Peters and we talked to Todd Herremans. It’s just kind of the way we’ve done things. When we signed people in free agency I called our guys just to make sure they know where we were. I’m really big on open communication. I don’t want there to be gray areas. I think sometimes there are gray areas because there’s a lack of communication between people."
                So if Jackson knows is confused about where he stands with the team, why isn't he answering Kelly's calls?
                Perhaps the Eagles haven't tried to contact Jackson after all. Or maybe Jackson just doesn't want to hear things he doesn't like.
                Either way, it looks like what we've got here is failure to communicate.

Comment

I mentioned the possible drug angle earlier in the week,

DeSean Basically DeGone

Posted: March 22nd, 2014 | Author: Tommy Lawlor | Filed under: Philadelphia Eagles | 122 Comments

At this point I think we can stop the question of if DeSean Jackson will become an ex-Eagle and focus on when that will happen. Everyday the reports grow in volume and strength. Just a week ago Jeff McLane slammed the door on the notion of DeSean being traded. Now that’s changed.
                  The Eagles have intensified their efforts to trade Pro Bowl wide receiver DeSean Jackson in the last week, according to three independent NFL sources.
                  While there have been earlier reports that teams reached out to inquire about Jackson, in several cases it has been the Eagles that have directly or indirectly shopped the wide receiver to gauge interest, two of the sources said.
                  The team had no comment on Friday.
                  The Eagles’ marketing of Jackson leads to the near inevitable conclusion that he will not be with the team this season.
                  I don’t mention this as criticism of McLane. The initial report did seem crazy. McLane checked with his sources and heard no info about Jackson being on the outs. Obviously McLane talked to some new sources and got a very different story.
                  No one is sure exactly what to make of this situation right now. Confusion runs rampant.
                  Many of you have asked how I think the Eagles have handled the situation. The knee-jerk reaction is to rip them for letting this turn into a disaster. But I’m not sure that’s totally fair.

Right now the Eagles know all the facts. We don’t. We can only speculate about what caused a seemingly benign situation to go toxic so quickly. It sure feels like the Eagles know something we don’t.
                  Back in 1990 the Eagles made a shocking cut of a gifted young WR. Cris Carter hauled in 11 TD passes in 1989 and was given his walking papers after the season was over. The Eagles caught a lot of flak for this. Buddy Ryan’s infamous response, “All he does is catch touchdowns.”
                  Later on we found out that Carter was an alcoholic and drug addict. Carter will tell you that Buddy Ryan not only saved his career, but saved his life by cutting him. Carter had his”moment of clarity” when he got cut. That caused him so sober up and change his life.
                  My point isn’t to say that DeSean has the same situation as Carter did, but rather that there could be unknowns that will help the situation to make more sense down the road. If this is just about sideline spats with Bob Bicknell, DeSean not fitting the Chip Kelly way and things like that, I will be disappointed for sure.
                  I’m not going to speculate on what issues there could be with Jackson. Do that as you like. You do read stuff like this and it does make you wonder what goes on around him.

This is one weird situation that still has a long way to go. We may not know the full story for a while.

Comment

Draft day trade. He could allow you to move up from second round to late first and pick another WR or defensive player.
                    You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Musicman, I saw that special on Chris Carter too and was quite a revelation. For years and especially watching his success in Minnesota, I was really pissed at Ryan. I looked at Ryan as a complete douche with no skills at evaluating offensive talent. Sorry Buddy.

Now, I don't believe Jackson is a drug addict, but I also believe, "where there's smoke, there's fire". There's some underlying reason the Eagles don't want him on the team and it's not because he doesn't have talent.

Chip is still too new to get a pass on everything, but he has made enough moves that have worked out in the Eagles favor to garner a "wait and see" attitude.

Just for conjecture's sake, I'm sure his LA cronies aren't doing him any favors by tagging him on Instagram or Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post
                        Draft day trade. He could allow you to move up from second round to late first and pick another WR or defensive player.
                        I just don't see that AW because of his huge contract. At least the contract is written so we can at least cut the little asshole. They never did trust him and now it is coming true. I can't believe that we finally have a game breaker and we just have to let him go. And I think that we have to do just that because it will be a circus if he is in camp. The distractions the Eagles are trying to avoid will even be worse if he shows up.

Comment

True on the contract.

But, he is 27 and talented. If they cut him there would be a bidding war. More likely - and this is almost certainly happening behind the scenes - the agent has been given permission to talk to any team about a trade/restructure. We may not get what we want but we will get something. If we don't get anything, I will be disappointed but it is time for him to leave so we don't have a TO the Sequel next year.
                          You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

[QUOTE=andrewaters;245110]True on the contract.

But, he is 27 and talented. If they cut him there would be a bidding war. More likely - and this is almost certainly happening behind the scenes - the agent has been given permission to talk to any team about a trade/restructure. We may not get what we want but we will get something. If we don't get anything, I will be disappointed but it is time for him to leave so we don't have a TO the Sequel next year.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately that about sums it up AW. Sucks!!

Comment

This sucks. I did not want him gone. Still kinda hoping it's a silly story but seems less likely every day.

Jackson fired Rosenhaus last year, right? I wonder if it's his new agent who wants a new deal even more, since he won't start getting a percentage until the contract gets redone. Hard to imagine Joel Segal messing up things a lot, but maybe there is some behind-the-scenes stuff going on which has gone bad.

Maybe the trade for Sproles has changed things... maybe he is the stretch-the-field guy now, which made DeSean expendable.

Comment

My question right now is.....how did this situation get created?

How did we get here?

We have not heard ANYTHING from any of the principal players that you can point to as creating hostility. From what we know, Desean has not said anything to the Eagles organization, and the Eagles Org has not said anything to him.

All we've see/heard, and that has been driving this thing has been "media reports".

How F-ed up would it be if we lost the most talented WR we have drafted in decades due to the media stirring the pot?
                                http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Working...
                                X